Is Flash best for viewing multimedia with 1.2 GHz cpu?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Johnny1993

Is Flash best for viewing multimedia with 1.2 GHz cpu?

#1 Post by Johnny1993 »

Hi everyone!!

I've just got started on my internet connection on Lupu.
Now I need a software for viewing multimedia.
Can you give me please a piece of advice about which software works better?

If it is adobe flash player could you tell me which version is better for my computer(it doesn t support the latest)?

Here there are my computer specs:
RAM 500 mb
processor speed 1.2 GHz
no graphic card

Thank you!!

nic007

Re: adobe flash player or other sftware?

#2 Post by nic007 »

Johnny1993 wrote:Hi everyone!!

I've just got started on my internet connection on Lupu.
Now I need a software for viewing multimedia.
Can you give me please a piece of advice about which software works better?

If it is adobe flash player could you tell me which version is better for my computer(it doesn t support the latest)?

Here there are my computer specs:
RAM 500 mb
processor speed 1.2 GHz
no graphic card

Thank you!!
Well the default media players in Puppy are either Gxine or Mplayer. These play almost all media as the necessary codecs are also already included. Some people download VLC player and use that. To watch flash content on the internet you will need Adobe Flash player. I've been using Flash Player 10 with Opera browser 11. Works well even on an oldish Puppy. BTW - Flash player is generally installed in Puppy already and you can use it with Seamonkey (the default browser) but I use Opera instead as it integrates seamlessly.

someSven

#3 Post by someSven »

I think your question was if the most current version is running on your machine. I don't know, but I would try. I was using it on old machines and it worked, if they were not to old. Otherwise turn it off. At least you should have your browser run as spot if using an old insecure version.

If files on websites are only available in Flash, then you'll need it, but more and more are using html5 and other codecs. Adobe Flash should be okay for that, as alternative there is only gnash, don't know if this works better on old machines. You should always use the current version of Flash available for linux.

I think I have a script for autoupdating flash but it's in a exotic language which is not runnning without having it installed. So you may better update it manually.

go to https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
download tar.gz unpack, read Install-info and install it, it's not that difficult.

I would then also install a flash block plugin into your browser while trying to surf with the current version, and don't try to watch movies in to high resolution on such an old machine. If you're having issues then you may deactivate Flash in your browser.

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

If you're a big YouTuber >> Stream w/o ads!
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Johnny1993

#5 Post by Johnny1993 »

Ok, I ve downloaded tar.gz.
Now, I ve opened the readme file and red the instructions but I don t understand anything!!!
What does it mean
1) Unpack the plugin tar.gz and copy the files to the appropriate location?
2)Save the plugin tar.gz locally and note the location the file was saved to?, 3)Launch terminal and change directories to the location the file was saved to?
4)Unpack the tar.gz file. Once unpacked you will see the following:
+ libflashplayer.so
+ /usr
5)Identify the location of the browser plugins directory, based on your Linux distribution and Firefox version
6)opy libflashplayer.so to the appropriate browser plugins directory. At the prompt type:
+ cp libflashlayer.so <BrowserPluginsLocation>
7)Copy the Flash Player Local Settings configurations files to the /usr directory. At the prompt type:
+ sudo cp -r usr/* /usr

Thanks for help!

nic007

#6 Post by nic007 »

Why are you installing flash player again? It should already be in your distribution if you use Lupu and the version will probably be new enough to work. As said Flash player 10 still works for me with Opera (I don't even think I changed any settings, Opera just picked up flash player and worked off hand). Your problem does not seem to lie with the flash player but rather how to integrate it with your browser.

someSven

#7 Post by someSven »

Oh, many sorry Johnny1993. I wasn't looking for your answer. Thought you are familar with Gnu/Linux

- Unpack it somewhere, open the data in a window
- Open /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins in another window
- Then copy libflashplayer.so into that folder
- Close the window to where you copied it
- Other window: Don't open the folder /user, need to see the folder itself
- rightclick somewhere, then choose Window, Terminal here
- Then write cp -r usr/* /usr

You may check flash on the Adobe website, should have the newest version for Linux.

@nic007
Sorry if I sound harsh and angry, but the ignorance of Puppy users and community about security is shocking :shock: :shock:! You may use the version you want to use, but I hope you don't think your system is secure just cause it's Linux. The real problem is that Puppy has not automatic update for Flash, and that many people here seem to belive the myth that there are no new Flash versions for Linux. There are still very importantant security updates, und your OS doesn't tell you! (and with other software it's the same)

darry1966

#8 Post by darry1966 »

someSven wrote:Oh, many sorry Johnny1993. I wasn't looking for your answer. Thought you are familar with Gnu/Linux

- Unpack it somewhere, open the data in a window
- Open /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins in another window
- Then copy libflashplayer.so into that folder
- Close the window to where you copied it
- Other window: Don't open the folder /user, need to see the folder itself
- rightclick somewhere, then choose Window, Terminal here
- Then write cp -r usr/* /usr

You may check flash on the Adobe website, should have the newest version for Linux.

@nic007
Sorry if I sound harsh and angry, but the ignorance of Puppy users and community about security is shocking :shock: :shock:! You may use the version you want to use, but I hope you don't think your system is secure just cause it's Linux. The real problem is that Puppy has not automatic update for Flash, and that many people here seem to belive the myth that there are no new Flash versions for Linux. There are still very importantant security updates, und your OS doesn't tell you! (and with other software it's the same)
@someSeven thats is all very pip and dandy but some machines can't handle the latest flash anyway nor the latest greastest browser either.

someSven

#9 Post by someSven »

Yeah, then you need to turn it of or better deinstall it. He may try the newest version, or gnash, or get rid of it. If it's not important to have a secure machine, then he may try a old version. However, somehow I think the bottleneck will not be Flash but the videos he maybe wants to watch.
If he wants to try out the newest version of Flash then we should tell him how. I'm using this version on Precise Puppy 5.7.1 and it works fine, so with Puppy itself there shouldn't be a problem.

How I wrote above, try to install a flash blocker plugin into your browser. Then it only shows Flash content if you allow it. Maybe also install Adblock Edge.

mikeb

#10 Post by mikeb »

Sorry if I sound harsh and angry, but the ignorance of Puppy users and community about security is shocking
I find it shocking that most who talk about 'security' have absolutely no idea about what makes windows so insecure and that such mechanisms simply do not exist on other systems.

I see this is getting well off topic.

For the machine spec i would go for something like 10.3 flash player... make sure you have the best video driver for the machine and look at alternatives like firefox/seamonkey addons to download the source videos from you tube for a much better experience.

I have a couple of pentium 3 1GHz machines with Nvidia and they are ok for such as 320p flash video non full screen but not anything better just to give some form of reference.
Smooth fullscreen is fine using an addon to watch using such as vlc and mplayer on the other hand.

mike

nic007

#11 Post by nic007 »

The point is that new technology/programs will probably not work too well on a 1.2 GHZ machine. That's why we make the suggestions we are making.

darry1966

#12 Post by darry1966 »

nic007 wrote:The point is that new technology/programs will probably not work too well on a 1.2 GHZ machine. That's why we make the suggestions we are making.
Well said Nic007 - Can't agree more.

Mikeb Quote "I find it shocking that most who talk about 'security' have absolutely no idea about what makes windows so insecure and that such mechanisms simply do not exist on other systems.

I see this is getting well off topic.

For the machine spec i would go for something like 10.3 flash player... make sure you have the best video driver for the machine and look at alternatives like firefox/seamonkey addons to download the source videos from you tube for a much better experience.

I have a couple of pentium 3 1GHz machines with Nvidia and they are ok for such as 320p flash video non full screen but not anything better just to give some form of reference.
Smooth fullscreen is fine using an addon to watch using such as vlc and mplayer on the other hand".

Also Mike - practical advice as usual.
Last edited by darry1966 on Tue 12 Aug 2014, 08:44, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#13 Post by bigpup »

Johnny1993,

Specifically what multimedia do you want to watch?

For computer specs tell us the brand and model of the computer?

When you say using Lupu, What version?

If you are asking about watching stuff on the internet using Flash Player.

You can install Flash Player by using:

menu->Internet->Getflash Install Flash Player.

This program will find the latest Linux versions and offer to download and install.
It also offers some of the older versions, that some people have to use, because of their hardware.

You never know for sure what works until you try it.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

mikeb

#14 Post by mikeb »

Actually thee puppy users are so reckless there is a thread for flash security updates here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76087

By the way I have used and have done for many years flash 10.0.15 ... apart from it was a nice stable release it downloads videos to /tmp ..still waiting for my first infection

mike

someSven

#15 Post by someSven »

I find it shocking that most who talk about 'security' have absolutely no idea about what makes windows so insecure and that such mechanisms simply do not exist on other systems.
I didn't say I'm an expert on security, but I know that Linux is also not completely secure and browsers can be attacked under every system. There also may be many users which are running them as root.
nic007 wrote:
The point is that new technology/programs will probably not work too well on a 1.2 GHZ machine. That's why we make the suggestions we are making
I adressed that from beginning on. He may use the newest version, deactivate it, or ignore the risk and use an old version. But he has to be informed, also about how he can try the newest version.
Actually thee puppy users are so reckless there is a thread for flash security updates here
Great, but how many users are looking into the forum regulary? I didn't for a long time, and I will surely not come here all the time looking for updates. My system has to tell me. However if someone needs Flash then I'll point him to that forum thread.

nic007

#16 Post by nic007 »

someSven wrote:
I didn't say I'm an expert on security, but I know that Linux is also not completely secure and browsers can be attacked under every system. There also may be many users which are running them as root.
nic007 wrote:
The point is that new technology/programs will probably not work too well on a 1.2 GHZ machine. That's why we make the suggestions we are making
I adressed that from beginning on. He may use the newest version, deactivate it, or ignore the risk and use an old version. But he has to be informed, also about how he can try the newest version.
Great, but how many users are looking into the forum regulary? I didn't for a long time, and I will surely not come here all the time looking for updates. My system has to tell me. However if someone needs Flash then I'll point him to that forum thread.
I've been using Windows XP for 10 years without any ant-virus or anti-malware or whatever and without any problems whatsoever. I wouldn't say I'm an expert on security but I must be doing something right...and I have java and flash (older versions) on that Windows machine...like I do with Puppy ...for years now. If you don't use Internet Explorer or that other crap outlook, you have already dismissed 95% of the so-called security issues. A slowish machine (like what the user has) will definitely struggle with the latest programs.in Puppy (especially a newish Puppy).

someSven

#17 Post by someSven »

> ant-virus or anti-malware

They seem not to be very useful, but security updates are!

1. My point is users should be informed at best about missing security in a OS, and helped if they wanna increase it. I just gave him the chance to try. What's the problem with that?
2. You can't know if your system has already been misused as a member in a botnet or as proxy for criminals.
3. Not everyone uses the net the same way, this may also have influence on your risk.

> A slowish machine (like what the user has) will definitely struggle with the latest programs

How often shall this be repeated here? Inform, let them try, don't generalize. We are not talking about 'all programs' but about Flash. I'm even not sure that Flash is so much needed anymore, it's being more and more replaced in the web. Puppy should update it automatically, if it's not working then deactivate it. At least the users need to know that they are running an old and insecure version, if there is no auto-update.

nic007

#18 Post by nic007 »

someSven wrote:> ant-virus or anti-malware

They seem not to be very useful, but security updates are!

1. My point is users should be informed at best about missing security in a OS, and helped if they wanna increase it. I just gave him the chance to try. What's the problem with that?
2. You can't know if your system has already been misused as a member in a botnet or as proxy for criminals.
3. Not everyone uses the net the same way, this may also have influence on your risk.

> A slowish machine (like what the user has) will definitely struggle with the latest programs

How often shall this be repeated here? Inform, let them try, don't generalize. We are not talking about 'all programs' but about Flash. I'm even not sure that Flash is so much needed anymore, it's being more and more replaced in the web. Puppy should update it automatically, if it's not working then deactivate it. At least the users need to know that they are running an old and insecure version, if there is no auto-update.
Well as far as Windows is concerned I've used windows xp sp3 without any further updates. My rule of thumb with software - don't replace if you have been working with the same version for a number of years without any problems and the new version brings hardly any improvements as far as functionality is concerned. Waste of space in my opinion. How long have you been using Puppy? You need to at least have used older versions as well as newer versions to make a sensible call with regards to compatibality/performance, etc. I've used a few puppies along the line since version 412 (other posters here even older than that) and I can tell you the newer puppies are much tougher on hardware requirements. That is why we recommend certain versions of programs for certain puppies given the user's machine specifications. With a 1.2 GHZ machine I would actually suggest Puppy 412 as the performance will be better in general in comparison to newer puppies. As a matter of fact, I am still using Puppy 412 on a 1.7GHZ machine with only 256MB RAM. To update flash or other programs on that machine will usually lead to regress in performance overall.

someSven

#19 Post by someSven »

@nic007
Do what you want, but your reckless and irresponsible behavior can't be the standard. You have just no clue about computer security, or just don't care about it. Others may have more sensitive data on their PC or being more responsible about how their actions affect other users on the internet. To repeat it again:The users have to be informed if their system is insecure and how they could update old software.

nic007

#20 Post by nic007 »

someSven wrote:@nic007
Do what you want, but your reckless and irresponsible behavior can't be the standard. You have just no clue about computer security, or just don't care about it. Others may have more sensitive data on their PC or being more responsible about how their actions affect other users on the internet. To repeat it again:The users have to be informed if their system is insecure and how they could update old software.
:) Watch out that security boogey-man is coming to bite you. You are making a massive mistake by thinking that slightly older software renders ones system insecure. How do you get to that stupendous and utterly BS conclusion?