yes, it's true, lubuntu minimal is better

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
oui

yes, it's true, lubuntu minimal is better

#1 Post by oui »

because the developers of Lubuntu did take care on the users...

(important: I have really Lubuntu 16.04 installed! A really big Lubuntu installation :roll: because, it is as Puppy, you can install and install and install and continue to install :idea: )

distrowatch.com says

lubuntu rang 20
puppy rang 21 (only :? !)

it is correct:

all lubuntu after-first-installation software is ultra-modern software
in my language!

only start synaptic and after 5..10 minutes, it works perfectly

and nothing search, nothing claim in the forum, nothing ... STOP! all is good!

I have only a deception in Lubuntu (and in Puppy, not only one, but under the deceptions the same: Pulseaudio does not the awaiting job...)
and for that reason, I did install full Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Lubuntu (it is possible with «taksel» and since this time, no problem any more! all doc's and manpages are available in the actual version in my language, I can change the language each restart! What do I will more :idea: ? )

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Your system specs? That thing wants a gig-a-ram. How about a link? Oh wait, you were too excited? :D
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Sailor Enceladus

#3 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

One of my laptops came with lubuntu, that lasted about 30 minutes... then I put Slacko 5.7 on it instead.
lubuntu just hung on a black screen for a minute before anything appeared, not sure if that's normal but lubuntu is toast now. :twisted:

LazY Puppy

#4 Post by LazY Puppy »

I had tried to install Lubuntu onto the machine of my girlfriend a few years back. It just didn't boot into the graphical desktop. Tried Xubuntu which crashed when trying to set up mouse and keyboard settings. I recall it was version 11 or 12 of Lubuntu / Xubuntu.

Puppy runs fine on that machine - from Lucid, Precise today now up to Tahr.

I won't miss it anymore and I'm not interested to use or even to test a so-called major distro - as I love to run as root, everytime!
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

Smithy

#5 Post by Smithy »

"I had tried to install Lubuntu onto the machine of my girlfriend a few years back. It just didn't boot into the graphical desktop."

I think we've all been there once or twice RSH.
Try mood lighting, maybe a bottle of wine and some sweet talk :wink:

nic007

#6 Post by nic007 »

I'm only interested in linux distributions which can be installed frugally to HDD or whatever media, like puppy ie. read-only base files and the ability to run fully in RAM if necessary.

drunkjedi

#7 Post by drunkjedi »

Smithy wrote:"I had tried to install Lubuntu onto the machine of my girlfriend a few years back. It just didn't boot into the graphical desktop."

That will work with girlfriend, what's your suggestion for wife?

I keep getting BSOD there.....
;)

belham2

#8 Post by belham2 »

drunkjedi wrote:
Smithy wrote:"I had tried to install Lubuntu onto the machine of my girlfriend a few years back. It just didn't boot into the graphical desktop."

;)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, nowadays, what is the diff between, say, Lubuntu and Xubuntu? I admit to still having a USB loaded with Lubuntu. It boots up & runs fine on every machine I've tried it on, at home and/or otherwise, but still....... Why don't both ubuntu-based teams just merge and develop a DE called-- something like-- XXXE (fusing XFCE & LXDE together)? Next, they go focus on making XXXE so stable (on every platform it could possibly exist on) that is always accused of being 'boring'.

You know: boring can be good. Boring is nice. Boring may be wonderful. In many cases.

oui

#9 Post by oui »

Hi Rainer
LazY Puppy wrote:I had tried to install Lubuntu onto the machine of my girlfriend a few years back. It just didn't boot into the graphical desktop. Tried Xubuntu which crashe

as those time in the past, Puppy was probably yet

rang 9 .. 11

at distrowatch :idea:

and never a dark screen any more after Puppy 1.07..1.08 (in Ubuntu, you are right, often!)

but Puppy is now over rang 20 and my circles are oval and I can't open my old emails in the Mozilla-Suite any more as a lot of new Puppy's did not respect the initial choice for mozilla suite, renouncing simultaneously to important figures of that mozilla suite: email management and processing, html wysyg editing, irc :twisted: !

can you understand that, only that, or is that to difficult for you?

exactly at this time, LazY Pup was probably the best Linux product over all, with a future shining as never a Linux distribution did have!

and today?

LazY Pup is a forgotten distro because some one did play continuously with the name of the parts of it and, so, break himself the good reputation of his products (how is knowing what is some SARA or TOPLESS? nobody! it is already completely forgot as far you did ever know what it was! You can't find some information thread any more! you can't find some manual any more!) and because someone did require that the user have to learn and set up something where all other, android phones learn that the users at first, but also Puppy, «all happens without toil, you only hit on the icon and the pc does all what you need itself without to require somewhat from you!»

it was the pure Puppy logic initially!

after that, cryptic figures was added:

- save files
- different package figures (dotpup > dotpet > dotsfs > dotLP2...sfs!)
- different external sources (the success full initial Puppy did have his own sources!)
etc...

Rainer, your ideas were best but your individualism did block them...

Puppy was the first Linux you can use really spontaneously (without to have to learn some what: burn the iso, start the iso, choice an icon, all icons were spontaneously saying what they do, and use it) and forget all other considerations paining usually all the other Linux users!

Forgotten?

PS: we are German, you and I (sometimes: I live 1/2 century now in Germany). We did have our own very light distribution completely Ubuntu compatible, but now discountinued, with synaptic and no dark screen at all. Her symbol was not a dog but a light cat :wink: the last name was Debris Linux (initially Beatrix Linux with the cat), it was a German distro... in English, as Ubuntu is in English, or, better, 4 languages immediately to choice, en/de/fr/sp. ISO size 180 MB at the time Puppy did also become 180 MB but having no access to synaptic...

oui

#10 Post by oui »

drunkjedi wrote:

;)
an apple?

since Ubuntu Pangolin my wife did claim and claim and claim...

on Puppy as well as in Ubuntu

Mr. "our son" did solve it and give his old apple to his mum and never an claim any more...

it works and works and she never restarts. son says that it is economical on apple, (as well as) no electricity consumption if the lap of the laptop is closed. she goes 100 time daily to it and look and search somewhat...

... as in the past in Puppy 1.xx (but the energy use were not good on our book-PC made in China with i486 and 64 MB).

I don't use some apple because I will and need an resolution of 1920 x 1080 and old apple don't have that!

Pelo

Ubuntu and Co take care of users ?

#11 Post by Pelo »

Something i agree with OUI : Ubuntu and Co take care of users... hum, i should say that users deal with user's problems, That would be more precise.
I am registered as user on Ubuntu forum. But I .. don't Like Ubuntu (the OS).
In fact users there don't try to change UNBUNTU, but only to explain how to use it.
Tutorials are ver useful.
But Puppy Linux is My OS, because fast and fun. Beware the roots who run Puppy only as a laboratory mouse, needing no users with their silly questions :!:

Sailor Enceladus

#12 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Distrowatch ratings don't have much value on real world usage. You don't need to click on distrowatch much or at all because the best puppies (all the alphas and betas that oui loves :lol: ) are found on links on the forum where you can leave feedback.

rokytnji

#13 Post by rokytnji »

I ran LXDE for awhile.

Then I turned 12. :P

8Geee

#14 Post by 8Geee »

My eeePC's ran Xandros for a while, then I found Puppy (Slacko). :P
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

8Geee

#15 Post by 8Geee »

belham2 wrote:
drunkjedi wrote:

;)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, nowadays, what is the diff between, say, Lubuntu and Xubuntu? I admit to still having a USB loaded with Lubuntu. It boots up & runs fine on every machine I've tried it on, at home and/or otherwise, but still....... Why don't both ubuntu-based teams just merge and develop a DE called-- something like-- XXXE (fusing XFCE & LXDE together)? Next, they go focus on making XXXE so stable (on every platform it could possibly exist on) that is always accused of being 'boring'.

You know: boring can be good. Boring is nice. Boring may be wonderful. In many cases.
I dunno, can you fit that iso on ONE CD ? :twisted:
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

LazY Puppy

#16 Post by LazY Puppy »

Hello, oui.
oui wrote:Hi Rainer
LazY Puppy wrote:I had tried to install Lubuntu onto the machine of my girlfriend a few years back. It just didn't boot into the graphical desktop. Tried Xubuntu which crashe

as those time in the past, Puppy was probably yet

rang 9 .. 11

at distrowatch :idea:

and never a dark screen any more after Puppy 1.07..1.08 (in Ubuntu, you are right, often!)

but Puppy is now over rang 20 and my circles are oval and I can't open my old emails in the Mozilla-Suite any more as a lot of new Puppy's did not respect the initial choice for mozilla suite, renouncing simultaneously to important figures of that mozilla suite: email management and processing, html wysyg editing, irc :twisted: !

can you understand that, only that, or is that to difficult for you?

exactly at this time, LazY Pup was probably the best Linux product over all, with a future shining as never a Linux distribution did have!

and today?

LazY Pup is a forgotten distro because some one did play continuously with the name of the parts of it and, so, break himself the good reputation of his products (how is knowing what is some SARA or TOPLESS? nobody! it is already completely forgot as far you did ever know what it was! You can't find some information thread any more! you can't find some manual any more!) and because someone did require that the user have to learn and set up something where all other, android phones learn that the users at first, but also Puppy, «all happens without toil, you only hit on the icon and the pc does all what you need itself without to require somewhat from you!»

it was the pure Puppy logic initially!

after that, cryptic figures was added:

- save files
- different package figures (dotpup > dotpet > dotsfs > dotLP2...sfs!)
- different external sources (the success full initial Puppy did have his own sources!)
etc...

Rainer, your ideas were best but your individualism did block them...

Puppy was the first Linux you can use really spontaneously (without to have to learn some what: burn the iso, start the iso, choice an icon, all icons were spontaneously saying what they do, and use it) and forget all other considerations paining usually all the other Linux users!

Forgotten?

PS: we are German, you and I (sometimes: I live 1/2 century now in Germany). We did have our own very light distribution completely Ubuntu compatible, but now discountinued, with synaptic and no dark screen at all. Her symbol was not a dog but a light cat :wink: the last name was Debris Linux (initially Beatrix Linux with the cat), it was a German distro... in English, as Ubuntu is in English, or, better, 4 languages immediately to choice, en/de/fr/sp. ISO size 180 MB at the time Puppy did also become 180 MB but having no access to synaptic...
Yes, LazY Puppy the OS is forgotten, probably my individualism did block my best ideas -as you said-, I don't know, I don't care anymore.

Though, I was not playing continuously around with the name of the parts of LazY Puppy. I just developed and improved some of its new created programs - and the results had been SARA B. and T.O.P.L.E.S.S. (just to name a few).

All my Puppies currently in use are still in original (its main sfs's) and turned into T.O.P.L.E.S.S. (by modifying only its initrd.gz's). My version of T.O.P.L.E.S.S. is currently numbered as 1.2.0 and since version 1.0.4 I'm developing it in DE only for my private needs.

Not because I'm disappointed or angry or what ever, but because I found T.O.P.L.E.S.S. not longer working with the new woof-ce modifications of the init script in that newer initrd-gz files.

So the only way to get new and innovative developments placed into a Puppy by default is to join into the woof-ce team. I'm not interested in that.

So, my innovative developments might be lost for Puppy in a public sense, though it's not for my Puppies in private use/development. And that's what counts after all - at least to me.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

leejosepho

Re: Ubuntu and Co take care of users ?

#17 Post by leejosepho »

Pelo wrote:... Puppy Linux is My OS, because fast and fun. Beware the roots who run Puppy only as a laboratory mouse, needing no users with their silly questions :!:
I do not know what you mean by "roots who run Puppy only as a laboratory mouse, needing no users", so maybe I am one of them? In any case, Puppy is my all-time favorite even though I have used it mostly as a utility and I do not know how to make it do all things. The part I like the most about Puppy, however, is that I do not have to deal with passwords and permissions. Whenever I want to delete something or change something in any OS on my multi-boot machines and run into that kind of trouble, I just boot Puppy and then do as I wish with whatever. Beyond that, however, its Grub4Dos installer almost always works perfectly where other boot loaders are either difficult to set up or do not find everything on a given machine.

Pelo

Grub4Dos : So easy !

#18 Post by Pelo »

"its Grub4Dos installer almost always works perfectly" nice tool.
About users and roots, hard for me to explain in english.
"because the developers of Lubuntu did take care on the users... " toldus OUI.
With Puppy Linux many devs want to learn Linux, for themself, not to help users, in my opinion.

poorguy

#19 Post by poorguy »

I never had any problem installing Lubuntu and when I had no display on boot then I used "nomodset" which gave me a working display.

"nomodset" gives a working display so that an end-user can apply the needed fixes to boot to a working display.

But before I did an install I read about possible problems installing and that helped me a lot because I'm not a Linux Wizard .

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations .

The PoorGuy :wink:

6502coder

#20 Post by 6502coder »

I've never tried Lubuntu, but for a couple of years now I have been using LXLE, which is a derivative of Lubuntu, but lighter. I use it as a replacement for WinXP on a 13-year-old Dell P4 desktop and have been completely happy with it.