Puppy & Gentoo

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
mysticmarks

gentoo and puppy

#141 Post by mysticmarks »

ignore

xant

#142 Post by xant »

Hello,

Good to hear that. :)

xant

xant

Happy new year ;-)

#143 Post by xant »

Hello,

I'm just wondering, anyone out there still? :D

Cheers:
xant

Leachim

Simplux development restarted

#144 Post by Leachim »

I now have a first usable version of the new Simplicity compiler that will be used in the upcoming Simplux version. Today I started the development based on the new 2.6.29 kernel.

A first public version will be released before the end of May. Future development will be more continuous than in the past! I postponed the development of Simplux for nearly a year while writing the new Simplicity compiler - which will be used for all Simplux scripts.

xant

welcome back

#145 Post by xant »

Hello,

Good to hear that. Simplux despite the name has a great potential. But it's extremely outdated in sense of software and hardware support.

I can hardly wait the reborn of it. :)

Cheers:
xant

ARAN

#146 Post by ARAN »

Hello Leachim.

Is it possible to run Simplux on some powerfull Mobile Phones like the Sony Erricsson Xperia X1 that is based on ARM CPU ?

If yes what are the needed steps for doing this ?
I would like to test Simplux on this powerfull Phone.

It exist allready howtos for Debian for such Phones !
http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.ph ... x20.Debian

Do you have some Step by Step install instruction for porting/compiling Simplux for other Architectures ?

Leachim

#147 Post by Leachim »

@xant:

The new Simplux version is currently based on the 2.6.29.1 kernel and xorg 1.5. All software packages are up to date (to Gentoo standards ...)

It now supports new (network) hardware used in actual netbooks. Yesterday my students made some first tests (with my own pen-drive). I will release a version for my students in a week or two. The "final alpha" (^^) will be out sometime in May. I hope to update my homepage until then.

Simplux now uses a PAE-aware kernel and can therefor use up to 64GB of RAM.

@ARAN: Sorry, Simplux supports only x86-32.

Leachim

nilfs

#148 Post by Leachim »

Today I tested btrfs and nilfs as a replacement for a union file system for a pen drive based Linux.

btrfs failed completely. The system lost responsiveness. The creation of an empty directory took about one minute! btrfs seems to reorganize its disk structure on every simple operation.

nilfs on the opposite was a big surprise! It seems to make its write accesses in a flash-compliant way. I used a 2.6.30rc4 kernel for testing.

I will continue testing during the next week. If no unexpected problems arive I will consider switching Simplux to a nilfs based distribution.

Leaving the union file system approach will make lots of things easier. The only drawback is the need for a completely new installer and a new backup solution.

xant

any news?

#149 Post by xant »

;)

steve_s

#150 Post by steve_s »

Oh, wow, just discovered and absorbed this thread...what an amazing project! I'm keeping my eye on it and just want to say: wow!

Gentoo was the first linux I learned and, although it was a forceful learning experience, I did enjoy the whole emerge process...the only 'nix that was even close to as complicated for me to set up was FreeBSD.

But over time I came across the amazing Puppy, and the rest is history...

But to merge the two? Such insanity...I stand in awe and will continue watching this thread... 8)

steve_s

#151 Post by steve_s »

Ok, I know this is on a whole seperate level, but it should be asked: what about woof for Gentoo? Would that help with this project or would that be like a start over? I see that right now Gentoo is not one of the options for it, but perhaps soon? Would that help?

xant

#152 Post by xant »

steve_s wrote:I stand in awe and will continue watching this thread... 8)
You'll need your patience. ;) Have you tried the previous version? If you have like one year old metal (hardware) it's gonna work fine. :)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#153 Post by Lobster »

Have you tried the previous version?
:?:

Have I misunderstood?
Leachim only plans to release this once beta quality is available.
So far nothing has been uploaded?
Last edited by Lobster on Wed 17 Mar 2010, 16:23, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

steve_s

#154 Post by steve_s »

Gotta ask again, as I will periodically: anything new on this?

I just recently installed a Gentoo and it would be interesting to see a livecd the size of and software of Puppy with the emerge capability of Gentoo...just wondering...

steve_s

SIMPLUX

#155 Post by steve_s »

Any of your Gentoo/Puppy enthusiasts tried this one? SIMPLUX Haven't tried it yet but it brags both Gentoo and Puppy traits.

Edit: well, d'uh, Steve! If I had read more of the whole thread I would have known that Simplux is what it had been talking about most of the time; oh, well, that'll teach me.

Looks like development has stalled out; what a drag.... :cry: