Cannot connect to router

Using applications, configuring, problems
Marcel

Cannot connect to router

#1 Post by Marcel »

I have a frugal install of Lupu 528 on my PC (call it PCA) that runs Vista.
The PCA is networked, via a USB dongle, to another PC (call it PCB)。
PCB is connected by a cable to a router which is cabled to my landline. The router also has a wireless antenna.
PCA accesses PCB and the Internet with no problem. However Lupu just cannot access the router – I have tried all sorts of parameters in the networking application – both the classic (Dougal enhanced) and Barry's simple one. They both were able to scan and find the new router, but cannot connect to it. In Lupu the dongle is set with ndiswrapper.
Last week I changed from a wireless router to the present (landline) one. While on the old wireless router there was no problem connecting from Lupu – same dongle, same ndiswrapper.
I am at a loss. What info can I supply to get help?
Thanks
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." - Voltaire

jafadmin

#2 Post by jafadmin »

I'm kind of confused about your setup.

Is the wired network PCA->PCB->Router->Internet?

Then you're trying to connect PCA via wireless to the router?

If this is the case, you're probably trying to set 2 ip addresses on the same network, but all traffic is gatewaying to the wired connector.

It would help if you could post the output from the ifconfig command.

Marcel

more re: cannot connect

#3 Post by Marcel »

Here is the result from ifconfig:
ifconfig

lo Link encap:Local Loopback

inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0

UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1

RX packets:16 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:16 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

RX bytes:1168 (1.1 KiB) TX bytes:1168 (1.1 KiB)

With Vista running on both computers, PCB is connected to the router, and the router is connected to the phone line. PCA is wirelessly networked to PCB, and can access PCB and the internet.
But Lupu on PCA can't access the router. Maybe I should try to network Lupu to PCA rather than to the router?
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." - Voltaire

Marcel

still more re connection

#4 Post by Marcel »

Sorry - silly of me: I meant to say, Should I try to connect PCA wirelessly to PCB? Not sure how - I'm a dummy about networking. It was easy before I changed to a phoneline router!