A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
foxpup

indicator lights

#281 Post by foxpup »

bigpup wrote: From Slacko 700 B3 topic:
01micko wrote:Try this on CLI..

Code: Select all

modprobe input-leds
It's a new thing since kernel 4.2.x (previously I only shipped up to 4.1.x). I have a fix pending.
This code worked for me.
Lights now working.
I added the line (provisionally) in /etc/rc.d/rc.local.
It works :-)

melon688

#282 Post by melon688 »

Install .iso to USB encountered a problem.

Install --> BootFlash USB installer --> USB-HDD
--> (Install .iso to USB)

1.Xenialpup64 7.0.8.5 Fail
2.Tahrpup64 6.0.5 Fail
3.precise-5.7.1 OK

rcrsn51

#283 Post by rcrsn51 »

You might want to consider the alternate USB install method here.

doggone

#284 Post by doggone »

Printing to a physical printer doesn’t work for me in Xenialpup64 7.0.8.4&5. It worked in Xenialpup64 7.0.8.1. Is any one else having trouble with this? I have tried it on 2 different desktops with 3 different printers. CUPS reports, “Processing - “Sending data to printer.

rcrsn51

#285 Post by rcrsn51 »

Name a specific printer that does not work - the FULL model name please.

[Edit] Using Xenialpup64 7085, I installed a Brother laser printer using the Gutenprint driver. It worked correctly.

doggone

#286 Post by doggone »

The printers are:
Lexmark E210 used as USB
Konica Minolta Page Pro 1400W
Xerox Phaser Color 6110
The Page Pro and Xerox are USB only. I had to compile drivers for the Page Pro and Xerox, however these drivers worked with your Xenialpup64 7.0.8.1. both kernels 4.9.13 and 4.9.15.
Have you had a physical printer work? If you have, I’ll keep working on my end. By the way, everything I tried in 7.0.8.5 works as expected including remaster.

rcrsn51

#287 Post by rcrsn51 »

doggone wrote:Have you had a physical printer work?
Yes. Using a clean install of Xenial64 7085 with a Brother laser printer and the built-in Gutenprint driver.

Unfortunately, I cannot test your models unless I have drivers for them.

Have you tested this with a clean install?

If you have done a remaster, make sure that /tmp still has a full set of permissions.

watchdog

#288 Post by watchdog »

[quote="doggone"]CUPS reports, “Processing - “Sending data to printer.

doggone

#289 Post by doggone »

rcrsn51 wrote: Have you tested this with a clean install?

Yes I have done a fresh install. My install is a frugal install and consist of just copying 4 files (initrd.gz, puppy_xenialpup64_7.0.8.5.sfs, vmlinuz and zdrv_xenialpup64_7.0.8.5.sfs) to a directory from the iso and run grub4dos to populate the menu.1st.

In the case of the Lexmark 210, it uses the built-in foomatic filters and ghostscript. The ppd file is from Open Printer Data Base. The “Lexmark-E210-gdi.ppd
Attachments
CUPS_SendingData.png
The printer does not respond and no light flash on the printer indicating the transmittal of data has occurred.
(71.36 KiB) Downloaded 151 times

rcrsn51

#290 Post by rcrsn51 »

I suspect that the culprit here is the version of /usr/bin/foomatic-rip in Xenialpup64. Try the version from tahr64 attached below.

Extract it and copy the file to /usr/bin.
Attachments
foomatic-rip-tahr64.tar.gz
(51.93 KiB) Downloaded 97 times

doggone

#291 Post by doggone »

You beat me to it on the foomatic-rip. I was just about to send the following post.
------------------------------------------
I think I have found why printing does not work for me in Xenialpup64_7.0.8.5.

The file /usr/bin/foomatic-rip is the problem. Comparing properties foomatic-rip of Xenialpup64_7.0.8.1 and properties of foomatic-rip in Xenialpup64_7.0.8.5, they are of a different type.

If I copy foomatic-rip from .1 to .5, printing now works in .5. I haven’t checked it out extensively but I think it will work.

mikeslr

Xenial Pups -- The Wallpaper

#292 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

A little while ago Marley asked why the image of XenialPup looked like a squirrel. I had an idea, but before responding, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... b0a#951335, did some googling. During that search a photo caught my eye. Having a distorted sense of perception, I can't draw worth a scratch. But with gimp and poetic license, I thought it made a fairly nice Wallpaper. If the Jungle Icon Theme is used under Pupstate 13 --ignoring that the jungle is not their natural habitat-- the desktop red Save icon provides an interesting contrast.

Note for purists: The pictured ground squirrels, although of the correct Genus, may not be right species. Perhaps an expert would be able to recognize significant distinctions. And while not an expert in Copyrite Law, it is my understanding that the original photo, while copyrited*, is subject to "fair comment" and can be reproduced for personal use which was my original intention. My only regret is that I did not make a note of who originally published the photo so that I could give credit where credit was due.

mikesLr

* Even though no "Branding" appeared on the photo.
Attachments
xenial2.png
Facing an uncertain future
(76.08 KiB) Downloaded 816 times

Puppyt

#293 Post by Puppyt »

looks like a still from a squirrel blue movie :)
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

rek769

Peazip

#294 Post by rek769 »

Greetings all,
Recently decided to give another 64 bit puppy a try and so far Xenialpup64 is working well for me.
One minor issue is that I like to use Peazip as I have need to encrypt certain archives and it is also a cross platform application. The sad part is that Peazip is not a native 64 bit app. As such, they state that when using one of their 64 bit deb files that the ia-32 libs are required for the software to run properly.
I discovered that the ia-32 libs are no longer available in Ubuntu/Debian repos. I tried installing the 32bit compatibility libs through sfsget but that didn't help. So, I installed the portable version of Peazip. Portable will launch and seems to work, however, when one tries to open any archive (encrypted or non) the program crashes with a segmentation fault. Not sure what to do from this point so was hoping for some community wisdom.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

mikeslr

32 bit Compatibility libs

#295 Post by mikeslr »

Hi rek769,

I knew 32 bit compatibility libs were available for Xenialpup64 as I run portable-wine (a 32bit application) which needs them. But trying to figure out where I got them required a Wellminded Search which turned up the following information, the first part of which I hadn't realized. [Still don't know how I originally got them. Applied the adage, "When you find what you're look for, stop looking"].

(1) Per the first post of this thread, :shock: type sfsget in a terminal. :lol:

(2) Follow the instructions at the bottom of this post: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 435#936435. As I don't want to take the time to locate philb666's instructions regarding editing /etc/ld.so.conf, install the pet I provided.

I think the sfs you'll download is one philb666 specifically published for Xenialpup64 rather than a recycle of that published for Tahrpup64. . But, the rest of the instructions haven't changed.

FYI, as I always have portable-wine installed --when not in use it only requires a couple of Mbs of RAM-- to expedite its use I converted the SFS to a pet and installed it. That, however, will eat up about 175 Mbs of a SaveFile. It's of no consequence if you're using a SaveFolder.

mikesLr

rek769

Peazip

#296 Post by rek769 »

Thanks for the help Mikeslr,
I have the 32bit compatibility sfs loaded and I installed the pet that you provided. Now, launching the non-portable version of Peazip throws this:

peazip: error while loading shared libraries: libX11.so.6: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

The portable version still crashes when trying to open any archive...

I did notice while reading in the Peazip forums that compatibility checking may interfere with the non-portable version's functionality. As such, when installing in Ubuntu or Mint using dpkg, the flag --force-architecture should be used. I am wondering if this might be an issue in Xenialpup...

mikeslr

Peazip portable

#297 Post by mikeslr »

Hi rek769

64bit Pups based on Ubuntu, with 32-bit compatibility installed/loaded, have problems with some 32-bit applications; sometimes its necessary to move or symlink libs from one place to another. I don't run Slacko64s often enough to tell you whether they have similar problems. Sometimes resolvable; sometimes not.

Regardless, wondering whether XP's version (or portable version) might be of use, I googled and discovered there was a "sort-of" 64bit Linux version. You'll find it here: http://www.peazip.org/peazip-linux-64.html. I chose the portable version, which bears this description:

"does not require installation, simply de-compress and start the application clicking on peazip binary natively compiled for x86-64, ia-32 libs required only for some additional backend binaries"

It's at the top of the webpage, the first of three, and bears the name "Portable x86-64 GTK2".

I downloaded it and right-clicked the file which ends with tar.gz, selecting UExtract from the popup menu. That produced a folder named "peazip_portable+plus other defining symbols too boring to type+Extracted". See below. Within that folder was another folder, same name, but without the "extracted" ending. And within the later folder was an executable appropriately named "peazip". Left-clicking "peazip" started the application without incident. As I'm currently running Xenialpup64, it should provide you the application you need.

Originally In order to keep my SaveFile small, and as I try-out different Puppies and debiandogs --the same application will often be used by more than one*-- I've gotten into the practice of running portable applications from /mnt/home whenever I can. They usually don't care what name is used for their folder.

With peazip, I changed the interior folder's name to just peazip64 --to distinguish it from a possible 32-bit portable-- and moved it to a folder on /mnt/home I had named Pup-Apps. The Pup-Apps folder is just to maintain a semblance of order on /mnt/home.

As a portable, peazip's folder can be placed anywhere. If you're using a SaveFolder, a frequently used location is /opt. That's where LibreOffice, Chrome and its clones place their folders.

For ease of access, I create menu entry via a pet consisting of three files, a bash script "on the path", an icon in /usr/share/pixmaps, and a desktop file in /usr/share/application which uses the other two and is used to create a menu entry. I've attached the pet. Peazip appears on the Utilities submenu. If you place your peazip folder somewhere else, after installing the pet, browse to its script at /usr/bin and edit this line:

exec /mnt/home/Pup-Apps/peazip64/peazip "$@"

to wherever you've placed the folder. For example,

exec /opt/peazip64/peazip "$@"

being careful with case and spelling.

I'm not certain to what extent you'll still need the 32-bit compatibility SFS. The text from the webpage I quoted can be interpreted a couple of ways. Or, it may depend on the structure of the file you are trying to unzip.

mikesLr

* portables and AppImages, are designed to be "self-contained" and self-referential. The latter may be why it doesn't throw a "wrong ELF" error. Sometimes, however, they may expect a lib to have been included in the base system; or the presence of a framework such as Qt.

Opening a terminal to the executable's location and entering the code "ldd NAME OF EXECUTABLE" can show what is missing.
Attachments
peazip64-.09.pet
Create Menu Entry for peazip64 portable
(106.24 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
Last edited by mikeslr on Sat 17 Jun 2017, 01:59, edited 2 times in total.

rek769

Peazip portable

#298 Post by rek769 »

MikeSlr,
I had already had the portable version installed. I did, just for giggles, install your pet and move the portable folder to the same location as you had it. I never did have any problems opening the portable version. Its just that trying to open an archive results in a crash / seg fault. Still the same problem with your pet installed and the folder moved to the new location.
I can create archives with no issue but opening them is a no-go...

mikeslr

#299 Post by mikeslr »

Dah. :oops: I should have read your original post more carefully. Overcoming a "Wrong Elf" error is difficult as it involves somehow getting Puppy to pursue other than its default path. I'm don't recall ever solving it.

Perhaps, now that you have 32bit libs loaded, you might install wine, and then the windows 32bit version of peazip from here:http://www.peazip.org/peazip-portable.html Wine is 32-bit, and once it's called it doesn't look back to the primary OS for anything.

As I said, the pet I attached merely created a menu entry. You can modify it to call programs via wine. Just edit the 2nd line of script at /usr/bin to read:

wine /FULL-PATH-TO-FOLDER/FOLDER_NAME/peazip.exe

If using wine portable, change wine to wine.sh

If you need to use several/many Window programs, I recommend portable-wine as it resides outside of a SaveFile and it container expands as needed.

By the way, is the file you're trying to extract 32-bit or 64-bit? Maybe if I knew exactly what file, I could explore further.

mikesLr

PS: (1) Just ran peazip (the Linux "64bit" portable) setting a password, choosing peazip compression and had no problem. But I choose peazip compression after recalling that I had explored peazip previously and found several of its other compression modules disfunctional. See, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 424#815424. Which compression module were you trying to use?

rek769

Peazip

#300 Post by rek769 »

Now that is interesting...I just created a new, encrypted archive using PEA compression and after a successful creation I was then able to open it without crashing Peazip. Interestingly, I was using ZIP compression prior to this and that type of archive will crash Peazip every time I try to open it.
Thanks for pointing this out. At least I can now create encrypted archives, albeit with a different type of compression. Now to test each one and see what works best. Thanks again!

Update: There are only 4 compression schemes in the 64bit portable version of Peazip that allow encrypting archives with a password: 7Z, ARC, PEA, and ZIP
Using Xenailpup64, I can create archives using any one of those (and all the other compression schemes) with no problem. However, once they are created the only type that I can open without crashing the program is PEA. This makes me think that perhaps there is some additional functionality that may be missing either from the 64bit version or from the portable version (or both). Luckily, being able to use a specific compression scheme is not a show stopper as the recipient of the archives I send is also a Peazip user and, as such, can open PEA compressed archives. Hopefully, in the future, the makers of Peazip will create a fully compatible 64 bit version and eliminate these issues.

Update 2: As with most things in Linux, if you aren't satisfied with something there are usually a myriad of alternatives from which to select. In searching for an alternative to Peazip, I found that I can create ZIP encrypted archives from the command line using 7zip...which is apparently already part of XenPup64...yea command line!