tahrpup 6.0.5 CE

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
James C

#101 Post by James C »

Installed the Nvidia driver in Tahr 6.0 PAE...... no problems and working optimally.

Code: Select all

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: tahrpup, version 6.0

Chip description:
VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT218 [GeForce 210] (rev a2)

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
  Resolution (widthxheight, in pixels): 1024x768x16
  Depth (bits, or planes):              24
  Modules requested to be loaded:       dbe 

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
  Driver loaded (and currently in use): nvidia
  Loaded modules: dbe dri2 extmod fb glx kbd mouse ramdac wfb

Actual rendering on monitor:
  Resolution:  1440x900 pixels (402x251 millimeters)
  Depth:       24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video

# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh.  The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
302 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.278 FPS
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.883 FPS
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.887 FPS
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.885 FPS

-Computer-
Processor		: 4x AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 620 Processor
Memory		: 4148MB (431MB used)
Machine Type		: Physical machine
Operating System		: tahrpup - 6.0
User Name		: root (root)
Date/Time		: Wed 05 Nov 2014 02:01:27 AM CST
-Display-
Resolution		: 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer		: GeForce 210/PCIe/SSE2/3DNOW!
X11 Vendor		: The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter		: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
Audio Adapter		: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
Audio Adapter		: PC-Speaker - pcsp
Attachments
Tahr 6.0 PAE.jpg
(50.8 KiB) Downloaded 1716 times
Nvidia 340.46.jpg
(49.17 KiB) Downloaded 1708 times

heywoodj

#102 Post by heywoodj »

I just installed the noPAE version on my aging hp/Compaq nx6325 laptop and it runs great. Looks good, wireless connected painlessly, things work well and fast.

A bonus is that it definitely runs cooler on my laptop compared to Precise 5.7.1. A LOT cooler, without the constant cycling of the fan.

A minor glitch I saw before in Saluki: flSynclient crashed my X-Windows when trying to "Calibrate" the screen dimensions on the "General" tab.

A bigger problem: When running the installer, there is no "Wipe/Upgrade" page, and the installer will automatically wipe the partition chosen. Having used/installed Puppies for 6 years this is the first time I accidentally and unwillingly wiped a partition. Fortunately not much was lost.

This may only be a problem for people used to the ways of Puppy and not expecting this default behavior.

So, be careful out there!

vicmz

#103 Post by vicmz »

Running nice on my old IBM Pentium IV, 2.4Ghz and 1GB RAM.

The only issue I found so far was when "allow only one instance" is activated in VLC, if a video is playing and I click another video VLC crashes and exits. But it's great to have VLC as default. (By the way, file /root/0 is created when VLC plays a media file, what does it mean?)

I advise not to use any of my Openbox pets in Tahrpup, they either won't work or not as expected. I installed Openbox and Lxpanel from the PPM and they're running fine, but Obconf requires GTK3 to be installed, so I installed Lxappearance along with Obconf. It seems Lxpanel requires GTK3, too, for applying some GTK themes properly. For example, I used this theme and the desktop pager went invisible.
Attachments
imagen-1.jpg
My Tahrpup desktop
(49.08 KiB) Downloaded 1605 times
capture27540.jpg
when "allow only one instance" is activated in VLC, if a video is
playing and I click another video VLC crashes and exits
(53.11 KiB) Downloaded 1584 times
capture31847.jpg
File /root/0 is created when VLC plays a media file
(36.42 KiB) Downloaded 1559 times
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

ddpicard

#104 Post by ddpicard »

Wanted to say I am loving tahrpup 6. Especially loving the save to folder. I have everything setup and running except virutalbox. I need the kernel source package and to be honest I am not sure where to get it from for tahrpup. Could someone point me to the right place?

Thanks,
Dave

666philb

#105 Post by 666philb »

Quickpet....useful tab kernel sources

This downloads and trys to install the kernel sources, although a few people have noticed an error where it doesn't install automatically. If this is the case you can still install it by right clicking on the downloaded sfs and choosing sfs-load
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

gcmartin

TahrPUP's VLC as a media server to LAN devices

#106 Post by gcmartin »

VLC Questions
  • Are there any instructions on the forum for setting VLC up as a media server?
  • Can this be done with TahrPUP?
Looking to do so. I have only playback experiences, thus far.

666philb

#107 Post by 666philb »

hi vicmz,

i just checked with vlc and see what you mean. vlc in tahrpup is launched with a wrapper created by shinobar that disables the screensaver and it seems like this is causing the crash, and the crash is causing the the file in root.

fix it by changing default media player to vlc (default is vlc1 which is the wrapper)
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

ddpicard

#108 Post by ddpicard »

666philb, thank you for the reply. I should have thought about quickpet. That is why I don't like to ask questions. It's always a simple answer that makes me feel stupid. I have a habit of making things more complicated than they are.

Installed them and have virtualbox running.

Thanks again,
Dave

bigpup

#109 Post by bigpup »

666philb,

Just wondering how many bug fixes and updates provided by Quickpet, before you just release a new updated Tahrpup iso?

Maybe put a warning message in the first post of this topic advising to run Quickpet->Info->Tahrpup bug fixes
To have it fully updated. :idea:

Run Quickpet->Info->Update Quickpet also :idea:

Question about proper operation procedures.
In Quickpet->Info
Do you need to run "Update Quickpet" before running "Tahrpup bug fixes"?
Are they completely independent operations?

By the way, Love Quickpet and these two features!!!
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

xanad

#110 Post by xanad »

@666 philb,
congrats :D
Avaiable the italian langpack updated
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94195
-----
A little question, do you know how internazionalize quickpet? Normally gettext not works... if I edit the file, after save, when I click 'small version' quickpet disappears.
Last edited by xanad on Sat 08 Nov 2014, 10:57, edited 4 times in total.
[url]http://www.xanad.tk[/url] Html5 Parallax

vicmz

#111 Post by vicmz »

666philb wrote:hi vicmz,

i just checked with vlc and see what you mean. vlc in tahrpup is launched with a wrapper created by shinobar that disables the screensaver and it seems like this is causing the crash, and the crash is causing the the file in root.

fix it by changing default media player to vlc (default is vlc1 which is the wrapper)
It works, thanks. :D

Palemoon works just like Firefox! I could install my favourite extensions and had no issues.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

Advnaser

Palemoon is Resource-hundry

#112 Post by Advnaser »

Hi all

I like everything about tahrpup 6 except the browser palemoon. IMHO, seamonkey is the best browser for puppy. Scrolling is pathetic in palemoon.

bigpup

#113 Post by bigpup »

Scrolling is pathetic in palemoon.
I noticed that also on the first bootup.
Using the Nvidia driver, for my graphics hardware, seemed to make a big difference.

I am thinking graphics acceleration is the factor affecting this.

After changing to the Nvidia driver graphics acceleration went from around 300 fps to 1300 fps.
YaPI(any iso installer)

mmxii

#114 Post by mmxii »

This distro rocks! Quick question though, sometimes when I reboot (running Puppy 6.0 from a 4GB flash drive) my sound cards swap (I have 3). When I first ran setup I found my card to be hw2 but when I rebooted it changed to hw1 in the multi card setup and gave me no sound. It was easy to fix but I'm wondering why it swaps my cards around. Anyone know? Also, if anyone is having the over 65000% volume error I have an easy fix if anyone needs to know it :)

mikeslr

Openboxplus 1.6,1 in tahrpup 6.0 (nopae)

#115 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,
vicmz wrote: I advise not to use any of my Openbox pets in Tahrpup, they either won't work or not as expected. I installed Openbox and Lxpanel from the PPM and they're running fine, but Obconf requires GTK3 to be installed, so I installed Lxappearance along with Obconf. It seems Lxpanel requires GTK3, too, for applying some GTK themes properly. For example, I used this theme and the desktop pager went invisible.
I'm running tahrpup 6.0 nopae into which I installed vicmz's Openboxplus 1.6.1 using lxpanel and his gtk_theme_collection-20130511, I installed these from "storage" on my hard drive, having previously downloaded them from vicmz post. I haven't run into any problems. YET. But then I haven't attempted to install GTK3 themes. And I only just noticed that openboxplus 1.6.1 has been dropped from the thread, being replaced by openboxplus 1.6.2. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 730#703730. Posts near the end of the thread indicate that the "upgrade" included fixes to accommodate the needs of Wheezy 1.2.
New is not always better. Some new applications require gtk3. But Puppy will happily operate with both gtk3 and gtk2 installed.
Openboxplus is my favorite GUI for OS control. Might I suggest (a) re-instating 1.61 for other than Wheezy Pups, and (b) including advice on the first post of that thread that when used with tahrpup gtk3 themes should be avoided.
A link to this post was placed on the Openboxplus thread.

mikesLr

Sylvander

#116 Post by Sylvander »

1. Using tahr-6.0-CE_PAE.iso
Intending to make a multi-session DVD-RW, burned the iso image to the DVD-RW disk.
Booted just fine on 2012 desktop PC, looking good, really FAST!
Seems to have all I could desire.

2. Configured it to my liking; took quite a lot of time and effort, but well worth it.

3. At reboot, expected to be given choice to make multi-session disk, but NO!
Only offered option of making pupsave.
I chose no hoping the next step would offer multi-session.
Again NO!
It shut down and I lost all my configurations/installs. :(

4. Is there a way to make a multi-session DVD-RW with Tahrpup?

bigpup

#117 Post by bigpup »

I usually make the disc multi-session as part of doing the iso image burn to the disc.
One of the choices when you run the burning program.
Attachments
capture27967.png
(33.8 KiB) Downloaded 1660 times
YaPI(any iso installer)

gyro

#118 Post by gyro »

666philb wrote:
peebee wrote:Unable to type the required savefolder number when the list is displayed
i've noticed this on my desktop .... and solved it by swapping usb ports for the keyboard .... it's odd that it's only with save to folder!
Just did a test of this, and on my computer the problem occurs with 2 savefiles as well as 2 savefolders.
I use a usb keyboard with my laptop, and the usb keyboard is ignored, but the actual laptop keyboard still works.
Just realised that this is a safe environment for testing the problem, hopefully have more to report later.

gyro

Sylvander

#119 Post by Sylvander »

bigpup wrote:I usually make the disc multi-session as part of doing the iso image burn to the disc.
One of the choices when you run the burning program.
Yes, [I'm pretty certain] I did that, BUT...
All that does [surely] is to leave the DVD-RW open/unclosed so that it is POSSIBLE to make multi-sessions.
Having done that it would be possible to either make [or NOT make] multi-sessions.
I wanted to make them by saving the changes to folders on the optical disk [rather than a pupsave file or a save folder on an internal HDD or USB Flash Drive], but it seemed no such option was available/offered.

mavrothal

#120 Post by mavrothal »

Sylvander wrote: I wanted to make them by saving the changes to folders on the optical disk [rather than a pupsave file or a save folder on an internal HDD or USB Flash Drive], but it seemed no such option was available/offered.
If you mean that you want Savefolder in a multisession DVD, it is not possible.
A Savefolder requires a linux file system and the DVD file system is not one of them.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==