Puppy & Gentoo

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Leachim

#121 Post by Leachim »

Today some of my students tried the update. All of them who made no mistakes in the update procedure succeeded ...

Yesterday I found a bug in the Simplicity-compiler. A bug fixed version is already available. The yesterday version of stage2-initialization did not start klogd and syslogd - this is also fixed.

There seems to be one bug left: Sound support does not start automatically!

For now just start the alsawizard and everything works fine again.

I now recommend the update procedure!

Future download versions of Simplux will just be snapshots of current versions. I can now change the kernel and everything else without the need of a special update or a new image. So there will be no such thing like an Alpha 3. Instead there will be a continous evolution!

If a new version does not work, you can easily start the previous version, selecting it in the boot-menu.

xant

Full success :-)

#122 Post by xant »

Leachim wrote:Please post success or failure of your trials here
It's working, even on my modified (xfce added) version. The only thing it kills the modifications I made to start xfce4 as the default windowmanager (detailed instructions how to do that are available on the Simplux forum), but I'm sure there is no way to avoid this at this stage.
Kindly ask you to consider introducing a separated "window manager startup" script called as last step of xwin, and find a workaround to protect it against the updates. This would give the flexibility of using different default window manager without loosing the easily update possibility.

Leachim

#123 Post by Leachim »

I want to revice the configuration files during the next weeks. At the end Simplux will be delivered with an empty /root-folder, so updates will not destroy any user defined settings.

The /root-folder and any user directories under /home will then be stored in separate save-files. This will allow to restore the system to an earlier state without losing documents or user specific application settings.

xant

#124 Post by xant »

Leachim wrote:I want to revice the configuration files during the next weeks.
That's awesome, but still not solves my issue with the alternative window manager. ;-) You said I can't convince you about xfce but my suggestion I think is a fair workaround for a win-win situation. :-)

Leachim

#125 Post by Leachim »

The new configuration files will allow for any window-manager! You will be able to overwrite each /etc/config-file with a corresponding /root/.config-file!

To modify the default-configuration, you just have to copy the file from /etc to /root and make the modifications you want! No future update will ever overwrite your changes! I will supply information about recommended updates to such files.

xant

#126 Post by xant »

Leachim wrote:The new configuration files will allow for any window-manager!
Wow, that's brilliant. Can I get it with the update process? Btw, the new initrd script for me hangs at the module library checking at bootup time (can only reset or turn off the machine) so I can load the updated system only with option 1 at boot time. Have you seen my private mail in the topic? (As I received no answer so far...)

Leachim

#127 Post by Leachim »

I had the problem with the hang, too - but only once and was unable to reproduce it.

The hang is not very severe - just press ctrl-c. (The module initialization is done in a separate thread, so if it hangs it does not really hang the system itself.)

As to my knowlegde, I have replied to your personal message.

xant

#128 Post by xant »

Leachim wrote:The hang is not very severe - just press ctrl-c.
Actually must be something different, as nothing releases but the reboot. (I've tried almost all possible key combinations).

Can you try to do to test an upgrade on a clean system? I'll do that also. Maybe my personal file has been damaged. It would be nice if you could post that part of the init script, as I'm afraid I'm not good enough to be able to extract myself.

Update_simplux says I'm fine, so I can't even load the new scripts for window management fixes.

Leachim

#129 Post by Leachim »

One of my students reproduced your problem! It's easy to solve:

* boot an old configuration of Simplux

* remove the symbolic link /lib/modules/2.6.24.4 (don't forget to save this change permanently using merge_ramdisk or a clean shutdown)

Reboot with the current configuration - it should work!

I hope, I'll have some spare time tomorrow to fix some (minor) bugs, including some boot problems.

xant

#130 Post by xant »

Leachim wrote:remove the symbolic link /lib/modules/2.6.24.4
For me it was an actual library (maybe this was the reason, as after reboot, it become a symlink), but it made the trick, thanks.

It seems also that you've changed the machine name with this upgrade again without updating the hosts file. Xfce is extremely conservative on this, kindly ask to fix.

So after these modifications everything is fine, I believe your student well deserved an A. :)

I appreciate the speed of taking care of my issue.

Best regards:
xant

Leachim

#131 Post by Leachim »

I fixed several small bugs and added a tool for manual network-configuration.
xant wrote:Btw, the new initrd script for me hangs at the module library checking at bootup time
There were two errors ...

First, it's not the same whether you try to force a link overwrite (-f option) or if you remove the link and then recreate it. The former does not work, the latter does!

Second, to check whether a link is a link one should not use the glibc-function stat - one should use lstat instead ... ^^

There was a "small litte problem" with sound - the init-script didn't turn the volume on! :P

Shutdown via menu did not work because of missing updates to some configuration files.

Use the following procedure to update (from an already updated version of Simplux):

Code: Select all

update_simplux
rm /cmds/reboot
emerge default_settings
(Attention: the last command might overwrite some of your personal settings - so better save them first.)

To have a look at your boot-log-files or to setup your network manually, just click on the system icon on your desktop.

xant

#132 Post by xant »

Leachim wrote:rm /cmds/reboot
Hello. First of all, thanks for the efforts again, update went smoothly and, I've booted up without any issue. (I haven't emerged the default config yet, and I still need to do some more testing, so I'll report results later.) I just want on encourage uncertains to try it. :-)

The only point I miss, that I couldn't find reboot command in the mentioned folder...

Best Regards:
xant

karim

congrats and questions

#133 Post by karim »

First of all, thanks so much to Leachim for this wonderful distro that seems indeed, as Lobster said, one of the most promising puppy endeavors out there (it's probably already beyond that horizon anyways...). DANKESHEN! (the spelling is probably horrendous, apologies for that...)
I downloaded your iso a couple of days ago, and although I was very impressed with most features - especially the speed at booting and the automation of various configurations -, I still had a couple of issues - wrong X11 resolution and impossible to fix it from the Nvidia menu, ntfs mount that needed replacing of the existing mtab link to /proc/mounts with a real text file (just copy pasted the content from "mounts" and called it "mtab"), shutdown from icewm menu not working, merge to ramdisk not functioning properly.
I knew I would find at least some of the answers inside this thread, but I have kept giving the piority, over the past 2 days, to learning about gentoo and portage, since my Linux experience, almost a year long now, is reduced to Ubuntu and Puppy (hail Barry K!).
I have now finished reading the thread, and just did a system upgrade (by the way, I was perfectly able to do so with 512mb of RAM). I agree with xant that this system update mechanism works very smoothly. It's a real pleasure to see the whole system updated with just that one single and simple command.
The only problem that seems to remain even after the update concerns the merge_ramdisk command. Some of the modifications I introduce during each session are gone after reboot. Especially, I use fstab and rox to mount media, and every time I restart my system, I need to recreate the folders in the /mnt directory because the reboot "disintegrated" them. Any chance you know how to fix this?
On another ground, have you thought about using portato http://portato.origo.ethz.ch/ or himerge http://www.haskell.org/himerge/ as the portage front-end?
One final question for this long post: how to remove packages getting rid of dependencies at the same time? Will it break the system? I have read somewhere that the only recommended way to remove dependencies in Gentoo is with a general command that identifies all orphaned dependency packages but which must only be run right after a system update. Simplux' update being different from Gentoo's, will this same "emerge --depclean" command still work?

Would this be correct / safe in Simplux (adapted from the Gentoo Handbook)?

# update_simplux
# emerge --depclean
# revdep-rebuild

Is there a safe way to remove the dependencies “ad hoc

Leachim

Re: congrats and questions

#134 Post by Leachim »

karim wrote:I still had a couple of issues - wrong X11 resolution and impossible to fix it from the Nvidia menu, ntfs mount that needed replacing of the existing mtab link to /proc/mounts with a real text file (just copy pasted the content from "mounts" and called it "mtab"), shutdown from icewm menu not working,
Alpha 2 had some bugs - most of them should be fixed in the current version.
The only problem that seems to remain even after the update concerns the merge_ramdisk command. Some of the modifications I introduce during each session are gone after reboot. Especially, I use fstab and rox to mount media, and every time I restart my system, I need to recreate the folders in the /mnt directory because the reboot "disintegrated" them. Any chance you know how to fix this?
This really is a feature ... - I prevented files in the /mnt-directory from beeing saved. Why did I do so? Simplux is a portable Linux - it should not remember any details of a specific work place that wouldn't work elsewhere.

Future versions will do a better job in rembering local network settings and similar things. These things must be handled explicitely - as is yet done with multiple X-configurations.
On another ground, have you thought about using portato http://portato.origo.ethz.ch/ or himerge http://www.haskell.org/himerge/ as the portage front-end?
I didn't yet evaluate them - even didn't know about them ...
One final question for this long post: how to remove packages getting rid of dependencies at the same time? Will it break the system? I have read somewhere that the only recommended way to remove dependencies in Gentoo is with a general command that identifies all orphaned dependency packages but which must only be run right after a system update. Simplux' update being different from Gentoo's, will this same "emerge --depclean" command still work? ...
Most Gentoo commands about package management should work as described in the Gentoo manuals.

Problems will arise when installing server-software, because Simplux ignores /etc/init.d!

Also mysql does not to work - maybe problems with file-locking in the complicated aufs-filesystem-layers.

______

Holidays (9 weeks!) are approaching. So I hope to integrate a lot of new features within the next 3 month.

karim

proposals and questions

#135 Post by karim »

have you checked out the http://paludis.pioto.org and http://www.pkgcore.org/trac/pkgcore alternatives to portage?
paludis' most interesting feature is the possibility to remove the automatically installed dependencies when uninstalling a package. With this feature, the issue that I evoked in my last post - as to whether the simplux update system is valid for a safe emerge -- depclean command - would become irrelevant.

I have tried my simplux setup on my desktop PC - I usually work on my laptop - and I was very surprised that there be no network. I work with an ethernet cable which shows as eth0. I tried /etc/rc.d/rc.network restart but it told me the cable was disconnected or the network was down and that I should uncomment line 198 in that same file, which, to my surprise, wasn't commented out.
Would it be possible to have a set of simple gui tools to tweak things around whenever the impressive automatized scripts and processes don't work out of the box? I kind of miss the tiny, nicely crafted Puppy scripts and wizards, especially for networking and for setting the Xserver. Ideally, if Simplux is to be true to its name, we could have a control center / panel which would gather in one single place all administration and maintenance tasks. I humbly ask for such thing, being myself totally incapable of engaging into such endevaour. Maybe that is what you intend with the “system

karim

#136 Post by karim »

would it be possible to adapt the Puppy suspend script that I attach hereby to Simplux? Is there any other option which doesn't entail, like tuxonice and uswsusp, to recompile the kernel?

thanks
Attachments
suspend.tar.gz
suspend script developed by some Puppy Linux fellow (sorry but I don't remember his name)
(684 Bytes) Downloaded 631 times

Leachim

#137 Post by Leachim »

karim wrote:I have tried my simplux setup on my desktop PC - I usually work on my laptop - and I was very surprised that there be no network. I work with an ethernet cable which shows as eth0. I tried /etc/rc.d/rc.network restart ...
The current version of Simplux insists of connection to an DHCP-server for network setup. Future versions will store network settings on a per-PC-base. The system-utility allows right now for manual configuration.

Simplux scripts are simple - they should support any hardware that is supported by the Linux kernel and - for the exception of nVidia and ATI propietary graphic drivers - nothing else.

Currently there is no wizard to install a modem connection. I do not have a modem on any of the PCs I have access to - I do not use WLAN either. So incorporating such scripts will hopefully be done by somebody else ...

All scripts in /etc/rc.d are no longer used by current versions of Simplux. The stage-2-initialization has been moved to /sbin/stage2* (* stands for the version number ).

I do not use Simplux on Notebooks - so I will not write power saving scripts myself. But everybody is invited to do so.

merge_ramdisk will become obsolete very soon, because aufs will be replace by a layered block device driver. For now here is an exception list of directories that are not saved (this is similar to Puppy Linux):

/dev
/mnt
/initrd
/proc
/sys
/tmp

everything in /var with the exception of
* /var/cache
* /var/db
* /var/lib
* /var/www

The whole /etc folder is saved!

Leachim

#138 Post by Leachim »

Today I had the chance to run Simplux on an Eee-PC. It worked out of the box without any manual configuration! Sound, movies everything worked fine!

Only nuisance: the USB-transfers are very slow.

In another project I'm running Windows XP under VirtualBox on Simplux. It's a bit tricky to install but works fine, too.

xant

R.I.P

#139 Post by xant »

Hello,

As simplux forum has been hacked, and deleted also no post here, I assume this project is simply dead.

Please tell me I'm wrong...

Cheers:
xant

Leachim

#140 Post by Leachim »

I closed down the Simplux forum because it was overwhelmed by spam posts. :-(

Currently I work on the new Simplicity compiler and hope to finish the first version supporting the whole language by the end of October. It will surely take another month or two until I have a new set of standard libraries.

One of the reasons I put 100% of my programming capacities onto the Simplicity project is the fact that the current version of Simplux (patched Alpha 2) simply works - at least on all computers I have access to!

The Simplux project is definitely not dead - just sleeping ...

New versions will surely arrive sometimes in the future but do not expect them before the end of this year.