Ubuntu corrupted my hard disk and partition. [SOLVED]

Booting, installing, newbie
RIZARDOUZ7

Ubuntu corrupted my hard disk and partition. [SOLVED]

#1 Post by RIZARDOUZ7 »

Today, I decided to install ubuntu 11.04 and replace windows xp. So in the ubuntu installation setup, I chose my primary partition and formatted it, then chose the second partition as a swap.

Then the installation process along with downloading the updates took me more than 4 hours coz I have a slow internet connection. Nevertheless, it showed that installation was successful, then it restarted itself after removing the installation disk.

So this is the problem now, nothing shows up when trying to boot from the primary hard disks and then I plugged in my flash drive and booted on puppy... ONLY to find out that my primary partition and secondary one, seems to be corrupted... cannot mount it and when running the ubuntu installer again from disks. It shows that the used space on both partitions were zero, so it seems it just wiped out everything.

I was really shocked because my external usb hd is also plugged in when the installation process was happening. I was VERY WORRIED that it might corrupted even my external hd but GLADLY it didn't so I was able to save some important files. Though it sucks coz the installation failed and it wiped out even the files on my second partition.

I don't know what's the problems since when trying ubuntu from cd boot, it works fine.

Can you suggest anything?
Last edited by RIZARDOUZ7 on Mon 15 Aug 2011, 05:24, edited 1 time in total.
Ephesians 2:8-9
King James Version (KJV)

8For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

9Not of works, lest any man should boast.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/jQQKa.gif[/img]

8-bit

#2 Post by 8-bit »

Since ubuntu failed, unless there is a great reason to install it, I would go with a frugal install of Puppy Lucid.
It is a lot lighter and can still run many ubuntu applications.

Are you sure that version of ubuntu wasn't patterned after windows? :)

RIZARDOUZ7

#3 Post by RIZARDOUZ7 »

I guess you're right, however one reason, I can't fully move on puppy is because there is no sounds when I use lucid however when using wary there is but another issue is that xorg on wary won't support my x1200 radeon while lucid's xorg works fine with my graphics card.

:oops:
King James Version (KJV)

8For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

8-bit

#4 Post by 8-bit »

If you post the specifications of your PC and ask for help in getting sound to work or for that matter, getting graphics to work, help is available.
There are quite a few posters though that ask for help to get their hardware working and expect us to guess what type/brand of hardware they are having problems with.
So remember to post the specifications of the brand/model/type of PC and as much information as you can about your hardware problem.

RIZARDOUZ7

#5 Post by RIZARDOUZ7 »

Update: I was able to reinstall ubuntu properly by disabling updates while installation. However, I have the same sound problem in ubuntu and lucid.

It detects my hda intel sound card, chip realtek ALC262.
But you can't adjust the sounds in alsamixer, no matter what you do, it's not possible to increase the volume of the speakers which is set to zero.

Furthermore, upon searching on google. I think I found a possible solution where in people who has realtek alc262. But I don' know how to execute it on terminal.

"#cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 | grep Codec
Codec: Realtek ALC262

Start up a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and add the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf like so:

#sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

Enter your password to proceed. At the end of the file, add the following line:
"

It would be nice if you can explain to me, how to execute the solution above.
King James Version (KJV)

8-bit

#6 Post by 8-bit »

It seems that Puppy does not have a file called alsa-base.conf.
So that solution will not work.
I would investigate the configuration of either the video or sound on wary and lucid to see if you can figure out what is going on.
You could try copying /etc/X11/xorg.conf from lucid to wary and then restart wary to see if it takes the new xorg.conf and gives you a desktop after exiting to prompt and then typing xwin.

RIZARDOUZ7

#7 Post by RIZARDOUZ7 »

Thanks, so how do I copy that file?