Bitlocker alternative for puppy

Using applications, configuring, problems
memo

Bitlocker alternative for puppy

#1 Post by memo »

Hi all,

is there any aplication that do what bitlocker in windows does, the lock the partitions or the whole hard disk. I know puppy can encrypt the OS partitions but how to do that for other partitions as well

regards,
memo
Xanialpup 7.5 32 bit

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

IIRC, Xenial's devx packs cryptsetup, which may not be to your liking. Then there's GUI based VeraCrypt.

https://www.veracrypt.fr/en/Beginner%27 ... orial.html

https://www.thegeekstuff.com/2016/03/cr ... p-lukskey/

linux-hard-disk-encryption-with-luks-cryptsetup-command

Others may chime in....
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

perdido

#3 Post by perdido »

Semme wrote: Others may chime in....
LUKS is in puppy and easy to use thanks to forum member jafdmin
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117984
Gui that has options to encrypt a disk, partition, or file and other stuff.

Ding Dong

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

PS - If you live somewhere the locals don't respect privacy, GET OUT! Seriously.

And careful play'in around with these things, you're liable to LOCK YOURSELF OUT!
Can somebody explain to me what the point of all this encryption is? From what I understand, encryption makes system recovery much, much harder, so, er......???
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

memo

#5 Post by memo »

perdido wrote:
Semme wrote: Others may chime in....
LUKS is in puppy and easy to use thanks to forum member jafdmin
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117984
Gui that has options to encrypt a disk, partition, or file and other stuff.

Ding Dong
thanks for the suggesiton, I am reading the attached pdf and I have a couple of questions;

*what a loop device mean
*does it formate the partition before locking the partiiotn, if that is the case what if the partition has already data on it?

regards,
Xanialpup 7.5 32 bit

memo

#6 Post by memo »

Semme wrote:PS - If you live somewhere the locals don't respect privacy, GET OUT! Seriously.

And careful play'in around with these things, you're liable to LOCK YOURSELF OUT!
Can somebody explain to me what the point of all this encryption is? From what I understand, encryption makes system recovery much, much harder, so, er......???
I did not get it, would you elaborate?
Xanialpup 7.5 32 bit

Semme

#7 Post by Semme »

Didn't get it? Too bad.. :D:wink:

memo

#8 Post by memo »

Semme wrote:Didn't get it? Too bad.. :D:wink:
oke, whatever
Xanialpup 7.5 32 bit

jafadmin

#9 Post by jafadmin »

@memo

"Bitlocker" is the Microsoft brand name for their hard disk encryption system. It doesn't really "lock" anything, it just encrypts it.

In Linux, a loop device is a pseudo-device that makes a file accessible as a block device (like a disk).

When LUKS first creates an encrypted object, it overwrites it's contents creating the encrypted container. That encrypted container is then formatted with the desired filesystem (fat32, EXT, etc ..) producing a shiny new empty encrypted volume.

Soo ... Encrypting a volume is a DESTRUCTIVE process. If you are encrypting a disk, it overwrites the partition table and all partitions. If you are encrypting a partition, it wipes out the existing partition information and contents.

@Semme was pointing out that the intended nature of encrypted volumes is that they are inherently resistant to recovery efforts. DON'T lose your password, and ALWAYS back up the headers!

And last of all .. Peoples, please remember to back up your data, Ok?

memo

#10 Post by memo »

@ jafadmin

thanks for the explanation!
Xanialpup 7.5 32 bit

Semme

#11 Post by Semme »

As mentioned in the summary eCryptfs does not require special on-disk storage allocation effort, such as a separate partition or pre-allocated space. Instead, you can mount eCryptfs on top of any single directory to protect it. That includes, for example, a user's entire home directory or single dedicated directories within it. All cryptographic metadata is stored in the headers of files, so encrypted data can be easily moved, stored for backup and recovered. There are other advantages, but there are also drawbacks, for instance eCryptfs is not suitable for encrypting complete partitions which also means you cannot protect swap space with it (but you can, of course, combine it with Dm-crypt / Swap encryption). If you are just starting to set up disk encryption, swap encryption and other points to consider are covered in Data-at-rest encryption#Preparation.

Ref.
Works well if you pay attention: Create a private encrypted folder with eCryptfs

With a little [effort]creativity[/effort] you could script yourself a launcher.