Planning for Puppy 1.0.9

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
kethd

#81 Post by kethd »

I still wish the standard Puppy desktop told the version, plain. Could be this trick: Instead of "Help", the icon be be labelled "109 Help".

I am kind of attracted to the distros that just gen version numbers from the release date. But that gets a little complex in the current Puppy release situation, where we have two series, the 1.x and 2.x, interweaving.

pakt

#82 Post by pakt »

BarryK wrote: In fact, why don't we just use version 109, 110, etc?
Internally, this is what Puppy does -- see file /etc/puppyversion.
Good - much simpler. Follows the "kiss" principle ;)

Pizzasgood

#83 Post by Pizzasgood »

...a bit amazing, when we announce, now released version 110, or 200!
compared with other distros piddling little version 1 or 2
Sounds good to me :D In literature class, we were complaining about how all the so called "good" poets wrote sonnets with numbers for names (Sonnet 18, Sonnet 120, etc.). So, I decided that if I ever write any more sonnets (my only one so far was several years ago and about cheese cake), I'm going to use numbered names too. But I'm going to use binary for the numbers, so I'll rapidly reach 1101, or even 10010. :P

Though if Puppy skips from 109/110 to 200, people might wonder where the 90 missing versions went :wink:
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Waikiki Websurfer

Version numbers

#84 Post by Waikiki Websurfer »

I agree that whatever is in Puppyversion file as the version number should also be the official version number, i.e. 1.0.8r1 should be know as version 108.

I always thought it to be a bit funny that Puppy would have a jump from version number 1.0.x directly to 2.x(.x), especially when current (official) version 1.0.8 was preceded by 1.0.x where x=current-1 for each previous version, instead of 1.1.x where the next logical version would seem to be 1.1.0 (or 1.1) and not 2 or 2.0 or 2.0.0

Whenever there are major changes (rather than incremental bugfixes, or "minor" application upgrades or changes), such as a change in Mozilla Suite to Seamonkey and/or kernelchanges and/or different (default) windowmanagers, etc., this should be obvious from the version number (Puppy 200 series, 300 series, etc) while there will still be room for up to 99 more versions in each "major" version.

By the same token, when there is a new revision uploaded to servers pumping out puppies, that should always be reflected in the Puppyversion file.

(Warning, dumb joke to follow!)
Another benefit of the three digit convention in version numbers is quite obvious. For example, the current iteration of Puppy, 1.0.8, when renamed to version 108, will inform the technically astute user that Puppy is running on a 1.0 litre V8, and further development will necessitate increasing engine capacity to the 200 series Puppy in order to remain competitive in the Linux field, hence the jump to Puppy2 series.
Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/248_F1
(No flames please -- you were warned!)
__O__ \/\/ \/\/
__/\___
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

wscarl

Sound driver

#85 Post by wscarl »

BarryK wrote:I've got another PC that uses the via 82xxx sound driver.
It worked with OSS, but I haven't checked it with ALSA. It should do, it's a very common sound driver.
I'll try it tomorrow.
Please let me IF and/OR how you got the ALSA to work with via 82xxx sound driver.

wscarl

#86 Post by wscarl »

BarryK wrote:
kethd wrote:I'm inclined to be in favor of Release Candidates... I don't think we can know the future. So we don't really know that 1.0.9 will be the "end of the line". But please don't go to 1.0.10 -- it is logical, but I fear it confuses people. 1.1.1 might be bettter...
Yes, I'm committed to using single digits, so after 1.0.9 it has to be 1.1.0.

In fact, why don't we just use version 109, 110, etc?
Internally, this is what Puppy does -- see file /etc/puppyversion.

...a bit amazing, when we announce, now released version 110, or 200!
compared with other distros piddling little version 1 or 2 :lol:
Version naming base on kernel ei.. Puppy 2.4.31 (if verson before new kernel) A-Z. Hope for Puppy 2.6.16 duel track with Puppy 2.4.31 (and beond) support turn over to puppy foundation and Barry leading the delopment of Puppy 2.6.16 and beond.

Dragonopolis

IMPORTANT - Please for Puppy 1.09 compile the latest ALSA

#87 Post by Dragonopolis »

There was a major bug in the ALSA drivers prior to alsa-driver-1.0.10rc1 that affected usb audio. Make sure all the proper modules are loaded and settings in menuconfig are set appropriately. Just about every linux distro has trouble with ALSA. Dmix and Dsnoop should be added to so users can use multiple devices.

It sucks that when there is an major update to ALSA you have to recompile the damn Kernel.

Here is the latest links to download stable and current

Stable alsa-driver-1.0.10
ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/driver/a ... 10.tar.bz2

I am also providing the current release candidate. It's at rc5 so I have a feeling that it is very close to final - here is the link:
ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/driver/ ... c5.tar.bz2

I have yet to see an ALSA configuration that usb was automagically configure on boot up.- at least for me. I have a AK5370 usb mic that is supposed to work in ALSA but I have to manually configure ALSA nine out of 10 times (thank you Gentoo - source base distros rule). After installing gentoo, I came to the conclusion that ALSA is just not set up right on precompiled kernels and the documentation on how to fix compatibility issues is definitely shakey. However, Gentoo does have it's shortcomings as well. I have not been successful yet on running my AK5370 usb mic on any slackware based distro yet. Here's hoping.

I am not alone either. Others's usb sound devices struggle with ALSA. The problem is , there is no pattern to what works and what doesn't. I have read several threads from other distros and have found that duplicating other's success (especially when using a different distro) is really hard. We are living in the age of plug and play devices and being a portable Linux distro usb compatibliy should be a priority.

I'm sorry I can't help on the compiling part. I'm just now learning how to compile (and I cheated when installing gentoo) and have killed a couple distros of mine already just trying. I can however test. If someone has a puppy with updated ALSA and want's it tested I be happy to do it. I've been
hacking my way through ALSA configurations for awhile now and am used to failure. I've notice that there is a lack of knowledgeable ALSA gurus in the linux world and maybe that's where I can do my small part (if I can get the hang of it that is)

tempestuous

#88 Post by tempestuous »

Dragonopolis,
Puppy's version of ALSA is apparently 1.0.8 to match Vector Linux 5.1.
But jcoder24 has an ALSA DotPup which is version 1.0.10 -
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=1559

PeterSieg

I have collected some small tcl/tk apps/games

#89 Post by PeterSieg »

Hi, I have collected some small tcl/tk apps/games for probably inclusion in puppy109.

archive is here: http://puppylinux.abcde.biz/cms/downloads/tcl.tgz

Some screen shots:
asteroids

checkers

juggler

vertigo

tktris

moonphases

PS
Have fun :)

Caraibes

Re: Sound driver

#90 Post by Caraibes »

wscarl wrote:
BarryK wrote:I've got another PC that uses the via 82xxx sound driver.
It worked with OSS, but I haven't checked it with ALSA. It should do, it's a very common sound driver.
I'll try it tomorrow.
Please let me IF and/OR how you got the ALSA to work with via 82xxx sound driver.
It never worked, neither OSS or ALSA...

Barry, remember us for the next Pupp PLEASE !!!

HueyNym

Sound Driver

#91 Post by HueyNym »

via 82xxx OSS or ALSA, no problems here with this epia 5000 - I don't remember ever doing anything other than booting up. It's always worked. OSS at least since 0.98, ALSA since whenever it showed up. Now, JACK, that's a horse of a different colour...

--Huey

Caraibes

Re: Sound Driver

#92 Post by Caraibes »

HueyNym wrote:via 82xxx OSS or ALSA, no problems here with this epia 5000 - I don't remember ever doing anything other than booting up. It's always worked. OSS at least since 0.98, ALSA since whenever it showed up. Now, JACK, that's a horse of a different colour...

--Huey
Huey, that sounds great for you , and I am feeling a bit jealous (!!!)

I have 4 PC
Attachments
Foxconn-K7S41GXMG-6L.jpg
This is the Foxconn :
(9.26 KiB) Downloaded 1282 times
asrock.jpg
This is the Asrock :
(31.49 KiB) Downloaded 1281 times
m7vig400.jpg
This is the Biostar :
(30.89 KiB) Downloaded 1278 times

Waikiki Websurfer

Games?

#93 Post by Waikiki Websurfer »

Peter,

I think the moonphase is Ok, and semi-useful (to some users), but is there really a need to include games into a distro which is designed to be minimal in size?

I know Puppy already has some games included, but they're all definitely a waste of space (and time) IMHO.
__O__ \/\/ \/\/
__/\___
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#94 Post by Lobster »

:? Games are a waste of time - sometimes we need space to do that. I have barely looked at them but they seem a good selection.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Pizzasgood

#95 Post by Pizzasgood »

This year I discovered what appears to be the most effective, luring, addictive, and yet useful waste of time I've ever seen. It's called wikipedia. Specifically, it's those darn cross-links. I go in for one simple bit of information, and the next thing I know I have ten tabs open on subjects gradually progressing so far from the original topic that I can't remember how I got there.

A bit like my mom and shopping, except that I only waste my own time. I don't take someone else with me to wikipedia, tell them I'll only be a minute, then come back in several hours. I surf solo.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Where will we be then?

#96 Post by Lobster »

:) One day we may add another useful addiction . . . we may call on you to be project leader for a community based Puppy. . .
My feeling is that spreading the load between two project leaders may make you more willing? Maybe after your summer adventures with your dad? So this will be a Puppy2 based possibility . . .

My first adventures with the WWW (pre-wikipedia):
I used to go to the British Library. Even at that time it had cutting edge technology. For example a scanning technology that allowed you to view xrays and other info that gave you more info than looking at the actual manuscripts. I used to regularly talk to the project leader and use the technology before it went public.

In two hours of using Google (or similar) I was able to get more info and answers than 2 years of research at the library. I am still mourning the death of the Alexandria library from a fire . . .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library_of_Alexandria

One suggested Puppy project is selected wikipedia pages + Puppy - I call it Grrrrr!!!
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=45042#45042
(I got the DVD - looking into LightScribe etching at the moment)

Knowledge is power. That is why we know to use Linux. One day all people will be penguins.
Where will we be then?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

aussie

#97 Post by aussie »

Lobster wrote:One day all people will be penguins.
Where will we be then?
Probably still out in the cold, freezing our ba*** off, waiting for the "Gates" to open, and bring us in from the cold :)
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie

Pizzasgood

#98 Post by Pizzasgood »

One day we may add another useful addiction . . . we may call on you to be project leader for a community based Puppy. . .
My feeling is that spreading the load between two project leaders may make you more willing? Maybe after your summer adventures with your dad? So this will be a Puppy2 based possibility . . .
Maybe. I can't see that far into the future at the moment (having never attended college, I don't know how busy I'll be). My image is that of a hedgehog, not a mouse, and I have no worms, so you'll forgive me if my powers of prophesy aren't as strong as those of a certain resident of Arrakis.

What cold? If anything, I'm having problems with heat. Heading north for the summer is going to be refreshing. I'm getting out of the Out house, as they say :)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#99 Post by Lobster »

:) It will look good on your CV - Project leader for Puppy Linux 2.2 Community Edition - really that is up to Barry and how he wishes to spend his time

I really feel that Barry and our leading edge developers are creating a great version in Puppy2 . . .

Meanwhile Puppy 1.09 our first Puppy in quite a while, with Firefox built in - you want it - you got it - will be out in a few days, all going well . . .

Maybe someone will add some links here and Nathan will include this as a link . . .
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/OnlineResources

:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Caraibes

#100 Post by Caraibes »

:D
Can't wait to try 109 !!!