Puppy Jaunty Alpha 6 Bugs

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
tronkel

#81 Post by tronkel »

@mawebb88

On thinking about it, I loaded the latest uPup ISO with the full driver set onto the Asus 901 (booting from usb).

A wonder if it's worth a go. You can get the full drivers version from ibiblio. You can also get the sfs from there which does the same thing.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

lwill

#82 Post by lwill »

Not sure if I saw any of these yet:

no mouse scroll wheel - wireless ps/2 mouse - I think this was mentioned earlier - I haven't looked if there is a fix yet

ditto sound disappears after reboot

passwd command does not work - passwd: pam_start() failed, error 26

there is no "groups" command ( http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/cmd/cmd ... h=g/groups ) - could not find what it is part of to install or build it

In PPM, zenity_2.26.0 (had to do a search for zenity) tries to install libnotify1-gtk2.10(??) - Error, failed to downlad zenity_2.26.0-0unbutu1_i386.deb - yet ppm acts like it installed it and checks dependencies any way - I manually downloaded zenity_2.26.0-0unbutu2_i386.deb and let PPM install it - not very familiar with unbuntu/debian was this correct version?

Out of curiosity I tried to install "mythtv-frontend_0.21.0+fixes19961" using PPM (I have a back end running on a Fedora box), this is how I found the previous errors.
It uses the "group" command to see if the user is part of the group mythtv which I was able to get around by bypassing the check in it's start up script. I didn't really expect it to run (it crashes with a segmentation fault). I may have a miss match in the front end / back end versions. My problem, not Puppies. I have however built everything by hand on puppy in the past and was able to run it.

Also mythtv-frontend has a HUGE list of dependencies, when PPM finished it could not display them all on one page and it doesn't scroll.
When finished, on the PPM main page in the list of Installed packages, there are 3 blank lines between libqt3-mt-mysql and libcelt?
zenity does not show up in Installed packages.

Machine info: Via K8M800, Sempron 3400+, 709MB RAM, frugal install upup-466-FULL_DRIVER /w devx, 512MB save file

I hope this is useful info,
Lyle

mawebb88

EeePC901 still no wifi with upup-466 (I GIVE IN)

#83 Post by mawebb88 »

tronkel wrote:@mawebb88

On thinking about it, I loaded the latest uPup ISO with the full driver set onto the Asus 901 (booting from usb).

A wonder if it's worth a go. You can get the full drivers version from ibiblio. You can also get the sfs from there which does the same thing.
Hi tronkel
Thanks for your suggestion but still no joy. Tried both using the full drivers iso and just adding the z----.sfs file to the straight iso (gives the same frugal setuo). Searched both with Pfnd and there is still no rt2860sta.ko module to load.

What on earh am I doing wrong? Heaven knows. I think I will give up but in any case thanks again for your help.
Rgds Mike

tronkel

#84 Post by tronkel »

Mike wrote:
What on earth am I doing wrong?
Are you running from a frugal install using a pup_save?
Try running Puppy with no pup_save by using the boot cheat code:

puppy pfix=ram.

Did you have a previous pup_save from a 4 series install that worked with wireless? You could try copying over the driver you need from there and see if it runs in uPup. Could be though that the previous driver that worked OK for 4 series may not in fact work in uPup.
A recompile of the driver might be necessary here.

It didn't seem to affect my install, but them mine uses the ath5k driver. Asus could have supplied various wlan cards for the 901 series. Do you know which card you have?

mawebb88

EeePC901 still no wifi with upup-466 (I GIVE IN)

#85 Post by mawebb88 »

tronkel wrote:Mike wrote:
What on earth am I doing wrong?
Are you running from a frugal install using a pup_save?
Try running Puppy with no pup_save by using the boot cheat code:

puppy pfix=ram.

Did you have a previous pup_save from a 4 series install that worked with wireless? You could try copying over the driver you need from there and see if it runs in uPup. Could be though that the previous driver that worked OK for 4 series may not in fact work in uPup.
A recompile of the driver might be necessary here.
I started with no save file as I guessed an upgrade was not possible (different kernel etc). I had considered copying the driver over from my working 4.1.2 but thought that would be a waste of time given again the different kernel..

Rgds Mike

dawnsboy

#86 Post by dawnsboy »

tronkel wrote:
For some reason, on the Asus eeepc, the main menu icons seem to have gone awol. I noticed this with previous uPups as well. Not sure if this has been mentioned previously somewhere.
I can confirm this is also the case on my Eeepc 701. Additonally, the desktop seems to have a slightly stretched look. I double checked the screen resolution and have the typical 800x480 24 configured for xorg.

I am delighted to report that wireless works out of the box!

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#87 Post by Béèm »

Iwill wrote:no mouse scroll wheel - wireless ps/2 mouse - I think this was mentioned earlier - I haven't looked if there is a fix yet
You can edit /etc/mousdevice and change psaux in input/mice
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

iarda

bugs bugs

#88 Post by iarda »

selecting USB mouse is working fine for me, but my mouse is physically PS2 connected.

pnetthooh through samba does'nt match any sharing folder (I have many sharings in the intranet!).

Alpha 6 is really fasssttttttttttt
go for it!

Martin

Re: bugs bugs

#89 Post by Martin »

iarda wrote:pnetthooh through samba does'nt match any sharing folder (I have many sharings in the intranet!).
Same here. Computers are detected though.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#90 Post by Lobster »

I am delighted to report that wireless works out of the box!
I will give it another go. No luck so far with wireless but the atheros driver seems to be there . . .
Noticed the missing icons on the Eeepc. Didn't miss them to be honest. I like the minimalist grey desktop too. :)
I installed to USB then using ctrl + esc (it may just be esc) I was able to boot from USB thumb drive.

Xorg worked fine on the Eeepc, much faster than my main machine.

Then using the Universal installer I was able to transfer Puppy to an SD card and boot from that. This is labeled as USB SDC1.
I am very pleased to be booting from that SD card. Bought it months ago for Puppy.
OK back to the wireless tweaking for me . . .

Oh . . . one surprising fact about Alpha 6
I am using it for my day to day Puppy use (not recommended for any but the terminally geeky)
Looking forward to Alpha 7 (a few days away)

Puppy is Jaunty
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

tronkel

#91 Post by tronkel »

Lobster wrote:
Oh . . . one surprising fact about Alpha 6
I am using it for my day to day Puppy use (not recommended for any but the terminally geeky)
As you say, not recommended for newbies - but it's fun anyway.
On my PC it does everything now that real Jaunty does, but even faster.

Some of the Jaunty stuff does not run first-time even although Package Manager reports no missing dependencies.

e.g. I've just installed claws-mail with gpg encryption. It had to copy over libcurl-gnutils.so.4 from my real Jaunty installation to get Claws to run. Even worse for Clamav. I had to configure all of the configuration files manually from the console. Package Manager seems to ignore post-install scripts that real Janunty uses to set up a lot of applications. Over time, a listing of these problems should be recorded so that they can be sorted out gradually.

Highly advisable:
The first thing to do after having installed Jaunty uPup is to do a package listings updtate from Package Manager. This takes ages, but is necessary to ensure that all required dependencies are actually located and downloaded. This will greatly improve your success rate with installing Jaunty packages.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#92 Post by Lobster »

The Atheros driver for the Eeepc works as reported and now confirmed. I think I was out of wi-fi range . . .

Thanks for reminding on updates Tronkel
Have you been tempted by Genie programming yet?

Also I know you are a great one for compiling
Ttuuxxx recently asked about a list for 5.xx
Jay (pupluvr) too . .

What are the priorities for 5.xx compiling extras?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Martin

#93 Post by Martin »

tronkel wrote:
Over time, a listing of these problems should be recorded so that they can be sorted out gradually.
Yep, this is something I really miss. There's no easy overview of reported (and/or confirmed) bugs.

ttuuxxx

#94 Post by ttuuxxx »

Lobster wrote: Also I know you are a great one for compiling
Ttuuxxx recently asked about a list for 5.xx
Jay (pupluvr) too . .

What are the priorities for 5.xx compiling extras?
Well I've been working on the mime problem with rox2.8, I recompiled it and then fixed the issues, but then I had a look at the mimes that came with it and that puppy used in 4 series and well, They were over sized, very dated etc, so for the past 4 days I've been sorting out mimes with system links and rox issues, puppy default is about 104 mimes including system links, when I combined the latest rox with puppy's mimes it was well over 200 mimes So that takes a while to sort. Almost done :)
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Jim1911

#95 Post by Jim1911 »

upup 466 is working great, can hardly wait for later editions.

Success in installing these extras from the ubuntu repositories: Bibletime, Firefox, Thunderbird, Pidgin, and Searchmonkey. From forum: missingKDE3510libs.pet (required for Bibletime), opera10_qt450-i486-4205.pet, firmware_k2.6.29.1smp.pet(required to detect network for Intel Pro 100M Integrated PCI NIC Card)

Unsuccessful from ubuntu repositories: Nautilus, Dolphin, java, and Openoffice

Installed programs not working properly.
1. Xsane cannot recognize HP Photosmart all-in-one 5280 usb printer which installed with a proper driver with CUPS.
2. Pmount cannot mount an existing ext4 partition.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Deprecated config filr /etc/modprobe.sonf

#96 Post by Béèm »

Code: Select all

WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, all config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d/.
WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, all config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d/.
I don't know when exactly it started to get this message at boot.
I don't have /etc/modprobe.d/ but the system seems to run ok.
Time savers:

tubby

warnings

#97 Post by tubby »

My warnings popped up after i installed some apps with download manager. Check dependencies on installed packages.

Béèm

Re: warnings

#98 Post by Béèm »

tubby wrote:My warnings popped up after i installed some apps with download manager. Check dependencies on installed packages.
Could well be the case here as well.
However, I can't check the dependencies as the installed package list goes way beyond the screen.
Time savers:

ecomoney

Firefox install error

#99 Post by ecomoney »

I tried installing firefox from the "install" icon on the desktop, and got the following errors (screenshot). Errors are about libxul and GRE.

Good work on the mimes Ttuuxxx, that has always been an issue (remember .mp4!)
Attachments
firefoxbugupup.jpg
(143.73 KiB) Downloaded 382 times
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

tubby

bootsysinit

#100 Post by tubby »

My bootsysinit.log is very long and filled with mainly ignored bad config lines, would other users check theirs to see what errors are being thrown up?.
I have made a folder in etc and named it modprobe.d moved all .conf files from etc to the new folder and all seems to be ok so far.