Puppy Jaunty Alpha 6 Bugs

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
musher0

#41 Post by musher0 »

Interesting... Or more properly, should I say tough emotionally for you, a icewm lover? (:-) Poor ttuuxxx. Do you have Emotions Anonymous groups in Australia? (:-)

Why are we getting interested in Ubuntu repositories again ? (:-)
Answer: we're masochists!

---------
I find aemenu from the aewm utilities so useful because:

* it's wm independent. You're free to do your thing even if the default menus don't react properly in your language or typeset or whatever.

* no UTF8 / ISO 8859-1 confusion. You compose your menu once and that's it.

* Now what I need to do is imitate what I-forgot-his-name did for the fbpanel under Puppy. He composed a script with lots of greps and cut-this-and-that , applied it to the jwm menu and came up with a suitable fbpanel menu.

Until now, for me, reading his script is like reading klingon, but I think I'll have to learn this 'language'. Nobody else will do it or seems to know what the needs are for Canadian French.

Anybody willing to provoke me into doing it? I mean a NICE insult. (:-) Not enough to really offend me, but just enough to give me a kick in the b...

TTYL.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

musher0

#42 Post by musher0 »

> Maybe its a hal thing, I'll look into it.
> ttuuxxx

Hal: Do you mean the computer in the Stanley Kubrick movie? (:-)
Yeah, he was nasty.

TTYL.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

ttuuxxx

#43 Post by ttuuxxx »

musher0 wrote:> Maybe its a hal thing, I'll look into it.
> ttuuxxx

Hal: Do you mean the computer in the Stanley Kubrick movie? (:-)
Yeah, he was nasty.

TTYL.
Ya the was a good classic movie :) and no not HAL but H.A.L
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardware_abstraction_layer
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

musher0

#44 Post by musher0 »

@ttuxxx

I think my mind is getting partially in sync with yours.

I zoomed in on the icewm info panel you provided.
(Please see attached.) and I had a ha-ha experience.

Maybe we could invite Marko and Mathias for coffee
and discuss the utf8 / iso-8859-1 problem. Why should
you have to redo the icewm code if it's not your fault?
You obviously like coding, but it's a lot of work still.

Or maybe this old newbie is missing something.

BFN
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Nathan F

#45 Post by Nathan F »

Also ran into the disappearing sound after reboot bug. Ran alsamixer and raised faders to no effect. Ran alsawizard and now have sound back. Card is HDA-Intel.

Not happy with dependency tracking in the package manager. Tried to install gtkpod, missing libs. Gave up and compiled from source. In fact, went to source for everything so far, much happier.

Also can't get touchpad tapping to work. Synaptics touchpad.

Running quite speedy and looks good overall. May become my default system with a few tweaks.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Ledster

#46 Post by Ledster »

My first look at Woof (alpha 6 using upup-466-FULL_DRIVERS.iso, md5sum checked) - bad news, I'm afraid.

Booted puppy pfix=ram, chose xorg and whole machine locked up. Black screen - nothing whatever. Ctrl/alt/bkspace no effect even when repeated.
This is on my old faithful which runs xorg in every puppy I have tried (many!) from 2.0 to 4.2. Details of pc below.

Runs ok with xvesa, but does not see my two hard drives. Pmount does, but shuts down if I ask it to mount one.

So tried to shut down and get a save file, but shut down, reboot and exit to prompt just restart the xserver. Had to hit the reset button.

Any suggestions for something to try?

I tried several times and always had the above results.
Now waiting for alpha 7 (or beta).

Ledster
Asus A7V8X-X mobo, Athlon XP 2500+ Barton core, 1 gig memory, Geforce 2 MX400 graphics card with 32 meg memory, 2 X 80 gig hard drives & dvd drive.

mattst8ler

#47 Post by mattst8ler »

tasmod wrote:Unable to test it :(

Loads to menu, type puppy pfix=ram on keyboard. This is accepted, then continues to mouse selection. At this point the keyboard no longer works, so I am unable to progress further.

It's a wireless keyboard but it has never been an issue before. Odd that it accepts it at boot menu but not after during setting default mouse. :( :(
Same problem here, tasmod. It remains stuck at the mouse selection screen. Please let me know if you find a fix.
[color=black][b]Lets Go Pens![/b][/color]

rhadon

#48 Post by rhadon »

Ledster wrote:My first look at Woof (alpha 6 using upup-466-FULL_DRIVERS.iso, md5sum checked) - bad news, I'm afraid.
Booted puppy pfix=ram, chose xorg and whole machine locked up. Black screen - nothing whatever.
Same problem, so I installed upup-466.iso and it works fine.

Retrospective I think, maybe zu466291.sfs was in the wrong directory (should be in /mnt/home instead of the subfolder where vmlinuz, initrd.gz and my pupsave were)?

Rolf
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Wireless keyboard and mouse.

#49 Post by Béèm »

Just a couple of minutes ago I went through a panic session. No keyboard any more but the mouse ok. (all wireless)
I tries all kind of things, like resetting the batteries, retuning the channel etc, but to no avail. And this at midnight wasn't a pleasant feeling.
So I powered off the PC and waited a bit.

After power on, I did the tunig of the channel for mouse and keyboard again. To my relieve, all is working again.
And this is not the first time I go into such a scenario.

Hope this helps.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

trapster

#50 Post by trapster »

Code: Select all

# alsamixer

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device
# 
Never had a sound issue with any pup starting at 103
alsa wizard finds:
maestro3 ESS Technology ES1988 Allegro-1 (Rev 12)
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

panzerpuppy

#51 Post by panzerpuppy »

Ledster wrote:My first look at Woof (alpha 6 using upup-466-FULL_DRIVERS.iso, md5sum checked) - bad news, I'm afraid.

Booted puppy pfix=ram, chose xorg and whole machine locked up. Black screen - nothing whatever. Ctrl/alt/bkspace no effect even when repeated.
This is on my old faithful which runs xorg in every puppy I have tried (many!) from 2.0 to 4.2. Details of pc below.

Runs ok with xvesa, but does not see my two hard drives. Pmount does, but shuts down if I ask it to mount one.

So tried to shut down and get a save file, but shut down, reboot and exit to prompt just restart the xserver. Had to hit the reset button.

Any suggestions for something to try?

I tried several times and always had the above results.
Now waiting for alpha 7 (or beta).

Ledster
Asus A7V8X-X mobo, Athlon XP 2500+ Barton core, 1 gig memory, Geforce 2 MX400 graphics card with 32 meg memory, 2 X 80 gig hard drives & dvd drive.

Same issues when using Xvesa:

- The drive icons do not appear on screen

- freememapplet loads, but doesn't show up in the tray (there's an empty space).

- Pmount fails to mount anything after mounting and unmounting a drive once. It just closes without a warning or error message.

- Reboot doesn't work. Upup does a Xserver restart when I select the 'reboot' option or exit to the commandline (hard reboot necessary)

- Zfind - searching doesn't work.
Last edited by panzerpuppy on Sun 03 May 2009, 00:22, edited 2 times in total.

panzerpuppy

#52 Post by panzerpuppy »

tronkel wrote:A couple of problems with the package manager.

On updating the package lists via the update button - after a rather slow processing stage (conversion to the standard package format), the package manager seems to lose the Jaunty repositories leaving only the Woof and Puppy repos visible after conversion has been completed.

These have to be manually restored in the updater with a possible maximum of 5 repos selected.
Really nasty bug. It was there in Alpha 5 as well.

tronkel

#53 Post by tronkel »

Just like Nathan said, I'm thinking about making it my main distro.

First another bug report.

I used this Jaunty system all day yesterday - mostly with Seamonkey and kinda thought that the whole system was gradually getting slower and slower as compared with the fresh install. Left it switched on all night. In the morning it definitely seems even more sluggish. Memory leakage in Seamonkey?

For entertainment, I installed Gnome-Games via the package manager. Little problem with the card games. Mahjong complains about a missing png but works anyway. All the other card games seem OK. Gnuchess is problematical, but eventually got it working with xboard.

@TTuuxxx: any chance of a pet or sfs for this Gnome games package?. This would be handier than installing from the Package manager and might work in non-Woof versions.

Claws and all the plug ins installed but missing one library which I found on the net and now works OK.

Is GNUPG installed as standard in Jaunty Upuptu maybe for access to repos? I was surprised to see it there. that's why I'm asking - or did it get installed along with something that I installed later? Anyway, it works and works fine via Claws.

Edit:

Seems like a good idea to do a package list update from Package Manager as soon as the Jaunty system is installed as frugal say. I experienced much less trouble with downloading and installing new packages and their dependencies after doing this.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

ttuuxxx

#54 Post by ttuuxxx »

tronkel wrote: @TTuuxxx: any chance of a pet or sfs for this Gnome games package?. This would be handier than installing from the Package manager and might work in non-Woof versions.
If I stick with Upup I'll do it but will see in the future how this worksout first, before doing such are large scale sfs like that one. I'm still more partial to Dpup, almost like we might have to join forces in Dpup tronkel, I'll give Upup another couple of days and then see what the latest Dpup is like, the last one I was was working on was alpha 3, any new improvements on it? I didn't see any notes.
ttuuxxx

Keef

#55 Post by Keef »

Same results as with Alpha 5.
Ran ok on a Dell 610 laptop, but could not establish a WPA connection.
(Netgear WG111T usb dongle via ndiswrapper - works perfectly with ChoicePup, and older puplets: 3.01, 2.14R)

I like the theme (not that I'm too obsessed with looks), but for some reason, 'File-sharing' using a different style icon. Definitely a show-stopper!!!

On the Armada 3500 it is still a bit of a car crash. Won't recognise graphics card using Xorg (never been a problem before).
Drive icons disappear after changing resolution.
Same problems as panzerpuppy with pmount - it doesn't!

On first boot, keyboard select takes about 50 seconds.

Armada 3500
PII 300mhz
192MB
CT 69000 graphics
Frugal install on internal CF card

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#56 Post by Lobster »

Two pieces of good news Valide (for Genie and Vala programming) works well in Alpha 6 and I got Xaralx working from the Ubuntu depositories. :D

I downloaded Xaralx and there was a problem with dependencies
In fact I was confused by the conflicting messages in the picture below . . . (incidentally I am using the 4.2 wallpaper if you were wondering)
but using the 'check dependencies installed' under setup
Alpha 6 found missing libraries and downloaded them.
XaraLX can be awkward to get running - so I was pleased . . .
Normally I use an sfs which has the dependencies but
as I have reported neither Xaralx or Openoffice sfs, which I seem to remember did work in Alpha5, were being found . . .

This as far as I understand it, is the point of Woof
To use the updated package depositories maintained by big penguins

So proof of concept is turning into reality :)

Woof woof 8)
Attachments
xara1.jpg
(47.72 KiB) Downloaded 843 times
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

tronkel

#57 Post by tronkel »

Lobster wrote:
This as far as I understand it, is the point of Woof
To use the updated package depositories maintained by big penguins

As you say Lobster, the messages sometimes conflict. Yours was a classic example - no missing dependencies found by Package Manager, yet an error in console startup.

But as you have also discovered, we now get access to stuff that was difficult to install into Puppy previously - so that is substantial progress as well. Doesn't always succeed, but it will improve as improvements get implemented. I'd love to get apt-get and Synaptic working - that would improve the success rate with package installations.

BTW try a package list update from within the package manager itself. It is a slow job but worth it, since the hit rate on downloaded packages seems to improve.

ttuuxxx

#58 Post by ttuuxxx »

I spent a few hours on Rox and mimes etc, anyways to make a long story short, I have the latest 2.8 rox working 100% and then some, lol I'll upload it in a couple of hours when I'm finished testing it.

PS Barry I compiled Firefox without hal and dbus and the same errors occurred I'll try again in a bit after Rox is finished.
ttuuxxx

tronkel

#59 Post by tronkel »

Ttuuxxx wrote:
I'm still more partial to Dpup
Just been playing with uPup overnight. Starts off just as fast as dPup but speed seems to degrade with time, say if the computer is left on overnight.

So we'll see what happens when the Woof 7 build tarball gets uploaded. Hopefully I can build a good dPup with that and then do a comparison with uPup.

Normally the real Debian is faster than the real Ubuntu, but this difference is less noticeable with the latest Jaunty. This speed difference could find its way into the Woof Pups though as well. but the reasons for this might be hard to establish (should speed differences actually appear in the Woof Pups).

So needs more comparison testing. I'll give you a shout after I get dPup sorted and we could then think about doing a nice puplet using that.

How is the Firefox compile going? Might need that soon. I had a go at installing Iceweasel into uPup - just for laugh. It actually ran for a bit but then seemed to destroy the Xorg system completely - LOL

My wife is saying - "have you messed up your system yet again????"
Then walks off shaking her head in despair. I think she thinks I'm nuts! :roll:

edit:

That seems to be another advantage of dPup. You can install Iceweasel directly from the Lenny repo and it seems to run extremely fast. Should you not manage to compile Firefox, Iceweasel would be OK as well.

Martin

Pnethood & samba shares

#60 Post by Martin »

Hi all,

can anyone confirm the issue I encountered using Pnethood? Setting up the network is no problem, but Pnethood only finds the (XP) computers on the network. Not the shares.

Machine is a factory standard Compaq D510.

thx,
Martin