Washing your hands

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
musher0

#101 Post by musher0 »

Not picking up that glove. Think what you like, guys.

But aren't we a bit far from the initial topic?
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

greengeek

#102 Post by greengeek »

musher0 wrote:But aren't we a bit far from the initial topic?
You have previously said you believe COVID is not man made, and is a natural virus that just popped up.

So if you are correct wouldn't it be a natural question to ask why? ie: what is happening to the environment to explain such phenomena?

Maybe this is only the first of many plagues that may typify the end of the interglacial period?

Is it enough to keep washing hands and wearing masks? Some of us seek for deeper statistics and information.

musher0

#103 Post by musher0 »

Hi greengeek.

Yes I provided two sources saying that the SARS-Coronavirus-2 (aka (COVID-19)
evolved naturally. The first of those sources being the Scripps Research Institute in the
USA and the second one from the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses.

I'm repeating those sources here because our moderator has suppressed the thread
where I had provided the original URLs -- that thread had come to have too many
flames in it, if my understanding is correct

If one searches for the origin of the COVID-19 virus, why search for it among volcanoes
or in magnetic fields or in sounds from the sky? A virus is a living being, not a continental
plate colliding with another continental plate, for God's sake.

A virus is not a planetary magnetic field either.

Let's look in the right places, using common sense. One should compare comparables,
shouldn't we?

If you wish to believe there is some sort of Apocalypse happening now, feel free.
I dont.

I have done this research of origins for the other thread, and can't repeat it verbatim.
From what I can remember of that research -- not re-doing it for anybody's pretty eyes!

-- patient 0 was a lady hair-dresser from Wuhan who bought some bat-infected
pangolin meat at the "wet" market in that city. She survived to tell her story.
The inquiry by the Chinese health authorities support the idea of bat-infected
wild meat illegally sold at that market.

-- Now before anyone comes up with this argument, Wuhan's Level-4 virology lab
is approx. 20 miles away from downtown Wuhan. It's called a Level-4 lab because
there are 4 levels of security whenever anyone goes in or comes out of it. I know this
because Canada has a similar one in the vicinity of Winnipeg, Manitoba.

So, it is highly unlikely that one of their scientists could on a whim go fetch fried rice for
lunch at a Mom-and-Pop across the road. Go to their site and look at the photographs
of their building: there is no food vendor in sight, it's in the countryside.

Plus remember that every time you go in or out of this facility, you have to submit routinely
to 4 levels of decontamination. Chinese scientists are probably just as practical as the
other guy: they probably bring their brown-bag lunch to work.

Finally a word about good logic. Here is a classic example of correct syllogism:
-- Peter is a man. (Individual as part of a general category)
-- Men are mortal. (Characteristic of same general category)
-- Therefore Peter is mortal. (Application of characteristic of general category
to individual of said category)

There is no logic whatsoever to:
-- COVID-19 is a new virus. (Individual as part of a general category)
-- Volcano X is erupting. (Event happening to an individual of a different category)
-- Therefore COVID-19 and Volcano X are part of the same phenomenon.
(Wrong because a virus and a volcano have nothing in common.)
The latter conclusion is simply a resurgence of magical thinking driven by fear of the
unknown. That's what conspiracy theories are, and why I am not interested in them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
About sounds from the sky, if I may, just to lighten the mood -- I heard them too,
as a woodpecker was wood pecking in a tall tree about 100 feet West-South-West
from my balcony and about 75 feet in the air. The sound did indeed seem to be coming
from the sky! :D Trrrrrrrrrrrrrit! Trrrrrrrrrrrrrit! Trrrrrrrrrrrrrit! :) Hi Woody!

Regards.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

greengeek

#104 Post by greengeek »

musher0 wrote:A virus is a living being....
This statement - along with the rest of your post - is bogus nonsense.

musher0

#105 Post by musher0 »

greengeek wrote:
musher0 wrote:A virus is a living being....
This statement - along with the rest of your post - is bogus nonsense.
Ok fine. I double-checked and strictly speaking, a virus is not "alive", it's inert until it comes in
contact with an organism it can infect. Big deal: it's still part of biology.

Anyway, "bogus" to you too.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Moose On The Loose

Re: more than it seems

#106 Post by Moose On The Loose »

Enrique Corbellini wrote: 5) Earth's magnetosphere going crazy for an entire day.
Magnetic storms are far from a rare thing.
Most of the time people generally don't have the time to bother with them since for most people most of the time they don't matter. They tend to happen about a week after something funny happens on the sun.

A few very boring facts.

I will use nT (nanotesla) as a unit so all numbers are of the same scale.

Up near the north pole the earths field is about 90,000nT
Some place in Brazil, it decrease to about 20,000nT
For most people we can say it is about 50,000nT
Because of the solar wind interacting with the earths field, there is a variation that looks a lot like a 200nT sine wave with a period of one day.
On top of this there are short term things of about 1nT that happen at about a 1 second time frame.
A magnetic storm is the field going wildly up and down by about 200nT in times that are seconds to minutes and lasting about one day.
A big truck driving past on a road about 10 meters away makes a change of about 100nT. Most cars would be under 10nT at that range.
Thus all these things are generally well below 1%

When you go inside your car, or into a building or many other things like that you will see the field strength change by perhaps as much as 20,000nT

If you are any part of almost any city, you will see about 100nT at either 150 or 180Hz and about 1/2 that at 50 or 60Hz. You have to get very far from power lines to get under 10nT of the mains stuff.

If your city has a DC powered electric train system like a subway or the like there will be many other interesting things happening in the few seconds time frame.

Devices that can measure the earths field to a fraction of 1nT are available at prices mere mortals can afford. For more money you can get down to something like 0.001nT / sqrt(Hz)
"sqrt(Hz)" compensates for the fact that you can do better on the noise numbers by averaging readings but this costs you in the number of readings per second. Statistics gives you the sqrt(N) thing.

An unexploded WW2 bomb will show up as something like 1nT at the surface of the earth. Bigger ones then to punch deeper into the earth.

The human body makes small magnetic fields. My heart for example makes about a 0.1nT spike at a 1Hz rate when measured about 1cm above the surface of my chest over the spot that makes the biggest signal.

ras

#107 Post by ras »

Thirty years ago, I watched the northern lights flicking on and off like a 4 year old was playing with the light switch. But we survived.
RAS

musher0

#108 Post by musher0 »

This video has restored some of my confidence in Americans:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sN_JAHg7DM
Not all of them are coviots, thank God!
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~