::: SimplePup 0.3.1 ::: ready for testing

News, happenings
timcriger

::: SimplePup 0.3.1 ::: ready for testing

#1 Post by timcriger »

Using the help of this forum, SimplePup 0.3.1 is ready for download.

ftp://puppyfiles.us/pub/releases/simplepup/
or
http://dotpups.de/isos/

Designed to be clean and simple, SimplePup 0.3.1 does the basics of what most home desktop users need.... with the configurability of the XFCE window manager, pupget, and dotpups. Pupgets and Dotpups that you add yourself can be added to the XFCE menu via the menu editor.

Highlights:
-stripped down (based on Empty Crust 1.0.7)
-XFCE window manager
-Firefox 1.5.0.1 (with flash and gxine plugins)
-Thunderbird 1.5
-Abiword 2.4.1
-Perl 5.8 (use ndiswrapper right away for wireless cards)
-Graveman 0.3.8 (and upgraded burniso2cd)
-Gxine 0.4.6 (with added codecs)
-Mtpaint 2.10
-GQview 2.0.1
-some cleaned up graphics and stuff...
-... and of course, it still has all those other terrific Puppy qualities (stability, excellent hardware compatibility, helpful forum support, pupget management, etc.)

Fixes for 0.3.1:
-changes are saved in pupSIMP on harddrive
-checks ram size at startup before loading usr_cram.fs (*i hope, still needs testing*)
-/root/.mozilla removed; firefox no longer preconfigured, should fix any saving problems
-netload on XFCE panel now monitors the common "eth0" interface (easily changed by right-clicking properties)

Changes for 0.3.1:
-XFCE menu button is changed to the clean puppypaw (not my crazy older brother's face anymore)
-firewall wizard added to menu
-desktop background image, lowered resolution[/img]
Last edited by timcriger on Thu 23 Mar 2006, 03:08, edited 1 time in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Up and running

#2 Post by Lobster »

8)

I am in it now - Firefox settings seem to be saving, that is better. OK will report back later :)

Good job!

Update:
No Gaim :(
Passwords in the previous version were not saving in Firefox - as mentioned this has been upgraded and is working. Do we have a transparent "greenpup paw" logo for the "start" button in the next version?

We need testers for the wireless component - who is up for it?

I am using it on a 1200 Duron with 256 meg of memory. It has one great essential quality. Usability.
Last edited by Lobster on Thu 23 Mar 2006, 06:52, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

MU

#3 Post by MU »

Last edited by MU on Fri 14 Jul 2006, 18:34, edited 1 time in total.

mdisaster

Re: Up and running

#4 Post by mdisaster »

Lobster wrote:8)
We need testers for the wireless component - who is up for it?
I'll give it a try in the next days. I have a zd1211 USB adapter that only works with Tempestuous' drivers (which I really hope are in the ISO) and a Toshiba laptop with a Atheros chip, wish me luck :)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#5 Post by Lobster »

Here is a lucky Buddha (that is me in my cructacean form on the white rock)
I am official fish consultant to the lucky Buddha . . .

. . . just for luck . . .
and now back to the records . . .

The image was taken with an old E photo 780c agfa digital, SM card reader from Jessop, recognised by MUT and edited in MTpaint - all done in the latest SimplePup - Sweet

"OM YA HA HUM" as the Lobster said to the Buddha
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Marco_Inge

Re: ::: SimplePup 0.3.1 ::: ready for testing

#6 Post by Marco_Inge »

timcriger wrote:Using the help of this forum, SimplePup 0.3.1 is ready for download.
Seems like I'm not able to drag and drop icons of applications or foldes on the desktop... is it me (I'm surely not an expert)?

Thanks for your help and for the nice puppy version.

Marco

babbs

#7 Post by babbs »

I'm sorry for being absent most of this week. Family emergency.

SimplePup-0.3.1 has been posted to:
ftp://puppyfiles.us/pub/releases/simplepup/

timcriger

AAARG!!!

#8 Post by timcriger »

To: timcriger
Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:16 am
Subject: Re: SimplePup 0.3.1 ready to test

Hi. I tested 0.3.1. It still doesn't work right Sad

I simulated a qemu environment with no useable hdd partition.

Memory loads/mounts usr_cram.fs results
64 mounts runs ok
128 loads error out of space
160 loads error out of space
196 loads error out of space
256 loads runs ok

So the ramdisk size needed is still not correctly calculated!

PS
Sorry, this is frustrating!! Seems i haven't properly fixed the ramdisk size test at boot up, etc.
I'll have to appeal to those much more knowledgeable on how to fix this bug... (alienx, MU, Barry, raffy, bombayrockers, pizzasgood, GuestToo... others?)

Thanks for your patience with my learning curve.
Hope you enjoy SimplePup (on machines with 64ram or 256ram and above anyway : )

--Tim

mdisaster

#9 Post by mdisaster »

Ok, I installed Simple on my second PC (AthlonXP 2000 / 256 Mb RAM / wireless USB only with no wired network) and as of now it is working like a charm - looks great, no issues with hardware detection, and my wireless script for zd1211 worked at the first try. However WAG locks the machine solid and ndiswrapper causes a kernel panic (this also happens with 1.07).
I also have a PCI wireless card somewhere (Sitecom 140+), I'll try with that one as soon I figure out the chip.

Things I plan to test:
- installing Italian locale which hopefully will give me the Euro (the IT keyboard is fine btw)
- installing stuff
- other (feel free to ask)

Ah, and I went thru some head scratching because there was no audio setup wizard and I thought I had missed something. Actually my soundblaster worked great out of the box, but I wonder if some tweakage could be needed in other situations.

On my main machine Puppy can only run in RAM because there is only a SATA disk (and the CD is hda, which totally freaks out Slackware, hehe), plus I can't make the onboard audio work if my life depended on it - it is the VIA AC97 codec in the Asus K8V SE Deluxe, the module gets loaded but no sound. However I booted SimplePup in RAM, and apart from the above issues it works great. I did have some problems with the SVGA server (jerky mouse and sometime it sets a different resolution from what I asked). Xorg is flawless though.

I didn't test with the Toshiba laptop yet, maybe in the weekend.

Overall, I rate SimplePup as "awesome" . Congrats and keep up the good work :D

Delboy

#10 Post by Delboy »

Simplepup is EXACTLY what I have been looking for for ages for this Toshiba Portege 3440CT. Because of it's pcmcia CDrom and IRQ set-up, it is difficult to boot various live ISOs such as Austrumi that I wanted. The addition of XFCE to puppy has made it 'must have' as far as I am concerned now. The range of software is all I need - I might add gnumeric later If I really need it but that's it. Thunderbird and other stuff looks great.
I had real difficulty configuring video with Puppy standard 1.08 - Vesa option didn't work at all and I just could not get xorg to work either.
Simplepup, on the other hand, allows me to install 1024x768x24 vesa straight away on the same machine - weird. Perhaps 'pizzapup' would have worked but I could not get that to boot.
I have managed to boot Simplepup .iso files copied from cdrom to linux hda3 partition from within Ubuntu installed on that partition. I want to hard disk boot from DOS hda1 so that I can then HD install over the hda3 Ubuntu. Which floppy boot disk should I use please?. My last copy of 'wakepup' does not seem to work with Simplepup'.
Should DOS partition be vfatt16 or converted to vfat32 first?
I don't have any windows installed.
Again, Simplepup is the 'dog's b*******' as we say in this part of the world.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#11 Post by Lobster »

SimplePup now has its own wiki page
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/SimplePup

8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

lch

#12 Post by lch »

Thank you for this really great composition. A nicely themed XFCE desktop with Firefox and Thunderbird and a sleek menu is just what I was looking for, unfortunately even the Barebones Puppy seems just too bloated to me. For anybody that wants to install this Puppy to the hard drive and has trouble with it:

I don't own a floppy drive and the install script doesn't like that, so I had to do a frugal installation by hand. I already have a functional linux system running and I use GRUB, so I did the frugal install just according to spec (copied the four files over, created and modified the boot entry in GRUB). The one thing that I didn't do and which caused me to fail with a kernel panic every time I tried to boot the system was that you need the ramdisk to a certain size - Tim seems to have had the same problems when he announced SimplePup's death (although rumours of its death may have been greatly exaggerated). What you have to do is add

Code: Select all

ramdisk=262144
to the kernel parameters, together with the other boot parameters, then it should work.

I hope SimplePup will rise from it's grave again, even if it might be by taking over the Barebones Puppy as a suitable host first.

Artie

#13 Post by Artie »

I would love to see a SimplePuppy based on 1.09CE with the beautiful XFCE GUI.

Basu

#14 Post by Basu »

I second that. And add Bombayrockers gtk engines and theme switcher

noewalt

Xfce Simple Puppy

#15 Post by noewalt »

hi
I too would like to see a brand new Simple Puppy based on 1.09CE or 2.0 -----WORKING, though PLEASE!
How the heck can I get to print on an old BJC-4100?
Have tried installing CUPS, Turboprint, etc, have surfed the whole net, read all Puppy Linux Forum theads searching for the right hint-- NOTHING thus far has helped solve this issue.
The distro is nice, lightweight and awesome, runs beautifully on an old k-6 500Mhx pc, a real candy indeed but what if it doesn't print?
Is a ready made dotpup fix available?
Thank you

noewalt

MU

#16 Post by MU »