PPM changes...

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
ardvark

PPM changes...

#1 Post by ardvark »

Hi all...

Could I request that the Puppy Package Manager receive a few significant upgrades...

1. The ability to choose multiple packages at one time, like in Synaptic. Being required to install one package at a time is not efficient and takes a lot of extra time.

2. Better search and dependency check abilities. Package names tend to have to be precise if PPM is able to find them. For example, if I put in the search bar, "gnomeppp," the program is unable to find it. It works when I put in "gnome-ppp." :wink:

3. Eliminate the one click rule for uninstalling packages to avoid mistakes. It's real easy to click on an entry by accident. Perhaps a warning window or box can be created (after clicking on an entry once) that asks, "Are you sure you wish to uninstall this package? Yes/No."

If there is something I'm missing and one or more of these requests already exist in PPM, please let me know. :wink:

Although I'm using Precise 5.6.1, I would imagine PPM is the same for most, if not all versions of Puppy.

Thanks! :)
Our Lord and Savior [url=http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/]Jesus Christ[/url] loves and cares about you most of all!

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up [url=http://www.spiritlessons.com/Documents/BillWiese_23MinutesInHell_Text.htm]here![/url]

Moat

#2 Post by Moat »

I would add - the ability to update the multiple package databases via a single click - like Carolina's PPM does. Having to hit "enter" for each individual update of a dozen or so repo's seems rather silly...?

And the way Carolina handles/parses it's database info must be very different than regular Pups, as the amount of data it transfers during the update process is just a tiny fraction of what a regular Pup downloads - very noticable on dialup! Like maybe 3-400kb vs. about 7-8Mb for a Precise update (takes a half hour!).

Also would be nice - since PPM has to be re-started after a package list update - if it did so automatically.

Bob