check out
https://www.infoq.com/news/2016/06/visual-cpp-telemetry

learnhow2code

Re: Glad I left windows behind

#2 Post by learnhow2code »

Scooby wrote:Apparently the compiler in VisualStudio automatically adds
phoning home code to your application.

Trust for Windows at an all time low?
nothing compared to ios, or android+apps. telemetry on every mouse move? they have telemetry on "every step you take."

but thats the problem-- in the 90s, we were disgusted by spyware (thats about the time when the term entered popular use) like gator and bonzaibuddy, and now there are entire platforms that do such things.

youre not wrong-- its just not only windows. theyre catching up to things like the app store (you can install what we say you can) and your phone.

computers shouldnt work that way. even mozilla (remember when they stood for anything?) opens a connection on every new tab: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ho ... onnections

* ubuntu: amazon dash lens.
* systemd: defaults to 8.8.8.8 (google dns) if nothing is specified.
* chrome: no idea, proprietary google stuff (im sure its fine!)
* chromium: downloads a proprietary blob that can turn on your mic!
* kindle: controls your e-library with an iron fist.

its out of control. even hardware is starting to do it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Management_Mode

your only options are to have (take) more care for what you use. the price of liberty is eternal vigilance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Right_to_Read <- no longer hypothetical, thanks to amazon

and leaving windows behind is still a vital start, you are to be commended. i wont support versions of windows past 8.x-- i only support those with reluctance.

this is how computers should work: the user decides.

this is how computers do work these days: the vendors *always* own what you "purchase."

the time to turn back around is now. but it will take a while, since even your cpu is ultimately going to force you to look for other options in the long run. http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/20/inte ... same-chip/

Burn_IT

#3 Post by Burn_IT »

It is getting a bit paranoid when you start complaining about Web browsers opening connections to the web.
Or your OS opening a connection to enable updates for instance.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

learnhow2code

#4 Post by learnhow2code »

It is getting a bit paranoid when you start complaining about Web browsers opening connections to the web.
depends on how significant you think it is.

your browser opens TONS of connections it shouldnt, which waste resources/bandwidth/actual time that could be spent getting things done, and gives personal info to data aggregation sites in just the way spyware did in the 90s.

i mean if we say "well its a web browser, OF COURSE it opens connections,"

by that facetious argument its totally fine that "the phone company keeps a copy of every video chat you hold, but its stupid to worry about your video phone transmitting video-- thats what its for!"

if we are honest, then part of the problem is that its not all secure or encrypted.

Or your OS opening a connection to enable updates for instance.
wrong. for years, every time you turn this off in windows they add ways to do it anyway. there are multiple settings (still more for unwanted upgrades to other versions of windows) in different places.

even in puppy, there was discussion about how updates can break things. why shouldnt the user have any control? because theyre too stupid to use it? even that can be worked around without taking every option away.

spyware: wasteful of resources, damaging to privacy. no need to turn that issue on someone having some kind of "problem."

wheres the line, anyway? at what exact "point" does spyware become a "real issue" to you? or is it simply all fine?

security is about reasonable controls over possibilities for insecurity being prevented. with a browser, there are lots of things to consider.

"its a door, so only an idiot/crazy person is worried about people going through it" simply isnt intellectually honest.

its a door, sometimes you might care if you can close it or not. okay with you?

Burn_IT

#5 Post by Burn_IT »

Put your tin foil hat on!!

scientist

#6 Post by scientist »

Burn_IT wrote:Put your tin foil hat on!!
And your faraday cage.
Thanks,
Andy

Slacko 6.3.0 FULL INSTALL
JWM
File Manager - Thunar

learnhow2code

#7 Post by learnhow2code »

Put your tin foil hat on!!
more ad hom, and how is this not just trolling?

you take one of the smaller points i made and feel the need to make the biggest deal out of that, because its an easy cheap shot-- do you save honesty and integrity for debates with people you know?

better a tin-foil hat than an ass-hat anytime- no worries! H.A.N.D.

Burn_IT

#8 Post by Burn_IT »

It most definitely not trolling when pointing out that you cannot make an omelette without breaking eggs.
You are the ones attacking an OS because it is doing what it was designed to do. If Windows had not been developed Linux would still be a CLI.

learnhow2code

#9 Post by learnhow2code »

attacking an OS because it is doing what it was designed to do.
thats sort of a flowery way to say "critiquing the design of an os," but sure.

i talked about the design of a few things, and the real and potential problems that result, but sure- i "attacked an os" for its poor design as well.

security and design discussions always become pointless when those who think there should be improvements meet those who are totally fine with (garbage) the way it is... even when "the way it is" starts to change and slide downward but HEY look! features!

im sure the more everything becomes like windows and apple in its design, the cooler it will be. but its going back to the problem, its not an improvement-- per the op. </cares>

Burn_IT

#10 Post by Burn_IT »

Are you implying that I accept any old crap; well you are wrong by a long way.
Some of the reasons I do not use Puppy full time are:
There are a lot of things I need to do that Puppy - just does not cater for.

Puppy is not secure. sure it pretends to be through obscurity, but that is not good enough in many cases.

I am realistic enough and experienced enough to know that it is impossible to write code that has no errors or holes in it. I would prefer to use an OS that admits those holes and either tries to fix them on a regular basis, or gets a trusted third party to write code that tries to find abusive code and data and isolate it.

Oh by the way, I just happen to have spent 40 years in the IT industry, most of it writing software that is used in a very wide variety of fields.

learnhow2code

#11 Post by learnhow2code »

I would prefer to use an OS that admits those holes and either tries to fix them on a regular basis, or gets a trusted third party to write code that tries to find abusive code and data and isolate it.
funny thing, that is really all im arguing for. this is so much better than dealing with platitudes about eggs--

because by all means, break the ones that go into the omelet, but throwing them at the wall and into the next room is completely unnecessary. (this is about where we seem to be with apps phoning home, imo.)
Oh by the way, I just happen to have spent 40 years in the IT industry, most of it writing software that is used in a very wide variety of fields.
that may explain your tone, but it makes it all that more of a relief that sooner or later you talk about the importance of security and fixing flaws. after all, microsoft has spent 41 years in the industry, and look at what theyve done to the rest of us.

experience does different things for different people-- but at least now its similar to a conversation.

i dont rely on puppy for things where security matters. i would never recommend a root-only distro for banking for example, even though people get by with android and really, in the states we dont adopt a consumer technology until its already been broken 100 ways and left for scavengers in what you call a "skip." *shrug*

Burn_IT

#12 Post by Burn_IT »

Well I bow down to your ever so superior knowledge and trust it does you well!

Microsoft have spent 40 years improving

You are more than likely using some of the code I have written when banking since that is where an awful lot of it was along with other security, defence and computer industry projects.

learnhow2code

#13 Post by learnhow2code »

Well I bow down to your ever so superior knowledge and trust it does you well!
just one more loaded ad hom-- switching from calling someone paranoid to calling them an egotist. dont you ever stop?
Microsoft have spent 40 years improving
you should definitely write their adverts. 40 years is way too much credit**, but im inclined to agree with the op on windows.
You are more than likely using some of the code I have written when banking since that is where an awful lot of it was along with other security, defence and computer industry projects.
cool. now if i wanted to be snarky here, i would refer back to the line about the only consumer-grade technologies we adopt (we just got chip & pin this year!) but honestly, i figure (i at least hope) some of our banking-level technology is actually good.

should i ask what os you do recommend? i wont do so unless i really mean it. but as long as its not windows, i will at least take note.

** to be fair, you didnt say "constantly," but half of good advertising is leaving those details out.

LazY Puppy

#14 Post by LazY Puppy »

Regarding the "discussion" especially on this page, I just want to say:

I think we're all a little kinda off track, as of this terrible act, which affects all of us - whether we like it or not.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

learnhow2code

#15 Post by learnhow2code »

LazY Puppy wrote: as of this terrible act, which affects all of us - whether we like it or not.
i appreciate what youre saying. that thread is just as likely to result in argument as this one (see thread.)

the (global) political landscape is a complete mess imo-- even if we could all agree, it wouldnt necessarily matter that we did. a lot of people think that tragedy was avoidable-- perhaps yes, perhaps no, the important thing is we are completely (exclusively so) divided on how. :)

(your advice on both of these matters is welcome, nonetheless. im perfectly happy to hear more of it-- either here or via pm if you think its more constructive.)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#16 Post by Flash »

Damn, I need some Dramamine after reading this far. I can't wait to see what's next. :lol:

abhishek-kumar

#17 Post by abhishek-kumar »

I still use windows for software deployments. But I have moved all my software developments in puppy linux Tahrpup, is great !! :D