Granule: Flashcard memory program

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
muggins

Granule: Flashcard memory program

#1 Post by muggins »

http://granule.sourceforge.net/
granule is a flashcard program that implements Leitner (by the German psychologist Sebastian Leitner in the 1970s) cardfile methodology for learning new words described in his book So lernt man lernen. Der Weg zum Erfolg. ("Learning to learn. The road to success.")

To run, Menu->Utility->Granule.

The program has minimal help. To learn usage the manual
is available for offline browsing. Also refer to the examples.

N.B. This version seems to run OK only with pup2...(not sure about pup2.17?)
Last edited by muggins on Sun 18 May 2008, 00:29, edited 2 times in total.

gw

#2 Post by gw »

Hello muggins,

Granule seems very interesting, thank you.
But in Muppy 0.8.3, I obtain the following message :
"granule: error while loading shared libraries: libassa-3.5.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"
Is there anywhere this library as a pet package?

Many thanks
--
gw

muggins

#3 Post by muggins »

gw,

Thanks for letting me know. I knew that granule needed libassa, & had it compiled & intended to bundle it with the .pet, but in my haste to upload I forgot!

Anyway, for the eight people that downloaded granule, i've re-uploaded it, with libassa included, if you want to re-download.

cheers.

cf13

#4 Post by cf13 »

Hi muggins,

First of all thanks for answering my request :P

I'm getting this error
(granule:16326): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "xfce",

(granule:16326): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "xfce",

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'Glib::FileError'
I'm running a full hard drive install puppy dingo and I don't have installed xfce, I need it?

muggins

#5 Post by muggins »

cf13,

maybe I'm the only person that has the blasted thing working on puppy! I tried compiling it on pup3, but ran into a bunch of problems. But I've compiled it on pup4...I hope you're using the one with the 2.6.21.7 kernel?

It turns out that besides the included libassa, it also needs libgtkmm-2.4.so, libgdkmm-2.4.so, libatkmm-1.6.so, libpangomm-1.4.so, libcairomm-1.0.so & libglibmm-2.4.so. Most of these are available as .pets, from the pup3 or pup4 section of the puppy ibiblio repository, but I had to snaffle libcairomm from packages.debian.org. (It's in the included granule-libs.tar.gz).

So you need to extract the granule-libs.tar.gz to /. Granule won't work until you've additionally installed the above packages.

N.B. Sorry pup3 users, but even though this was compiled on the 2.6.21.7 compatible pup4, I couldn't get it working on pup3. first it was complaining about libpixman-1.so.0, then when i purloined this from pup4, I was getting some other error, that's when I bailed!

So, for pup4:
Attachments
granule-libs.tar.gz
(22.93 KiB) Downloaded 698 times
Last edited by muggins on Sun 18 May 2008, 00:35, edited 1 time in total.

cf13

#6 Post by cf13 »

Hi muggins,

I downloaded and installed the libraries, after changing the gtk theme I'm not having the xfce error anymore, but still have this one
granule
Aborted
Thanks

muggins

#7 Post by muggins »

cf13,

are you trying the first version, (which only seems to like pup2xxx), or the second version? Also, if you enter in a console:

Code: Select all

uname -r
what response do you get? And if you try starting granule in a console, by entering granule, what response?

muggins

#8 Post by muggins »

cf13,

(or anyone else having granule probs), if you can't get granule going, I wonder whether you've looked at any of the other options posted in your original thread?

So far, (besides granule & 3 small tcl/tk flashcard scripts), I've had a squizz at:

Freshmemory QT4
Flashqard QT4
Athena-fcm Java
Pauker Java
jMemorize Java

I haven't looked at any of the python-based flashcard programs. If you're using pup4, have the devx .sfs file, and download & install the QT4 .pet, then the first two compile easily.

But from what I've seen, the 3 java apps seem to have the most functionality. So if you've installed the java environment, and have whatever the minimal environment is for java, they're definitely worth a look.

cf13

#9 Post by cf13 »

are you trying the first version, (which only seems to like pup2xxx), or the second version?
:oops: :oops: I was trying the first version, sorry

Installed the second one and I get this error:
# granule
granule: error while loading shared libraries: libgtkmm-2.4.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I checked /usr/lib and that library is there, but it's marked in red, like having an error.

Anyway muggins thanks a lot for your worries, I have java installed so I'm gonna check out your suggestions, actually I downloaded a mobile version of Pauker, and it seems to work with my phone :P now it comes the hardes part... to study!!! :wink: :lol:

muggins

#10 Post by muggins »

cg 13,

you're so close! Unfortunately it needs these library file to run:
It turns out that besides the included libassa, it also needs libgtkmm-2.4.so, libgdkmm-2.4.so, libatkmm-1.6.so, libpangomm-1.4.so, libcairomm-1.0.so & libglibmm-2.4.so. Most of these are available as .pets, from the pup3 or pup4 section of the puppy ibiblio repository, but I had to snaffle libcairomm from packages.debian.org. (It's in the included granule-libs.tar.gz).

Plus you would need to download this, and extract it to /, then hopefully granule will work.

Otherwise, definitiely go with one of the java apps, especially as they seem more user friendly.

SkyPilot

#11 Post by SkyPilot »

I've been watching this thread and also trying to install granule. I get the same problem that cf13 was trying. I installed the libs (although if I understand the information from the extracting screen we're not installing a lib, but a symlink), and the program says it can't find libgtkmm-2.4.so or libgtkmm-2.4.so.1, both of which show, in /usr/lib a broken symlink.

Is there a place to download libgtkmm-2.4.so (etc.) or am I missing something that is extremely to the hard core programmer (which I am not - but ask me to parse a Greek or Latin verb and watch me).

muggins

#12 Post by muggins »

SkyPilot

#13 Post by SkyPilot »

Muggins,

Thanks for replying! I appreciate it!

I tried downloading "atk-1.20.0.pet" (5 or 6 times) and clicked on it in Rog to have it installed. I was told that it was processing, but never got the notice that it was successfully installed (hence I did it 5-6 times and got the same result, no successful notification).

"glibmm-2.14.1.pet" and "gtkmm-2.12.1.pet" were installed successfully. I ran, or tried to run, granule from the cli, but was told that libcairo was needed, so downloaded "cairomm.1.4.4.pet" and it loaded successfully.

I then tried again to run granule from cli and got the following:

#granule
Aborted
#

I'm trying this on a Dell Inspiron 2650, 1.6ghz, 385mb memory and a 30gig HD.

Once again, thanks for your help. I see that I've lurked here longer than you, but I most certainly do not have your skill with computers.

muggins

#14 Post by muggins »

SkyPilot,

yes, I also didn't get the atk .pet registering, but I think it installs OK. You are using pup4 aren't you? (As I couldn't get it to work on pup3 at all!)

If you enter granule in a console, what errors do you get? Anything regarding missing libraries?

SkyPilot

#15 Post by SkyPilot »

Sorry that I wasn't clearer. The message I posted last night is what happened when I typed granule into the console (shouldn't have called it cli, command line interface).

To recap, after installing everything except the atk .pet, typing granule in the console brought up a message about libcairo... missing. So I installed the cairomm .pet and tried it in the console again. The result was

#granule
Aborted
#

At that point I called for help since I don't really know what I'm doing. And yes, I'm using Dingo. Haven't really changed anything except adding some games, the OpenOffice sfs and trying to install granule.

Again, thanks for your advice!

muggins

#16 Post by muggins »

I included libcairomm in this archive, which needs to be extracted to /.

steve_s

#17 Post by steve_s »

Muggins: is this able to run in 4.2.1? Even with the correct libraries taken care of I am still getting the same error that SkyPilot was getting...

SkyPilot: did you get this to run?

I would love to have this program going on the laptop...flashcards are the last thing on my list for my language learning...

steve_s

#18 Post by steve_s »

Got it.

Went to the granule home page, downloaded the rpm, unpacked it and placed stuff in the appropriate folder...either it was a newer version or that coupled with the stuff already from pet files, I don't know. Either way, it started up... 8)