Multisession cd-r/dvd-r problem after saving the config

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
Ted Dog

rule out plextor PX-708A

#21 Post by Ted Dog »

This model is listed as tested within the source for growisofs.c (version 6.1) line 261 by the author. Got to love open source :D

plextor did have some endless loop problems on startup , line 150 growisofs.c

So I'm thinking motherboard.

theinfamousj

#22 Post by theinfamousj »

I've got nothing new to add. I've got the same problem. First boot = great. Configure my puppy the way I like it and go to shut down. Choose to burn to CD, the tray opens and closes claiming some sort of error. Then claims to burn a second session (later investigation of the disk shows that it DOES burn a second session). Then on reboot, the BIOS, even when specifically told to boot from CD, does not recognize the CD as containing any bootable files and boots straight in to Windows.

This has happened with multiple media. It has not, on the other hand, happened with multiple computers. I think it is a BIOS/motherboard thing. I'm running an IBM Thinkpad R52 (laptop). My roommate also has a Thinkpad, though hers is an M-something. We both have this problem.

However, my mother's custom built machine (desktop) does just fine. It can even boot up the non-booting multisession CDs. And when it burns a multisession CD, my Thinkpad cannot boot that one. I know it won't load the settings that are different ... my Thinkpad won't even boot in to that version of Puppy. If I'm wrong on my understanding that it is supposed to still load Puppy, just minus customizations, then mea culpa.

My understanding from reading this thread has been that this flea seems to affect laptops. I've found other ways of compensating for this and have moved on, but I figured I'd add my bug report in the event that someone ever wants to fix this problem.

For the record, I've tried (and failed) with -- Puppy 2.01, 2.02, 2.10, Grafpup 1.04 Deluxe, OfficePuppy

#23 Post by 3133 »

I am certain that this is a laptop hardware issue and has nothing to do with Puppy or the machine's BIOS. I burned 2.10 to a DVD using an Acer laptop, booted from it and configured my settings. It would not reboot, but then I didn't expect it to do so. Popped the DVD into a desktop. Booted up no bother, complete with settings.
The laptop/multisession DVD combination has a lot to be said for it, but it looks like they are mutually incompatible.

jolphil

#24 Post by jolphil »

I think it is more of a hit or miss thing as I have a home desktop and not a laptop..As mentioned above, I tried to re-boot on a very old machine (desktop) in my garage and it did re-boot..I am not sure if it is a timing issue,or something else in either the motherboard chipset or bios..I even took the old desktop in the garage and removed the cd burner and just as a test, tried it in my home desktop machine, still did not re-boot..This eliminated my cd/dvd burner as the main culprit at least in my instance..(and yes my bios found the changed cd burner)..

I also tried version 2.10 with the same result ..It's not puppy but my system..I had to try it to satisfy my curiosity..
my MB is a Asustek P4P 800deluxe with a Intel 865 chipset..
AMI bios ver 1010
jolphil

jasper

2.11 multisession works fine except for the video drivers

#25 Post by jasper »

All ther .dotpups and pupget's work fine , but no config settings get saved,
that and user installed app don't get saved.
Oh yeah, /archive NEVER gets written to.
I just wanted to install 0install...
Mabey go to barebone puppy and and fill in mega pup with all the individual app
puplished under 0install
Oh yeah, multi session works but it's screwy, all sessions get saved, only some get loaded it seems. it's worse the more changes get made to the session.[/b]

virtualsamana

#26 Post by virtualsamana »

Just wanted to chime in that I am in the same boat. Both 2.02 and 2.11 won't work in multi-session after saving a session. I don't have a DVD writer on my laptop so I am saving to CDR. It also does the thing where the tray won't write the first time and the tray opens, the second time it writes but the CD is no longer bootable.

I am using a one-year-old Compaq presario laptop.