Google Chrome opens, minimizes and freezes

Using applications, configuring, problems
Relztrah

Google Chrome opens, minimizes and freezes

#1 Post by Relztrah »

On occasion, especially after I have opened and closed Google Chrome, I will re-launch it, and it minimizes to the taskbar. I can right-click, left-click, double-click and nothing happens. I simply have to power down.

I have only noticed this when I have previously opened and closed Chrome.

I'm using Tahrpub 64 bit. Any thoughts?

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Pssst.. Tell the folks here from where, and which pkg you're running..
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Mike Walsh

#3 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Relztrah.

Y'know, it's funny you should say that. I had exactly the same thing happen to me a couple of days ago in Tahr64.....running my own SFS of Chrome. Never happened before, and, touch wood, it hasn't happened since.....

I ended up right clicking the taskbar icon, then 'Kill'-ing it. That seemed to work. Bit disconcerting, though!

As Semme has requested, it might help to know where you got the package from. If you've installed a .deb package, I can guarantee it'll have messed up permissions in your system..... :roll:

Mike. :wink:

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Maybe the first instance of Chrome did not fully close, leaving a zombie behind to muck up the works. What does Menu -> System -> Pprocess tell you when this happens?

Relztrah

#5 Post by Relztrah »

Oh boy. I thought I should probably stay in the newbie forum but anyway, here's what I found in system information:

Linux Kernel: 3.14.54 (x86_64)
Version: #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Dec 1 17:54:26 GMT 2015

Distro: tahrpup64 6.0.5
Window Manager: JWM v2.3.4
Desktop Start: xwin jwm

Is that helpful?

dancytron

#6 Post by dancytron »

They want to know where you got Chrome from.

From Chrome website, one of Mike Walsh's sfs files, from Ubuntu repo's, from quickpet etc?

You can try to run it from the terminal and then close it and see if there are errors.

drunkjedi

#7 Post by drunkjedi »

Yes this happens to me also in tahe64, I didn't pay any attention to it yet.
The chrome is installed by the get chrome script in menu.
To do it, start chrome, close it, again start it.

conky I have on desktop shows 4 instances of chrome using cpu.
I just restart x, then it starts nicely.

I don't use tahr64 much so didn't investigate much.
I will have to see if mike's SFS does that too.

Mike Walsh

#8 Post by Mike Walsh »

drunkjedi wrote:Yes this happens to me also in tahe64, I didn't pay any attention to it yet.
The chrome is installed by the get chrome script in menu.
To do it, start chrome, close it, again start it.

conky I have on desktop shows 4 instances of chrome using cpu.
I just restart x, then it starts nicely.

I don't use tahr64 much so didn't investigate much.
I will have to see if mike's SFS does that too.
Hi, drunkjedi.

Yeah, that's because with the sandboxing process, every single different sandboxed tab shows up as a separate process. Like, at the moment; I have 4 tabs open.....but I have 12 instances of Chrome showing in System Manager.

Chrome sandbox report:-

As I understand it, the Namespace and Seccomp-BPF sandboxes, and the PID namespaces, all show up as separate processes.....and this is on a 'per tab' basis. This goes partway towards explaining why modern browsers are such memory hogs..!

And BTW; What 'Get Chrome' script in the Menu? Sure you're not getting muddled up with FatDog? :lol:

drunkjedi

#9 Post by drunkjedi »

Sorry mates, I was talking about the script in menu to get latest chrome installed. Not quickpet or something else.

You can find it in "Menu/Internet/Get Latest Chrome Version Tahe64".
It's second option from top in Internet section, below chrome app launcher.
It points to "/root/noob/fetch_google_chrome" script, which just downloads latest and installs.

I don't use Tahr much so not sure if it's something I added. But I am positive it's inbuilt.

Mike Walsh

#10 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hiya, dj.

Could be one of Phil's recent updates; I haven't updated Tahr64 for a while, I must admit. I'll have to give it a whirl, and see what happens.....

Cheers.

Relztrah

#11 Post by Relztrah »

I downloaded it using Quickpet.

Mike Walsh

#12 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, Reltzrah.
Reltzrah wrote:I downloaded it using Quickpet.
Okay, that's fair enough. Now; I don't know quite where that fetches it from; if it fetches it from the Chrome site, and installs it, it could be any version.

If you left-click the Menu icon ('hamburger' (or 3 dots)) top right corner, then Help>About Google Chrome, what version does it give you?

Relztrah

#13 Post by Relztrah »

Thank you for your help. Version 51.0.2704.84 (64-bit)

I trust this is the detail you asked for. I am still looking for that hamburger.

Mike Walsh

#14 Post by Mike Walsh »

I suspect Drunkjedi's 'script' (and the process that Quickpet uses) both 'fetch' Chrome from the Chrome download site. The snag is, it's a well known fact that installing Chrome via a .deb package has a tendency to screw up permissions throughout the system.

Deb packages are primarily Debian-based (and hence what Ubuntu uses.....which is what Tahr64's binaries are based on). Debian (and Ubuntu) are multi-user systems.....and 'root' is sacrosanct, ne'er to be touched by mere 'users'..! :lol:

Since Puppy runs as 'root', it means directories are freely accessed, and used, by the system in a way that they aren't in it's 'parent'. So where Ubuntu is quite happy to have these permissions changed throughout the system (because they don't affect operation), 'tis not the case with Pup.

Of course, you could argue that it's just lazy workmanship on the part of Google's packaging team.....

I think Flash could have a point. Checking all this via Gnome-System-Monitor, even I seem to have 'bits' of orphan Chrome processes all over the place.....when it's not actually running. Have you unticked the checkbox in Settings for 'Allow Chrome apps to run in background when Chrome is closed'? That could have something to do with it. Another one to cut down on resources is the one immediately below it;'Use hardware acceleration when available'. They both need unchecking; it saves on RAM usage, and you don't notice the difference, TBH.

Aside from that, I'll have to put my considering cap on, and have a think about this.....

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#15 Post by Flash »

Here is vovchik's zombie whacker.

Semme

#16 Post by Semme »

:D8) Catchy name -- I like it! For me though, I have xkill bound by xbindkeys..
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

belham2

#17 Post by belham2 »

Flash wrote:Here is vovchik's zombie whacker.
Flash or anyone,

In Ubuntu Mate, Antix16, Fedora 24 and a few other distros I've tried over the past year, I have seen a "kill" icon in the menu under, usually, 'Accessories' and/or 'System'. You can add it to your taskbar, and it just sits there waiting for you to use it. If something goes wrong with whatever script and/or program you're working on, you just glide the mouse over that "kill" icon, right-click once, and suddenly your mouse becomes an assassin. From that right-click on, it is empowered to perform the kill and you just place it anywhere inside the borders of the script or program that locked up, and you just click, and it kills it (you gotta be careful because they wrote it to not be dependent on the desktop environment---if you click on the desktop background anyhere, it will kill the whole DE).

Is there anything like that in puppyland?

I know we can into terminal and type 'ps aux', but then you gotta hunt for the correct thing that failed, and sometimes that is not so easy.

Semme

#18 Post by Semme »

You've asked the wrong person Mate. What you're after is what I mentioned..

Sailor Enceladus

#19 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

belham2 wrote:
Flash wrote:Here is vovchik's zombie whacker.
Flash or anyone,

In Ubuntu Mate, Antix16, Fedora 24 and a few other distros I've tried over the past year, I have seen a "kill" icon in the menu under, usually, 'Accessories' and/or 'System'. You can add it to your taskbar, and it just sits there waiting for you to use it. If something goes wrong with whatever script and/or program you're working on, you just glide the mouse over that "kill" icon, right-click once, and suddenly your mouse becomes an assassin. From that right-click on, it is empowered to perform the kill and you just place it anywhere inside the borders of the script or program that locked up, and you just click, and it kills it (you gotta be careful because they wrote it to not be dependent on the desktop environment---if you click on the desktop background anyhere, it will kill the whole DE).

Is there anything like that in puppyland?

I know we can into terminal and type 'ps aux', but then you gotta hunt for the correct thing that failed, and sometimes that is not so easy.
Can't you just right-click on the program on the bottom taskbar or title and press Kill?
The zombie thing sounds nice, but don't know if it could kill zombie firefox because apparently it isn't listed as a zombie.

belham2

#20 Post by belham2 »

Semme wrote:You've asked the wrong person Mate. What you're after is what I mentioned..
Ok, I am currently in Slacko 700 (32-bit), says in PPM that xkill_1.0.4 is ALREADY INSTALLED.

Where is the icon for it in the menu? Am I looking right at it?? I've went thru the full menu three times now. If there's no icon, and you have to invoke the xkill thru the terminal and/or a keyboard combo of key or right-clicking on it in the taskbar, then, no, it is nothing like what I mentioned. My family is not going to remember some arcane keyboard invoking and they never (they refuse) to touch the terminal, same with getting them to remember right-clicking on it when it is in the taskbar. We are talking decades Windows people here, so things are fragile with their ability to grasp Linux (and pups aren't exactly user friendly, lol). Push too hard, and they will all scream to return to Windows.
We must understand & respect the enemy, here :?

So where's the icon for xkill? No icon, then it is a loser here. The other linux distros have this in an icon. The fam can remember an icon. They like pictures. Icons are pictures. Hopefully I am just overlooked looking at the icon. Starting 4th time to go thru menu.....going to check peebee's, fatdog and tahr64 too...
Last edited by belham2 on Thu 13 Oct 2016, 18:13, edited 3 times in total.