enrique

Puppy without Xorg but Midnight Commander

#1 Post by enrique »

Let me post why I need such a thing.

When testing new Puppys we;
*Boot in Working Puppy.
*Make changes to our New Puppy Folders
*Power Down and reboot on New Puppy.
*Just to fail and Powerdown new Puppy to star all over again.

In the process we lost a few minutes on powerdown & powerup twice. So as sample 4 x 1 minute = 4 minute lost time per try.

If we used a Puppy without Xor but just let say Midnight Commander then I could save more or less 2 minutes. I know to little for many. Ignore the time.

Please note that I expect a quick fast boot kernel with Midnight Commander. So I expect all files in folder for this Puppy will not be bigger than 10 MB! Yes another advantage.

So QUESTION is,
Do we have an old Puppy that uses similar approach. I do like Midnight Commander as it remind me about Northon Commander.

dancytron

#2 Post by dancytron »

I've played around with it.

You need to edit the file associations.

See this very old post I made on the Raspberry Pi board.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 36#p165436

rockedge

#3 Post by rockedge »

I us mc a lot. Mostly when connecting to another machine remotely via SSH and to work in the remote machine very efficiently I use midnight commander. From my days using Norton Commander from the MS-DOS days. I got used to 2 panel file managers

mc and nano installed so via SSH remote control a machine can be run and edited from a terminal

enrique

#4 Post by enrique »

Well the best I had found on the last few hours of search is this.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 548#383548

Link is broken. But file can be found from:

https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linux_pUPnGO
puppy_cli.iso

Now that is a very old Puppy base on pup_412 and MC is very old.
But total files of Puppy are only 9.2MB
It boot in my Laptop on 20 Seconds.

Code: Select all

title pUPnGO_cli pdriv (sdb2/pUPnGO_cli)
  find --set-root uuid () 01D25BB9765C3F00
  kernel /pUPnGO_cli/vmlinuz initrd=initrd.gz pdev1=sdb2 psubdir=pUPnGO_cli
  initrd /pUPnGO_cli/initrd.gz
If you do not set pdev1=sdb2 psubdir=pUPnGO_cli it takes for ever as it search all my drives and partition, just to end selecting the wrong puppy save as I have many many Puppys on my laptop.

So I have to see how to upgrade the MC and see if I can make my internet with this old kernel. It uses CLInet network connect that I had never used it.

As a second choice I will see how well or not I can make grub4dos boot freedos and the real Northon Commander. Just to compare the speed. I am pretty sure it may be faster, but I am concerned that the edit of files may fail as end of lines for Linux are different. I do prefer to stick with the 9MB Puppy Linux.

But nice productive search tonight. This forum has so much hidden...

enrique

#5 Post by enrique »

I feel so s7upid...
So much thinking and I fail on the basics.

After an hour or so installing Freedos+NC I realize it will never work. First it is installed on NTFS, so just that should make it failed. Then I use grub4dos to boot a floppy image of Freedos. Just to realize that dos will never see other NTFS or ext2, ext3, ext4. OOHH well it was nice to see Northon Commander one more time.

I guess then I will be force to make my own Puppy with a more recent kernel. Or I have to search for the original kernel to build my wifi drivers.

I could try debian? I guess back to searching the net for done projects.

rockedge

#6 Post by rockedge »

run DOSBox ....on this I run Nortons Commander

https://www.dosbox.com/

It is in the PPM. I find DOSBox does a good job and also runs QuickBasic 4.5 really well.

enrique

#7 Post by enrique »

I do have dos box on my main BusterDog., Some time on December I did prepare my BusterDog to handle all that I did in Win,

The Midnight Commander is just another tool. Just to cut time on reboots while doing trial and error. But you show me it can handle shh & ftp and now I want that too. It is all your fault hehehehehe.

I just added booting on qemu for testing puppies.