How change from multisession saving to saving on HD?

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
Al

How change from multisession saving to saving on HD?

#1 Post by Al »

Running 2.11. Till now I've been saving each session to the CD. But I've come to believe that saving to the HD would be better for me. So, how do I save my next session to the HD? I've tried putting a pup_save.3fs file on HDA1, but when Pup boots up it doesn't pay any attention to the pup_save.3fs file and goes right into loading all the folders. I've noticed that a fresh burn of the 2.11 iso does enable me to choose between saving multi-session and saving to the HD, and that's how I was able to make a pup_save.3fs file. But, as I say, my regular multisession CD ignores that file on bootup.

darkerror05

#2 Post by darkerror05 »

Look here for boot options that may help: http://puppylinux.org/wikka/BootParms
-darkerror

Al

#3 Post by Al »

Tried these boot parameters, but the Pup just goes merrily on, loading all the multisession folders. Good shot, though.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

I can't imagine why you think a hard drive is superior. :lol: What happens if you boot the multisession disk, take it out of the computer and shut down?
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

Al

#5 Post by Al »

At the risk of revealing my ignorance, let me say for example that if I want to upgrade to 2.12 from 2.11, it seems the only way I can do it is to wait until the CD fills up, and then migrate. Upgrading seems much easier if I have a pupsave file on the HD. Also, if I use Puppy on a PC with no burner, I can't do multisession. Also, backing up the pupsave file is easy. Fourth, read what Barry has to say in the freememapp help. Okay, these are my reasons. If I'm missing something, and I probably am, I welcome any help. Re your question about booting and shutting down, I don't understand. My answer would be that nothing important happens, which is one of the reasons I like Puppy. :D

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

I upgrade by burning a multisession DVD of the new iso, using burniso2cd while running from the old Puppy, then simply click the "save" icon on the desktop, or shut down. Everything is transferred to the new DVD like freaking magick. I assume the same thing would work for multisession CD.

My question about shutting down without the multisession disk was based on a wild guess that maybe Puppy would save to the hard drive if it couldn't find the CD. Probably won't work, but won't hurt anything to try.

Of course if you're running from a CD drive that can't burn, Puppy must save to a hard drive or USB flash memory (you did know Puppy can save to a flash memory?) :)

As for backing up your save file, the multisession disk is the backup. Just remove it from the drive when you shut down and put it in a safe place; backed up and secured in one fell swoop.

Dougal

#7 Post by Dougal »

You can try changing the PUPMODE parameter in /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE to 5 before shutting down -- that'll probably give you the dialog with an option to save to a file.
However, I think it might only save your latest session to that pup_save file -- so only newly modified files will exist there.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

Al

#8 Post by Al »

Not seeing an answer to my how-to question, so for now I'll assume it can't be done. Thanks to everyone who joined in, especially Flash for his explanation of how to upgrade. (That's another thing I had been wrestling with.) I haven't tried it yet, but I assume it will work with a CD......Later.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#9 Post by Béèm »

I was looking for an answer to that question too.
Bad luck there in no answer, or can't be done probably.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#10 Post by Béèm »

Flash wrote:I upgrade by burning a multisession DVD of the new iso, using burniso2cd while running from the old Puppy, then simply click the "save" icon on the desktop, or shut down. Everything is transferred to the new DVD like freaking magick. I assume the same thing would work for multisession CD.

My question about shutting down without the multisession disk was based on a wild guess that maybe Puppy would save to the hard drive if it couldn't find the CD. Probably won't work, but won't hurt anything to try.

Of course if you're running from a CD drive that can't burn, Puppy must save to a hard drive or USB flash memory (you did know Puppy can save to a flash memory?) :)

As for backing up your save file, the multisession disk is the backup. Just remove it from the drive when you shut down and put it in a safe place; backed up and secured in one fell swoop.
What do you do if you want to use some xxxx.sfs file?
As far as I understand, this will work only if to have a pup_save on HDD, or is there another method?

Béèm

#11 Post by Béèm »

Béèm wrote:
Flash wrote:I upgrade by burning a multisession DVD of the new iso, using burniso2cd while running from the old Puppy, then simply click the "save" icon on the desktop, or shut down. Everything is transferred to the new DVD like freaking magick. I assume the same thing would work for multisession CD.

What do you do if you want to use some xxxx.sfs file?
As far as I understand, this will work only if to have a pup_save on HDD, or is there another method?
Forget my question.
I saw a thread about it started by Marksouth2000, some time ago.
Solution were offered to do re-mastering, which for the moment is still some unknown territory for me.
Will have to look at it one day maybe.
I use to work with pup_save files, but I have to figure out why the sata drives of my new machine aren't recognized in muppy and puppy