Which version? Which application? What Content?

Promote Puppy !
Sage

#21 Post by Sage »

Got a couple of freebie laptops here, one with a broken screen, and a spare screen that works but doesn't fit and cannot find the pin outs.
The problem with laptops is that they are extremely difficult to service and modify; case parts tend to break either in use or when components are being replaced. They are invariably full of proprietary parts. I've heard scare stories of quotes of ~

#22 Post by Guest »

Quote:
I feel that version 1.0.7 was lifted out of beta status way too soon

i made SP107 ... bugfixes for Puppy 1.0.7 ... and so far all i have found to put in it is:

1) uncomment the RealPlayer codec path in the gxine config file

2) some of the default wrapper files had $@ instead of "$@"

3) MU's clock setter program was broken because of the differences in the new version of Busybox

other than that, i haven't found any other bugs to fix in SP107
What I wonder, is why isnt a version 1.07.f ( for fixed ) released ? There some discussion about the people with "only" dial up and that is fairenough. However if the distro was stable and well beta tested then you would only need to do the one dload, rather than getting the patches or each new version in the hope that the bugs were fixed.

The same applies to xvesa or xorg. My system is an old PII 400, not new, not flash, my eyes are not as good as they used to be and I find it very hard to read a crt display so I have an lcd ( or should that be a lcd ? an sounds better ) xvesa wont work, the frequencies are out of range xorg lets me adjust them and so works fine. So if a new version came with xorg I could dload it as one iso install it and be happy rather than getting the main .iso, then xorg, then the patches.

The other thing is, if dialup is to slow for you, buy the cd ! and then dload xorg and the patches :-)

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#23 Post by GuestToo »

What I wonder, is why isnt a version 1.07.f ( for fixed ) released ? ... rather than getting the patches or each new version in the hope that the bugs were fixed
the point is ... these bugfixes are very minor and the bugfix package is very small (tiny ... it would take almost no time to download using the slowest dialup connection)

also, Busybox was updated to a newer version, and it would not be at all surprising to find a few problems and incompatiblilties

given that these 3 very minor bugs are all i have found to put in my bugfix patch, i think the statement version 1.0.7 was lifted out of beta status way too soon is a bit extreme

Pizzasgood

#24 Post by Pizzasgood »

Does this statement hint or imply that EmtpyCrust will include a set of command line pupget package management tools? For systems where Kdrive does not work, a user without Xorg would (I think!) be unable to use a GUI tool to download Xorg and add it to their remastered "NotQuiteSoEmptyCrust" CD Smile So command line tools for this would be needed, as far as I can see.
I'm contemplating what I'm going to do. I may remove Xorg and try to find a compromize, or I might take out Xvesa, or I might leave them in. Or, I might get fed up and tear out everyting GUI.

I'll probably go for the first or third option though ;)
given that these 3 very minor bugs are all i have found to put in my bugfix patch, i think the statement version 1.0.7 was lifted out of beta status way too soon is a bit extreme
As far as I can tell, 1.0.7 was one of the most stable/bugfree Puppies in a good bit.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

ICPUG

#25 Post by ICPUG »

Here's my take on whether x-org should be in the base package.

I perservered with Puppy on my old desktop because the concept was SO GOOD. However, it never worked properly and I spent much time wondering whether it WAS working properly, but I just didn't understand how to use it.

With the advent of x-org I can actually use Puppy on my desktop. Take x-org away and I would be unhappy. I am sure taking xvesa away would make others unhappy. We need both, like in 1.0.7, to gain maximum penetration of Puppy use.

Saying you can always use dotpup or whatever to get x-org is not a good argument. First - if Puppy is not working properly under xvesa how are you going to get a dotpup and install it? Second - it requires a bit of experience to use dotpup/pupget. Even the simplest things are difficult for newbies. Once you stop being a newbie it is hard to remember what it was like!

I use pay as you go dialup at home. Whether it is a 40MB or 60MB distro doesn't matter. It is too big. I use my work PC to download Puppy. I buy a CD from somewhere for the 600-700 MB distros.

I think Puppy has truly come of age with 1.0.7. Barry's concept of taking the next revolutionary step with 2.0 seems right to me and leaving 1.0.7, or maybe a 1.0.8 bugfix, for use on old hardware seems perfect.

By all means create your own built to requirement Puppy, but do not remove x-org from the base package just because it is no use to you.

ICPUG