wrong seamonkey webpage renderization

Using applications, configuring, problems
Dingo

wrong seamonkey webpage renderization

#1 Post by Dingo »

I'm planning to move many files hosted on dokupuppy, towards live skydrive, but...

trying to access a file hosted on skydrive
http://cid-403ced9ef9d5f298.skydrive.li ... lic/cclive
seamonkey render page as showed:
while right render is this:
how do you see this url?
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

Correctly on firefox 1.5

mike

DaveS

#3 Post by DaveS »

rubbish on 1.1.18
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#4 Post by DaveS »

Fine in firefox 3.5.*
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Dingo

Found a workaround for Skydrive render problem

#5 Post by Dingo »

Woof Woof (as a dog jumping like a frog)!

Found a workaround

In Seamonkey url bar type:

about:config

type again

general.useragent.extra.seamonkey

ansd change user agent from Seamonkey to other browser (let say... Firefox)

Now Skydrive works fine (damned Micro$oft!!!)
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

mwestlund

#6 Post by mwestlund »

I do a lot with XML and I think this is what happened to this page. The page left the server flagged as an XML document. This would explain the XML entity error listed. Seamonkey processes a page as it is flagged. As an XML document, it fist must be parsed then processed. The errant entity '<' caused an error in the XML parsing. Thus, the error you see. Seamonkey did a good job! IE/Firefox and the other most likely scan the doctype and uses that data and disregards the XML flag and process it not as an XML document, but as an HTML/XHTML document. This is why these browsers get bloated to deal with idiot code. Just my observations on what happened. It is the Web page/server flag that is at fault, not Seamonkey. -Mark

mikeb

#7 Post by mikeb »

mwestlund ...yes the biggest problem is erronious code that erronious browsers display correctly. Firefox has tended towards handling IE quirks to maintain popularity . Frontpage makes bad code that IE displays correctly but can look horrendous on firefox...try here
http://www.whcrfm.com/view.asp?id=40

the dimensions of the boxes are larger than the container..firefox (1.5) shows as it is but IE looks perfect...2 wrongs making a right it seems.

I assume the idea is that everyone buys frontpage because everyone is running 'free' IE....thus trashing any third party attempts to 'do it right'

regards

mike

DaveS

#8 Post by DaveS »

LOL Mike, that page is a MESS!
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

mikeb

#9 Post by mikeb »

LOL Mike, that page is a MESS!
well it is the radio station that obtained a license to broadcast to only one half of the city by choice :D

mike

Makoto

#10 Post by Makoto »

Microsoft included a free/lite version of FrontPage with Win98, I believe... can't recall if they ever had that version available for download, or anything like it.

On the other hand, probably an equally annoying problem is the HTML Microsoft Word generates... it's usually bloated HTML code, and if I remember correctly, it seems to LIKE turning every character into separate entities... :shock:

Could the problem be that the SkyDrive page's code only accounts for some of the 'popular' browsers, pushing the 'proper' code when it recognizes the browser agents for, say, IE, FF, maybe Opera, but doesn't quite know what to do when it encounters a browser that's not on the list?

...then again, I'd hate to see what it does to Links. :P
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).