Building custom pups for my use

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
mavrothal

#21 Post by mavrothal »

== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

6502coder

#22 Post by 6502coder »

kimble wrote:6502coder suggests an answer: Apache, Apt, Aptitude, ClamAV, Cheese, fonts, gcc, Python2/3, Perl, Gnome, Imgemagick, Libreoffice, Thunderbird, Vim. These are all apps except Gnome and apt.
It's not just the apps per se, but their dependencies too. That's why trying to install an Ubuntu DEB on a UPup so often results in "dependency hell," where you end up having chase down a bunch of libs that a stock Ubuntu would have had as standard equipment. All those libs add up.

kimble

#23 Post by kimble »

I've just been trying slitaz, which has a 50 MB download and boots to a state where lxtask reports 88 MB being used and only 12 processes: lxde-things (openbox, pcmanfm, lxpanel, lxsession, menu-cached), gvfs-stuff and dbus. It uses a local browser to issue management actions and monitoring and reports.

I saved my changed to SSD, but didn't manage to get revised GRUB sorted out, but that was the only failing.

kimble

#24 Post by kimble »

Just to explain, Slitaz-5.0 is a "live" OS, running in RAM, and it doesn't have persistence (despite what it says in some articles). But it does seem to have a way to generate a new iso from the filestore, which you can then burn to CD or USB-stick, although its very slow and lengthy, so only acceptable if your set up doesn't change very often. The weakness of the whole thing is its use of grub4dos, whose "manual" is 4,000 lines long and full of ancient history about changes made to booting standards.

In the end I just had to give up since nothing worked, with my Ubuntu system stranded and unbootable.

There is currently only 1 guy working on version-6.0 (in Poland) and it has been "80% there" for months. The forum isn't sending out passwords to complete registering, and the last post was a few months ago. This is a great pity as a lot of work has obviously gone into it.