Barebone XVesa (86MB) with PXE (boot)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Puppus Dogfellow

Re: generalization issues and question...

#81 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

fitch wrote:howdee rufwoof,

just got back to this again... burned-iso, loaded-up first-boot and started to look-around... made some notes about the process and rereading the thread... had some questions (similar to puppus-dogfellow) about whether this is ready-for-primetime...
i think the way to go about things would be to try out linux portable apps and maybe wine stuff first--more or less will leave your core setup tiny, and you may get away with not really having to hunt down many libs or deps at all.

i'm not sure if the version i mirrored is the tahr kernel or the slacko kernel, but i think that would determine your devx and kernel sources choices--compiling things yourself would i guess produce the trimmest base system, but if you (not me as i have little clue about such things) get a pet or sfs that initially fails but works with some found dependencies, you could repackage that all together as a stand alone in either format (check the utilities section for don570's right click utility and other tools for this sort of thing--if you can do this sort of stuff through the terminal or can manually put together an sfs or pet, you're already ahead of me in this regard and i'll host whatever packages you make). when i crack open the pets and sfs files they usually look like copies of some system folders--i guess the sfses work by floating around in some virtual space until needed, then those become part of the system, but in a way that doesn't break or interfere with anything else. it seems almost as self contained as the wine stuff (mixxx 1.11 in wine is one click; debian packages--i gave up. if the one for precise didn't work at first, grab the deps you used, put it all in a folder, right click it into a barebone pet or sfs...) and the portable apps stuff (here's a link to some: http://portablelinuxapps.org/ ). i'd also be on the hunt for things that just ran out of their own folders like firefox does.

hth

fitch

#82 Post by fitch »

Puppus Dogfellow wrote:i think the way to go about things would be to try out linux portable apps and maybe wine stuff first--more or less will leave your core setup tiny, and you may get away with not really having to hunt down many libs or deps at all.

i'm not sure if the version i mirrored [snip]
thanx for commenting... afaict, this puplet is kinda lonely while the OP has gone over to other things for awhile... it [this puplet] worked for his own needs but isnt really generalizable (for me) atm...

i never quite understood what/where you had mirrored the earlier version puplet, but ill just work with the OPs linked-version for now... again, i appreciate your comments - since ive used portable-apps for windows, but had not heard of portable-apps for linux... tyvm...

ive tried two other puplets since yesterday - but im using some ancient hardware and have some issues just getting them going correctly-enough... for example with slacko-63, i keep having the problem where itll boot-up fine with a ps2-mouse from cd - but then when i boot-up from a save-file the mouse is dead... this (sporadic-mouse, etc) stuff is awfully hard to sort out on ancient hw... (eg: knoppix 7.2 works ok, but 7.4 has problems with ram, etc...) the other puplets i tried were the precise-571-retro and the OPs adjustments to precise-5.7.2a-current...

in theory, i prolly want something from way-back like the wary-53 series for my old hw... "new", for me, is anything later than core-2-duo... i think ive finally tossed my old 486-boxen... lol...

anyways - i DO plan to try and learn a bit more... i, like you, am a bit overwhelmed with the idea of creating sfs or pet files... i also am trying to understand many of the other-subtleties like save-folders vs save-files vs remastering... and how, if at all, the woof-ce system integrates with these ideas... maybe it is all in the wiki somewhere...

my original goal still stands, which was to setup a PXE server that i could then use to boot-up all these ancient boxen to see how they worked... none of these old boxen have hard-drives or oses to worry about, so puppy on cd is the best answer - and occasionally a usb-save-file... they will NOT boot from a usb-key, but they usually WILL boot from the PXE-network (i think)... i guess, for that matter, theres no real reason i cant try the original-puplet (for UK) and see if by remastering - somehow i can fix up everything for my uses and generate a newer/ish cd...

again - thanx for the comments, ill keep futzing around... :)

EDIT: while looking at new-msgs on forum, i saw http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 1&start=15 from WB7ODYFred which mentioned the usb-bootloading abilities that i had tried yesterday... further surfing sent me off to https://www.plop.at/en/ploplinux/server/full.html which seems to be closer to what i might need for PXE-stuff... idk - theres been a lot of changes (also pa-linux-apps) since i last used puppy... sorry-to-babble... :D

Puppus Dogfellow

#83 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

fitch wrote:
Puppus Dogfellow wrote:i think the way to go about things would be to try out linux portable apps and maybe wine stuff first--more or less will leave your core setup tiny, and you may get away with not really having to hunt down many libs or deps at all.

i'm not sure if the version i mirrored [snip]
thanx for commenting... afaict, this puplet is kinda lonely while the OP has gone over to other things for awhile... it [this puplet] worked for his own needs but isnt really generalizable (for me) atm...

i never quite understood what/where you had mirrored the earlier version puplet,
but ill just work with the OPs linked-version for now... again, i appreciate your comments - since ive used portable-apps for windows, but had not heard of portable-apps for linux... tyvm...

ive tried two other puplets since yesterday - but im using some ancient hardware and have some issues just getting them going correctly-enough... for example with slacko-63, i keep having the problem where itll boot-up fine with a ps2-mouse from cd - but then when i boot-up from a save-file the mouse is dead... this (sporadic-mouse, etc) stuff is awfully hard to sort out on ancient hw... (eg: knoppix 7.2 works ok, but 7.4 has problems with ram, etc...) the other puplets i tried were the precise-571-retro and the OPs adjustments to precise-5.7.2a-current...

in theory, i prolly want something from way-back like the wary-53 series for my old hw... "new", for me, is anything later than core-2-duo... i think ive finally tossed my old 486-boxen... lol...

anyways - i DO plan to try and learn a bit more... i, like you, am a bit overwhelmed with the idea of creating sfs or pet files... i also am trying to understand many of the other-subtleties like save-folders vs save-files vs remastering... and how, if at all, the woof-ce system integrates with these ideas... maybe it is all in the wiki somewhere...

my original goal still stands, which was to setup a PXE server that i could then use to boot-up all these ancient boxen to see how they worked... none of these old boxen have hard-drives or oses to worry about, so puppy on cd is the best answer - and occasionally a usb-save-file... they will NOT boot from a usb-key, but they usually WILL boot from the PXE-network (i think)... i guess, for that matter, theres no real reason i cant try the original-puplet (for UK) and see if by remastering - somehow i can fix up everything for my uses and generate a newer/ish cd...

again - thanx for the comments, ill keep futzing around... :)

EDIT: while looking at new-msgs on forum, i saw http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 1&start=15 from WB7ODYFred which mentioned the usb-bootloading abilities that i had tried yesterday... further surfing sent me off to https://www.plop.at/en/ploplinux/server/full.html which seems to be closer to what i might need for PXE-stuff... idk - theres been a lot of changes (also pa-linux-apps) since i last used puppy... sorry-to-babble... :D
i had an older version linked but as its name not its address--it should show up hyperlink-blue:
Puppus Dogfellow wrote:
rufwoof wrote:Think its about there now. Thanks Puppus.
you're welcome.

wary_5.3_XVesa.iso
anyway, i replaced the older version with (i think) the one with the slacko kernel. here's the whole repo: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

folder of isos and pups and quirkies: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... TFuMEtZSWs

thread/thread: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 760#730760

fitch

#84 Post by fitch »

aaahhh, uhhhmmm, ok... :) :o :) if im understanding correctly (i skimmed) - youve setup an online mirror of puplets that maps to 30gigs or more... when i read one (skimmed first 30-ish pages) of the docs (Ruffly: a users guide...) ....... i think you (also) have had issues with mouse-vs-keyboard stuff (pages in the pg-24 area refer to kybd shortcuts, i think...) ....... your repos are a great resource - thank you...

im still skimming all this stuff - and not actually really DOing anything with it yet... in particular, ive always had issues with setting up a PXE server on my home-network because of how my network is laid out... i dont know if this thread is the place-for-it or what - but i found the following website/link to be really helpful : tiny-pxe-server guide .......

that website describes a portable-app (for ms-windows) which does everything i need/want (i think)... in particular, it discusses a thing called a PROXY-dhcp which can sit alongside the "normal" network most of us have at home with an ISP-provided router... somehow ive always assumed i needed a dedicated boxen with its own full-dhcp-server, etc - which handled its own network for the PXE booting-stuff... what is relevant to this thread/puplet is that i was hoping to test it (this pup) to see if it would just-work[tm] like puppy-linux usually does - for my home network...

[Q] does this puplet do proxy-dhcp - like i think it needs to ?

like i say, im still reading/skimming - at some point i guess i will try again... when i do, ill update this thread - or maybe start my own (?) with any successes if i get them to work in a puppy-linux (rather than with a windows-based portable-app)...

ttyl and tyvm, i really appreciate all the help/comments... h.[/url]

Puppus Dogfellow

#85 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

fitch wrote:
aaahhh, uhhhmmm, ok... :) :o :) if im understanding correctly (i skimmed) - youve setup an online mirror of puplets that maps to 30gigs or more... when i read one (skimmed first 30-ish pages) of the docs (Ruffly: a users guide...) ....... i think you (also) have had issues with mouse-vs-keyboard stuff (pages in the pg-24 area refer to kybd shortcuts, i think...) ....... your repos are a great resource - thank you...

im still skimming all this stuff - and not actually really DOing anything with it yet... in particular, ive always had issues with setting up a PXE server on my home-network because of how my network is laid out... i dont know if this thread is the place-for-it or what - but i found the following website/link to be really helpful : tiny-pxe-server guide .......

that website describes a portable-app (for ms-windows) which does everything i need/want (i think)... in particular, it discusses a thing called a PROXY-dhcp which can sit alongside the "normal" network most of us have at home with an ISP-provided router... somehow ive always assumed i needed a dedicated boxen with its own full-dhcp-server, etc - which handled its own network for the PXE booting-stuff... what is relevant to this thread/puplet is that i was hoping to test it (this pup) to see if it would just-work[tm] like puppy-linux usually does - for my home network...

[Q] does this puplet do proxy-dhcp - like i think it needs to ?

like i say, im still reading/skimming - at some point i guess i will try again... when i do, ill update this thread - or maybe start my own (?) with any successes if i get them to work in a puppy-linux (rather than with a windows-based portable-app)...

ttyl and tyvm, i really appreciate all the help/comments... h.[/url]
sorry i can't be of more help, fitch--my networking needs are very few and i have little idea what you're talking about. :lol:

i thought i pointed you to linux portables--no wine required. the windows portable stuff is likely more extensive--if you've found what you need, you'll
probably only need to install wine to use it (barebone may be stripped of something necessary (but replaceable) but you won't know until you first install wine anyway).
here's windows portable apps: http://portableapps.com/

while the repo is convenient, it in no way replaces the chunk of this forum from which it draws over 90 percent of its content: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=63

i'd like to avoid crapping in rufwoof's thread any further (my interest is in the iso's tiny size and possibly the switched kernel--yours seems to be more related specifically to networking, which isn't really specific to any particular pup but is, unfortunately, something i can't really help you with), so the best i can do is point you to those in the know. check out the networking section in the other part of this forum--it may be of more use to you overall. if you don't find what you're looking for, open a thread there, users, or beginners and ask for help. someone with a clue will be around eventually. if it seems you found something but it doesn't work for you, report the problem in the thread you found the application or maybe bugs if the original poster is not as around as maybe he or she once was (old pets are useful and hang around, but sometimes the creator moves on).

:D