Video problem

Booting, installing, newbie
gary

Video problem

#1 Post by gary »

Oh man, I had this problem a few months ago and now it has come back. Here's the jest of it... I installed 5.2 on a flash drive and it was working fine. I then pushed the auto adjust button on my LCD and now can't get the screen to center anymore. The puppy desktop screen is now oriented to the left and lower than it should be by about a 1/2 inch in both directions. This leaves off some of the desktop screen. The thing is, everything still works correctly booting with my 5.2 ISO CD, so it's not the video hardware or the monitor. It is only shifted when I boot from my flash drive. I have looked at xorg.conf, xorg.conf0, xorg.conf1, xorg.conf.nvidia, and numerous other xorgs (what are all these for?), and don't see anything glaring that would cause this shifting problem. The problem is consistent and repeatable (it's not an intermittent).

Basically, if it still works booting from the CD then what has changed on my flash drive setup that could cause this?
[b]Hasten Slowly![/b]

gary

#2 Post by gary »

OK, solved it, er, well sorta... I just copied the old xorg.conf file from the ISO CD to the flash and now it's working OK again. Does anyone have any idea why the xorg file could have changed on the flash drive to the point where the screen would no longer center? It almost seemed like my monitor sent a signal out to the video hardware that caused Puppy to modify the xorg.conf file???
[b]Hasten Slowly![/b]