Firefox crashes randomly

Using applications, configuring, problems
lotech

Firefox crashes randomly

#1 Post by lotech »

FF 3 keep crashing even with simple non flash web page, I don't know what caused that so I start it in shell, hoping to see some error message, but it did not crash for over an hour, only some minor error message shown, strange !

"Flash Player: Warning: environment variable G_FILENAME_ENCODING is set and is not UTF-8"

Is that Flash causing the crash ?
Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only :wink:

Stevo954

#2 Post by Stevo954 »

I am having the same problem. It seems to be loading slowly since it started crashing too.

lotech

#3 Post by lotech »

I forget to mention I am running Puppy off USB flash this added extra problem, and after some auto update FF keeps saying installing updates everytime restart, I've to do the old trick again to fix it, delete the FF profile let it re-do again !
Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only :wink:

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

I tried FF3 briefly, but there were too many problems. Some of it appeared to be flash-related. There was also the issue of it wanting to download a massive anti-phishing database. So I went back to FF2.

John Doe

Re: Firefox crashes randomly

#5 Post by John Doe »

lotech wrote:Is that Flash causing the crash ?
YES!

Since it's not open source, apparently no one can do anything about it.

Although it seems someone on the seamonkey/firefox team could at least catch the error and dispose of it gracefully instead of letting it crash the whole application.