Woof CE - a big step forward

Promote Puppy !
LazY Puppy

Woof CE - a big step forward

#1 Post by LazY Puppy »

Hi.

Once I had booted my first Woof CE Puppy I was very impressed by some of its refined content. Nice new and refined GUIs and also Functions like in Package Management, just to name a few things.

But now, after booting my second Woof CE Puppy I'm much disappointed!

All that nice stuff is unusable to me since I can NOT conect to the Web via GPRS Mobile USB Modem - I bought mine in end of 2011, so just 3.5 years ago.

And now, thanks to Woof CE, GPRS Mobile USB Modems is Legacy Stuff and not longer supported in Woof CE built Puppy Linux Systems.

Note, I can connect to the web using Mint, Kubuntu, Windows, but NOT when using a Woof CE Puppy Linux.

So, compatibilty to older Hardware and Computers (Legacy) is not longer a main feature and/or a big PLUS of Puppy Linux!?!?!?

Since Woof CE means Woof Community Edition, we do have a saying in Germany, that goes:

Viele Köche verderben den Brei!

Since I don't know the right saying in EN, here is what Google Translate has turned out of this.
Google Translate wrote:Too many cooks spoil the broth!
Regarding to Viele Köche verderben den Brei!, I would like to make a funny suggestion:

- renaming Woof CE to Woof CR

- renaming Woof Communitiy Edition to Woof Community Crap

:wink: :lol:
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

slavvo67

#2 Post by slavvo67 »

Here here! In other words, agreed other than the crap part. Let's be a little more fair. It seems puppy might be getting a bit too far away from its roots. Perhaps there should be 2 or 3 branches of woof-ce, cutting edge and standard.

starhawk

#3 Post by starhawk »

O Ye Of Strong And Negatory Opinions -- have you possibly considered that a simple request to reintroduce GPRS (which BTW is 2g, which BTW is aging out fairly rapidly) support, would've sufficed?

Also: I would categorize your post as a flame and a rant. Dude, chillax. It's only the Internet. This isn't super important real life stuff. There's no need for you to run around with your hair on fire like this. Go for a nature walk, it's good for you ;) at the very least, get some fresh air and hug a tree...

LazY Puppy

#4 Post by LazY Puppy »

Also: I would categorize your post as a flame and a rant.
I really don't care what you will categorize and why! :lol:

GPRS is NOT legacy stuff!

So there is no reason to remove it, except crap!
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

mavrothal

#5 Post by mavrothal »

LazY Puppy wrote:
Also: I would categorize your post as a flame and a rant.
I really don't care what you will categorize and why! :lol:

GPRS is NOT legacy stuff!

So there is no reason to remove it, except crap!
I can understand frustration but should not cloud your judgment.

What goes in or moves out of a puppy, is a decision of its builder. Not woof.
Woof is only providing some infrastructure.
If you would actually look at woof git and search its commit history you would have seen that there is no change regarding GPRS, between the "first, good" puppy and the "second, crapy" puppy!

If a puppy builder decides that GPRS is used by very-very few (if any) persons as the only internet infrastructure, and it's too big (or complex) for its appeal, is his/her prerogative to leave it out.
If you do not like it take it up with him/her.
Better yet, build your own woof puppy and include all the modems you want. I'm sure you can do it if you put your mind to it :wink:
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

LazY Puppy

#6 Post by LazY Puppy »

"first, good" puppy and the "second, crapy"
There wasn't a first good puppy.

The first Woof CE Puppy I was impressed of was Slacko 6 and it already couldn't connect to the web. I posted in the topic and someone mentioned: "lost in action" which I did understand as: forgotten to include.

The second Puppy -and now I was disappointed- was Tahr 6 and it also couldn't connect to the web. I posted in the topic also.
If a puppy builder decides that GPRS is used by very-very few (if any) persons as the only internet infrastructure, and it's too big (or complex) for its appeal, is his/her prerogative to leave it out.
If you do not like it take it up with him/her.
Nothing has happened in Slacko since I'd done my posting.
In Tahr -at least- I was guided to a GPRS PET Package, which didn't work.

I might have been wrong when assuming people here working to make the life of a Puppy Linux User just a bit more easy.
Better yet, build your own woof puppy and include all the modems you want.
This is not very helpful - especially not for Linux Newbies. Or is this the new Puppy Way, instead of offering useful and working solutions recommending thousands of hours of studying Woof or Woof CE? :lol:
RSH

mavrothal

#7 Post by mavrothal »

I would expect to actually address the major point and act accordingly. But no.
Hopefully, when you stop fuming.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

LazY Puppy

#8 Post by LazY Puppy »

I would expect to actually address the major point and act accordingly. But no.
Hopefully, when you stop fuming.
Sorry, I don't understand, what you are trying to tell me.

The major point is:
GPRS Internet-Connection is NOT included and NOT working in Woof CE Puppies.

This sort of "comfort" is expanded by:
Nothing has happened in Slacko since I'd done my posting.
In Tahr -at least- I was guided to a GPRS PET Package, which didn't work.

Since the Woof CE Puppy Builders doesn't seem to notice the lack of GPRS when building the Woof CE Puppy, it seems to be a Woof CE issue.

Tell me: why there is an option to connect to the web via GPRS Modem (in GUI after clicking the connect icon) when GPRS is NOT included?

Looks like in Woof CE Script XX doesn't know what Script YY is doing/including when the Woof CE Puppy will be build.

You don't need a GPRS option, if GPRS is NOT included!

Woof CR... :wink: :lol:
RSH

SFR

#9 Post by SFR »

RE: PGPRS

I'm doing this 3rd (and the last) time. Please read:
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... issues/498
JakeSFR wrote:Was it intentional removal?
01micko wrote:Hmm.. got lost with deletion in 3builddistro_Z . Oversight. Ideas welcome.
(emphasized by me)

So, to make it clear - it was just an accidental removal and if anyone has an idea (I don't and Mick's been inactive lately) how to fix it nicely, please don't hesitate...

Rainer, for now, until it's fixed, you could just grab /lib/modules/all-firmware/pgprs/* files from an older Puppy and see if it helps.
The attached are from Slacko-5.7.0.

Greetings!
Attachments
pgprs-s57.tar.gz
(5.63 KiB) Downloaded 310 times
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

LazY Puppy

#10 Post by LazY Puppy »

I'm doing this 3rd (and the last) time. Please read:
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... issues/498
I already noticed and read this when you posted this message in Slacko 6 Topic. Just thought it would be a Slacko related issue when I read this. I wasn't aware this will be "built-in" :wink: in all the Woof CE Puppies, since I did not know what 3builddistro script/app is used for. Also since I'm not a Woof or Woof CE Puppy builder, I don't have any ideas how to solve this - except to put it in again.

How should I have any ideas on this issue when even Woof CE Member 01micko seems to not to have any idea?

After stumbling over the equal problem in Tahr 6 I noticed and recognized this issue as a Woof CE problem - what it currently seems to be since the 3builddistro seems to be a script used to build a Puppy Linux from e.g. Ubuntu binaries.

Thanks for the attached package. Will test later and report here.
RSH

LazY Puppy

#11 Post by LazY Puppy »

Will test later and report here.
Ok, connected to the web using Tahr 6.0 CE!

Thanks again for the attached package. :)

Btw: I had a look into the extracted /lib directory. Since there are just a few scripts, I really don't understand why this was asked:
01micko wrote:Hmm.. got lost with deletion in 3builddistro_Z . Oversight. Ideas welcome.
Here is my idea:
Put the scripts in again - it's just a few KB and it even won't make Puppy being a fat Dog after this! :lol:
RSH

ASRI éducation

#12 Post by ASRI éducation »

LazY Puppy wrote:
Will test later and report here.
Ok, connected to the web using Tahr 6.0 CE!
Good new!
Projet ASRI éducation => [url=http://asri-education.org/]Association[/url] | [url=http://forum.asri-education.org/]Forum[/url] | [url=http://dl01.asri-education.org/]Dépôt[/url] | [url=http://kids.asri-education.org/]Espace kids[/url]

SFR

#13 Post by SFR »

LazY Puppy wrote:Ok, connected to the web using Tahr 6.0 CE!
I'm glad it's working at last. :wink:
LazY Puppy wrote:Btw: I had a look into the extracted /lib directory. Since there are just a few scripts, I really don't understand why this was asked:
Here is my idea:
Put the scripts in again - it's just a few KB and it even won't make Puppy being a fat Dog after this! :lol:
Actually, all these files are still present in Woof-CE's tree.
The problem is they're being deleted, during building, by the mentioned script, which moves some stuff back and forth (or something like that - don't know details, I have never used Woof to build Puppy).

Anyway, Mav's working on it right now:
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... t-74378854

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

rcrsn51

#14 Post by rcrsn51 »

I don't think that there is a big mystery here. The folder /lib/modules/all-firmware has always contained some optional packages like pgprs that weren't actually firmware but were put there for wont of a better location.

Originally, they were all zipped to save space, then they got unzipped, then they got lost when all-firmware was updated.

Now that Puppy is long-past the "must be under 100 MB" phase, pgprs could simply be transferred from all-firmware to its eventual location. It's not that big.

Or maybe it's finally time to retire the whole all-firmware concept.

mavrothal

#15 Post by mavrothal »

SFR wrote: The problem is they're being deleted, during building, by the mentioned script, which moves some stuff back and forth (or something like that - don't know details, I have never used Woof to build Puppy).
Actually the problem is not that they are deleted is that they are not added into the new style "huge" kernel building.
It is now fixed but it requires new kernel building.
Puppy builders that do not want to rebuild their kernels can use this work around for 3builddistro-Z

Now if someone proceeds with rcrsn51's suggestion, would be even better.

LazY Puppy

#16 Post by LazY Puppy »

It is now fixed but it requires new kernel building.
Hi,

Last but not least, that's also some kinda annoying.

I posted first about the GPRS problem in Slacko 6 Topic on Sun 23 Nov 2014, 00:04.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 233#810233
Nothing has happened on the issue since this posting was done.

As soon as I'm posting this issue and naming it Woof Community Crap, it is fixed within a day.

Comments to my opening post so far:

- be a little more fair
- flame and a rant
- isn't super important real life stuff
- no need for you to run around with your hair on fire
- go for a nature walk
- get some fresh air and hug a tree
- build your own woof puppy and include all the modems you want
- when you stop fuming

Thanks for bashing me because I'm RSH, R-S-H, LazY Puppy! :D

Fixed AND solved! :lol: :wink:

+1 :P
RSH

bark_bark_bark

#17 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I am not even going to bother arguing (in this thread) with a man child.

starhawk

#18 Post by starhawk »

@RSH -- I'm not bashing you because of who you are -- I don't really even know who you are, per se. I'm simply trying to convey that you came across as extremely upset and confrontational, and that it didn't seem warranted.

It was actually a little offensive how aggressive you were. If I had been the dev in question, I honestly would've rather let you simmer than answer you, for fear that my answer would've been "wrong" and set you off even more.

Civil discussion is very important. When you don't have that, you don't have much of anything useful in terms of communication -- and when you don't have useful communication, there's no point in having a web forum.

mavrothal

#19 Post by mavrothal »

LazY Puppy wrote: Nothing has happened on the issue since this posting was done.
Dear RSH, R-S-H, LazY Puppy,
If I was you I would certainly ask my money back and give them more hell and insults because they sit on their fat salaries and only work on what they find interesting or higher priority, instead of serving the important customers.
Honestly, why any loyal customer should bother to look at the code? or ask at the right department? or ask clearly and precisely describing one issue at the time? or be asked to go through the trouble to provide some error reporting? Is not the customer's job. Is the damn employee's lob. That's what customer service is for. Isn't it?
And why on earth should any customer stop building their distros, application, widget or whatever, and start doing what the stupid workers should be doing? Is just a program. Run it and give me my puppy. Don't ask me to do your job people! Alright?
And on the top of that they dare tell you that you should be nice because "they only work here". And that they corrected some other stupid mistakes they made when pointed to them other times. And that they try to improve the product. And many other poor excuses.
Hell, no! Tell me another issue that was fixed in this damn place without screaming? I know if you do not scream and holler they are not going to move their lazy 'ass'. Is your job people and you have it because of me the customer. So do it and be thankful that you still have a job, because you may be homeless or live with your mom if you go on disrespecting me.

Unfortunately dear RSH, R-S-H, LazY Puppy, not everybody is like me in this place. If they were, puppy would be better than windows, os x and android together by now!
So help me out here dear RSH, R-S-H, LazY Puppy.

(BTW the issue is - hopefully - fixed because a serious and respectable contributor pointed it out with some clues for its solution, and because my valentines where unfortunately away this day so I could spend several hours tracing the problem and testing the solutions)

bark_bark_bark

#20 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Have you ever considered the idea that screaming at people because something isn't going your way, makes you sound like a spoiled toddler?