How to use Huawei USB Modem E220?

muggins

#21 Post by muggins »

Hi Rerwin,

I'm using pup-4.1.2, on an eeepc 900, and puppy doesn't properly detect my huawei e160 modem. No option module is loaded.

Edit Woops...I didn't try the modprobe option, then reboot scenario. I'll try again & repost later.

muggins

#22 Post by muggins »

Just rebooted manually modprobed option, then ran pupdial, & ran it's probe function, & yes, it does detect the huawei e169.

The only problem being that it sees the device as having a maximum speed of 9600, rather than 460800!

kazzamozz

How To connect using GPRS connect

#23 Post by kazzamozz »

Hello everyone
Before I begin sorry if this is a double post, but it is sometimes difficult to get the information using a search. This is an update for GPRS connect to simplify getting onto the net, and tests I have done using various versions and flavours of Puppy hope it is useful.
I will post on the Newbies (still am one of those ) How to's as well.

Also will start a new thread in relation to the tests and success of each puppy.

Let me know where this should be posted
All tests will be carried out using Live CDs with no installation of extra pets or updates.

Equipment used to date:
Toshiba Satellite Pro L300
EeePc 701SD
Dell Latitude 6000 and 6100
Medion (Model ? will enter when I get back from holidays)
Acer aspire One
Dell GX520
Other models at home which I have built so will look at those later.
I
Thanks for Rerwins and others for their tireless efforts, which has given me a better understanding of how things work.

Please note these entries are using an Australian Vodafone model K3715 USB stick.

Also please look at the following links as this is where all the work is currently being done, and if you want to join in and help Rerwin to simplify using this on puppy linux please go to the following.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=37828

For information on entries for 3G modems using GPRS connect

courtesy of Kultex (many thanks) look at the following:

Austria, Germany,Switzerland:
http://linux.frankenberger.at/Huawei_E220_Daten.html
For the rest of the World:
http://www.flexispy.com/Mobile%20APN%20 ... 20GPRS.htm

Okay here goes:

Connect to the USB dongle or stick to computer after bootup screen appears as it can hang system. (tries to boot from it sometimes) I will note each puppy tested whether to have it plugged in first or later as it can differ. Will add link at a later time when I have tested a few.

The following is an example of how I get onto the net using 3G 8)

My example is for Vodafone Australia.

From the Desktop or Main Menu: (standard puppy menus)

Go into Setup:

Select: Connect to internet or Intranet button

Select: Connect by wireless GPRS button

Select: Re probe modems Button

Enter the following information:

Serial Modem Device File: /dev/ttyUSB0

APN: Vfinternet.au (your provider name)

USERNAME: guest

PASSWORD: guest

PHONE NO: *99***1#

PHONE PIN: 0000 (default for vodafone unless you
have changed it. Check your
documentation for your providers
standard default)

Select: OK button

Select: OKay when dialog appears

Select from Desktop: Connect button

Please note: The first time you do this you will have to select GPRs connect button then after that only a dialog box appears on your desktop.

When dialog appears
Select: Select R to connect

Minimise this dialog box, when you wish to disconnect or just close it or use Control C as per the dialog box

Hope this is okay to follow and helps someone.

Cheers
Kazzamozz :)
Last edited by kazzamozz on Mon 21 Dec 2009, 02:36, edited 2 times in total.

01micko

#24 Post by 01micko »

Hello kazzamozz

That's all well and good you got it to work, but you are better off to use Pupdial which 'rerwin' has refined and is working with many 3g modems and ISPs accross the world. Here's the thread http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=37828

If you have problems, there are a series of logs that you can post to that thread. Rerwin will work with you to fix the problem. The reason I urge this s because it helps make Puppy better for everybody out of the box.

For example, I have a Huewei e169 with VirginBroadband Australia and that was a hassle to get going, but we did it and now there are some happy customers. On 4.3 it connects perfectly with the latest Pupdial pets on my Eee-701SD.

Cheers.

Mick
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

kazzamozz

3G Wireless Modems

#25 Post by kazzamozz »

Hi there,

Thanks for your response,
I only posted this method as I had been following various threads including Rerwins efforts but to no avail. I have downloaded many pets and installed them etc, followed heaps of links still couldn't get it to work. I was new to puppy and it seemed all to hard so I did put it to one side, until I came across this method quite by accident.

Yes this was prior to 4.3.1.

I found setting it up this way very easy, and have had no trouble with it dropping out or slowing down.
It also runs faster than when I hook up under windows.

If I use pupdial will I get dialup speed or 3G speed?

Currently I have 3G (blue) not GPRs (green). When I hook up under windows I can only get (green) lights very slow.

Also I don't get any connection charges with this method, not sure if I were to use pupdial would it be the same, however I will check this out.

Maybe there is a difference with Virgin and Vodafone I will let you know when I try pupdial and 4.3 later today.

I agree it would be great if it works straight out of the box, however it is sometimes good to know another method to use. I'm all for making Puppy easier, as I am pushing it to whoever will listen.

To be honest I thought this method was very straight forward will compare the two methods later today, and post my thoughts on it.

cheers
Kazzamozz

01micko

#26 Post by 01micko »

Hi kazzamozz

I have no problem with your method. Like I said, great you got it going, and I should have said thanks for sharing.

I was just pointing you to the thread for the good of Puppy 8)

This is an old thread, before rerwin started on his mission. He has no 3G modems at all but due to his patience and his skill with modems in general he has managed to get many 3Gers online with a minimum of fuss. He could possibly use your help to further improve Pupdial, and of course, we won't settle for anything but maximum speed in puppy :wink:

Cheers .

kazzamozz

3G Modems

#27 Post by kazzamozz »

Hi 01Micko

Just gave it a go with Pupdial 431 using my Vodafone. It initializes it but that's about it. Still no joy, even if I enter usernames and phone numbers etc. Also could only get it too blink with a green light.

It can see it but won't talk to it and I get no dial tone. Must be something specific with the Vodafone (Grrr). Tell me does the virgin dongle just work without any entries?

Personally I find entering the info (as I know it) into the GPRS connect much less daunting, than the pup dial dialog screen. That's only because I haven't really needed to play with pupdial yet.

Anyway I'm only too glad to be of any help re this, I have totally ditched windows now. The clincher was getting my vodafone 3G to work, so now I no longer need windows.

Unfortunately these problems do put people off puppy, but if you persevere you realise how fantastic it is.

:lol:
Cheers
Kazza

01micko

#28 Post by 01micko »

kazzamozz

The virgin dongle had a similar prob to what you are describing. I too, went the route of the 'GPRS connect' and had success. (It is documented in that thread I linked to of rerwin's), In the end, with some persistance and some Googling I came up with a solution. In "/etc/ppp/options" I had to add the "-chap" (no quotes) option using Pupdial. Success. Rerwin came up with an automatic solution, and it is in the 4.3 bugs thread. Now I don't know if it would work for vodafone but it may. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=135 ... that's the post (at least on that page :lol: ) . There is something about a special case with virgin and there is a folder '/etc/wvdial_options' with a file specific to virgin adding the chap option. Perhaps vodafone needs something like that, perhaps something else.

Post in that thread I mentioned of rerwin's in the above post and he will sort it out, with your help, eventually. :wink:

Cheers

Mick

mcalex

#29 Post by mcalex »

kazzamozz wrote:Also I don't get any connection charges with this method, not sure if ...
... as in no charge to just connect, or no d/load charges?

Hi Kazzamozz,
I've also been through lots of fun n games with trying to get a penguin online, and also recommend rerwin's solutions, implemented through pupdial. Yes, you get hi-speed. i have a Huawei e169 modem which seems to have two hi-speed modes (err, hsdpa and umts(i think)) and is dark or light blue, depending and also has the green gprs mode. I get a steady blue light more often with puppy than i ever did on win - lol, while typing that its just gone green and then back to blue.

On pupdial, the modem is probed as it seems it can be on /tty/USB0, /tty/USB1 or /tty/USB2 and is then checked to see if puppy can talk to it. You don't have to know any settings, you just click OK a couple times. After that, you type in basically the same ISP specific stuff as you did for the GPRS route. For me, the phone number was *99# (and this seems to be generic, so may be worth a try).

In any event, you've got it going, so bewdy mate, and here's to one less micro$oft vict, err customer :-)

mrbulldog

#30 Post by mrbulldog »

Can anyone help me regarding making HUAWEI Mobile Connect - 3G Modem (3 mobile broadband) work on hard drive install of Puppy Linux 3.01.
It is not hard to set up this thing using a dial up account...that is dead easy in Windoze.
I realize that I need to make puppy recognize the device as a modem, but everything I have seen so far seems to be for puppy 4.2. I do not wish to use puppy 4.2 (no offence meant, but I just don't like puppy 4.2).
Here is some info:
Manufacturer=HUAWEI Technology
Product=HUAWEI Mobile
VendorID=12d1 ProductID=1001 KERNEL-MODULE=usb-storage
If anyone replies to this, and needs more info, I will provide it.

01micko

#31 Post by 01micko »

Hmmm...... mrbulldog,

Largely, all the work for support of 3G modems has been with later model kernels than what is in puppy 3.

I suspect you need the 'option' module. It should be in puppy 3.

Get all the dotpets from this thread http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=37828 (rerwin's 3G thread) and post your results on that thread

Cheers

mrbulldog

#32 Post by mrbulldog »

thanks for replying anyway

kazzamozz

Huawei USB Modems

#33 Post by kazzamozz »

mcalex wrote:
kazzamozz wrote:Also I don't get any connection charges with this method, not sure if ...
... as in no charge to just connect, or no d/load charges?

In any event, you've got it going, so bewdy mate, and here's to one less micro$oft vict, err customer :-)
Hi Mcalex

I should have stated no connection charges and no download charges, until I go over my 5GB limit.

:lol:

Cheers
Kazzamozz

Aitch

#34 Post by Aitch »

mrbulldog

see harpmaster's post here [using fat-free, 3.01 based & muppy]

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=31364

your VendorID=12d1 ProductID=1001 specs show up as Huawei E1552, Huawei K3565/E160, and others

rerwin's thread will probably be the best place to get help

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=315

Aitch :)

kazzamozz

3G Modems Earlier versions of puppy

#35 Post by kazzamozz »

mrbulldog wrote:Can anyone help me regarding making HUAWEI Mobile Connect - 3G Modem (3 mobile broadband) work on hard drive install of Puppy Linux 3.01.
It is not hard to set up this thing using a dial up account...that is dead easy in Windoze.
I realize that I need to make puppy recognize the device as a modem, but everything I have seen so far seems to be for puppy 4.2. I do not wish to use puppy 4.2 (no offence meant, but I just don't like puppy 4.2).
Here is some info:
Manufacturer=HUAWEI Technology
Product=HUAWEI Mobile
VendorID=12d1 ProductID=1001 KERNEL-MODULE=usb-storage
If anyone replies to this, and needs more info, I will provide it.
Hi MrBulldog

I have been able to get my 3G vodafone to work with lots ofl versions of puppy from New years pup, Teenpup with installation of some 3G pets through to current 4.3.1 too many to mention.
I use GPRS connect for this. I have had trouble with the modem dialup but lots of people have had success with this, not me.
Rerwin has been working on this a great deal, so you can do a search and heaps of links will come up, but am not sure which versions of puppy he has got it to work on. If you scroll back through this section you will see how I got mine to work. :)

Anyway I have found GPRS connect works on all flavours of puppy that have a GPRS connect if they haven't most have a pet package for 3G modems. As long as there is a GPRS connect I seem to be able to connect to it. Hope this is beneficial to you.
cheers
Kazzamozz
Last edited by kazzamozz on Mon 21 Dec 2009, 08:52, edited 1 time in total.

driesken

#36 Post by driesken »

Sorry for this old kick, but I can't get this Huawei E220 to work...

I've burned lupu-501 on a DVD, booted from it, and did this command in the console:

modprobe usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x1003

Then I've started PupDial and tried to connect. It starts connecting but the device always seems to cycle between storage/modem.

Is there a proper way to fix this? I can't get it sorted out...

dejan555

#37 Post by dejan555 »

Hi driesken, I'm using the same model E220
On newer puppies with 2.6.30.x kernel and also lupu there's no need for modprobe should be automatically recognized.
You just fire up pgprs-setup (connect icon then choose "Internet by wireless GPRS modem"), enter your details then run pgprs-connect

That's it!
That exact model worked for me on all puppies since 3.x till 5.x the only difference is that on older puppies it needs that modprobe but not on new ones.
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

driesken

#38 Post by driesken »

dejan555 wrote:Hi driesken, I'm using the same model E220
On newer puppies with 2.6.30.x kernel and also lupu there's no need for modprobe should be automatically recognized.
You just fire up pgprs-setup (connect icon then choose "Internet by wireless GPRS modem"), enter your details then run pgprs-connect

That's it!
That exact model worked for me on all puppies since 3.x till 5.x the only difference is that on older puppies it needs that modprobe but not on new ones.
It was supposed to work in newer kernels, but it seems like mine still cycles between storage/modem mode. Maybe you can give me the link to the firmware you have installed onto your E220?

dejan555

#39 Post by dejan555 »

I haven't installed anything, did you try using this pgprs tool instead pupdial, it should work.
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

driesken

#40 Post by driesken »

dejan555 wrote:I haven't installed anything, did you try using this pgprs tool instead pupdial, it should work.
Looks like I'm able to connect, but modem hangs up... I think the cycling (storage/modem mode) still exists. I'm on the latest firmware however...

"Modem hangup. Connection terminated"

What else can I do? I'm also experiencing this under Windows XP..