Puppy 2.0A- Solution for USB dialup?

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
Fox7777

Puppy 2.0A- Solution for USB dialup?

#1 Post by Fox7777 »

We realize that Puppy talks against USB dialup modems in the Dial up modem howto but that is the only option on many laptops and other computers. Is there a solution? If not part of the standard Puppy distro, could it be added as a PupGet?

babbs

#2 Post by babbs »

Hi Fox,

I have an HP Pavalion which has an ESS internal modem. As I've posted numerous times, ESS will never work with any flavor of Linux.

Although I must admit that I didn't even think about using an external modem via USB, I sought the advice of "MarvS" of linmodems.org as to which model modem I could use (the cheaper, the better). He recommended the following modem, and I've been very happy (US$20, uncluding shipping):

3Com Megahertz
56K Cellulary Modem
PC Card (PCMICA)
Model 3CXM556

PriceGrabber.com has them for as low as US$12+shipping. (The link goes directly to the search results on "3cxm556".)

Babbs

Fox7777

Re: Puppy 2.0A- Solution for USB dialup?

#3 Post by Fox7777 »

Thanks. What we need is software to run our Best Data 56USBP 56K USB external modem which works well with SUSE Linux 10. Where do we get software to run this USB modem on Puppy? Also when is Chubby Puppy 2.0 arriving?

babbs

#4 Post by babbs »

Fox,

I'm sorry. This thread dropped off my radar screen. I'm adding this as a "bump to the top" effort of getting someone else to comment.

Babbs