A Tale of Woe for 2 XAMPPs and Puppy 4.2

Please post any bugs you have found
mwestlund

A Tale of Woe for 2 XAMPPs and Puppy 4.2

#1 Post by mwestlund »

I use XAMPP all the time for more then 5 years on Linux, Mac, and Win. I do a lot of Web development with PHP/XML.. XAMPP has worked great through Puppy 4.12. I recently upgraded to Puppy 4.2 and things went fine. I had deleted my .sock file and wen to re-install XAMPP 1.7. It started just fine. PROBLEM! I get permission error to access the server root.

I have found many posts on this issue on the forum. I tried them all. Changing the permissions to 755, 777, owner to nobody and root, and many other things. No go.

I tried installing a fresh copy of XAMPP 1.7 on a fresh copy of Puppy 4.2 and guess what. No go. Maybe Puppy 4.2 can no longer supports XAMPP to allow for permissions. My theory is when I upgraded from 4.12 ti 4.2, the old permissions were inherited. Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated! -Mark

growler

Easy LAMP Solution

#2 Post by growler »

I rolled a pet package that includes mysql and php running as a fast CGI daemon with hiawatha and phpMyAdmin. All works well and is a relatively small download compared to XAMPP.

See
http://www.puppylinux.org/?q=wiki/softw ... h-hiawatha

tlchost

Re: A Tale of Woe for 2 XAMPPs and Puppy 4.2

#3 Post by tlchost »

mwestlund wrote:I use XAMPP all the time for more then 5 years on Linux, Mac, and Win. I do a lot of Web development with PHP/XML.. XAMPP has worked great through Puppy 4.12. I recently upgraded to Puppy 4.2 and things went fine. I had deleted my .sock file and wen to re-install XAMPP 1.7. It started just fine. PROBLEM! I get permission error to access the server root.
XAMPP seems to be a disaster with Puppy. Look for growler-amp_412.sfs ... it works with ChoicePup....sorta, kinda You can access the document root, but I have yet to get virtual hosts to work.

Do you "need" Apache for development work? I do, do the Hiawatha flavors do me no good.[/quote]

Thom

mwestlund

#4 Post by mwestlund »

Thanks for great feedback. I do need PHP/XML/XSLT/MySQL support. I link XAMPP since I use Linux/Win/Mac on a daily basis. Puppy on my Eee. Does growler-amp_412.sfs or hiawatha support XML? -Mark

mwestlund

#5 Post by mwestlund »

I installed the hiawatha .pet. I ran just fine. One *BIG* problem for me is that the XsltProcessor can not be found. 90% of what I do is work with XML/XSLT. I need the XsltProcessor. Any suggestions on how I could get it loaded would be greatly appreciated. I am not familiar how .pet are put together. -Mark

growler

XSL

#6 Post by growler »

I read on the PHP manual that PHP needs to be compiled with a flag set

Installation

PHP 5 includes the XSL extension by default and can be enabled by adding the argument --with-xsl[=DIR] to your configure line. DIR is the libxslt installation directory.
Next time I roll up a PHP I will add this too. Looks like my pet will not meet your needs in the short term - you will need to recompile php

mwestlund

#7 Post by mwestlund »

Thanks growler for the update. I would be eternally grateful to you if you could put XSLT support in your .pet. Many thanks. -Mark

mwestlund

XSLT working!

#8 Post by mwestlund »

Thanks tlchost for the growler-amp_412.sfs suggestion. I finally had time to try it an it appears to be working fine and appears to be executing my XSLT OK including DOM write backs. Awesome! Thanks again growler for all your assistance too. I love Puppy. -Mark

tlchost

Re: XSLT working!

#9 Post by tlchost »

mwestlund wrote:Thanks tlchost for the growler-amp_412.sfs suggestion. I finally had time to try it an it appears to be working fine a appears to be executing my XSLT OK including DOM write backs.
Great....glad it worked. I am in the midst of documenting what I did to get virtual hosts working with a bootable usb drive.

I'm stumped on how to move phpMyAdmin out of htdocs and have it in another location...It has to be a configuration issue. My goal is to have
all my sites on the usb drive.

Thom

mwestlund

#10 Post by mwestlund »

I had similar issue. I did *NOT* want my scripts and other file in the Puppy Save for lots of reasons. I make a symbolic link in htdocs to another location of my choosing. It appears to be working fine. Thanks again for a great solution. Do you do much with XML/XSLT? -Mark

growler

#11 Post by growler »

Thanks growler for the update. I would be eternally grateful to you if you could put XSLT support in your .pet. Many thanks. -Mark
All done... I re-rolled it with the latest:

mysql 5.1.34
php 5.2.9
hiawatha 6.14
phpMyAdmin 3.1.5

I modified the compile options to enable xsl - from phpinfo()
XSL enabled
libxslt Version 1.1.22
libxslt compiled against libxml Version 2.6.30
EXSLT enabled
libexslt Version 1.1.22
See http://www.weberp.org/PuppyLinux for explanations/rationale and download link

mwestlund

#12 Post by mwestlund »

Thanks growler! Awesome job! XML/XSLT works grrreat! Many thanks. -Mark

raffy

URL

#13 Post by raffy »

Just giving here the URL of growler-amp_412.sfs

http://minipc.org/lamp/

It has Apache, MySQL and PHP. Renumber the sfs according to your Puppy 4xx version.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

mwestlund

#14 Post by mwestlund »

Thanks raffy! Both of these efforts are great! They help move Puppy closer to the mainstream where work can be done and ideas made. You guys are great and help make the Puppy community better for it. Cheers! -Mark

mwestlund

Connection issues with growler-amp_412.sfs on Puppy 4.2

#15 Post by mwestlund »

I have got growler-amp_412.sfs working fine on three installations of Puppy 4.12. Awesome! I just installed Puppy 4.2 on a new laptop and having 'Fail to Connect, connection refused' message when I try to access localhost. I did change the name to growler-amp_420.sfs for the Boot Config. I know it is installed, I can see all the components, I can run PHP scripts from /usr/bin/php and can ping localhost as well.

Any ideas on what I can do to make growler-amp_412.sfs run on Puppy 4.2 would be greatly appreciated. (Again :) ) Many thanks. -Mark