Can't see my hard drive

Booting, installing, newbie
registereduser

Can't see my hard drive

#1 Post by registereduser »

Bionic Puppy install won't see the drive /dev/sdb. I've partitioned it with Gparted in puppy. it already has a linux distro installed on /dev/sdb1, so I made a new partition /dev/sdb2 for puppy but the installer says Nothing to choose. If a plugin device, did you plug it in?

I can browse it's files and mount/open the new partition I just made. I've tried USB hard drive, Internal Ide/sata/scsi, USB flash drive, Internal ide/sata/flash drive options but none will see it.

I have a distro on /dev/sdb1 and would like to install puppy to /dev/sdb2

I cracked open the external drive plastic shell, the drive inside is a hitachi SATA, connected through the USB.

my computer is a HP Envy DV7.

Moose On The Loose

Re: Can't see my hard drive

#2 Post by Moose On The Loose »

registereduser wrote:Bionic Puppy install won't see the drive /dev/sdb. I've partitioned it with Gparted in puppy. it already has a linux distro installed on /dev/sdb1, so I made a new partition /dev/sdb2 for puppy but the installer says Nothing to choose. If a plugin device, did you plug it in?

I can browse it's files and mount/open the new partition I just made. I've tried USB hard drive, Internal Ide/sata/scsi, USB flash drive, Internal ide/sata/flash drive options but none will see it.

I have a distro on /dev/sdb1 and would like to install puppy to /dev/sdb2

I cracked open the external drive plastic shell, the drive inside is a hitachi SATA, connected through the USB.
This is likely a big drive. You may be hitting against the limitations of the machine's BIOS to boot from a high numbered track on a hard drive.
Try doing an install onto a USB memory stick just to make sure it all works.
There is a risky way to solve this. For the moment lets not do this but this is the idea:
1)Remove the sdb2
2) Move the sbd1 down the disk by 2G
3) Install into the new area now called sdb1
4) Add the now sdb2 to the menu

Others are likely to have suggestions that don't put your existing system at risk.
BTW: I did have some luck with renaming the files for a Puppy Linux and adding them to the boot menu. Others may suggest this method.

Semme

#3 Post by Semme »

Welcome, Mate!

Bionic32 or 64? Looks like Mike Walsh has already faced and addressed this head-wall:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114535

Read up and if you are adventurous to try anything he's posted, all well.

Otherwise, he'll surface before long...
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

registereduser

Re: Can't see my hard drive

#4 Post by registereduser »

How big is big? it's 160Gb
Bionic x64 :)

It installed to an 8Gb flash USB, could I just move those files to sdc2 and tweak something in grub? I shall try it

I copied the USB 8Gb files to the sdc2 then ran update-grub but it didn't find it :(

other than that, it would be over my head. so I will just give up. Thanks for the help guys.

fabrice_035

#5 Post by fabrice_035 »

to start dealing with this kind of problem you can use the command

Code: Select all

fdisk -l
and

Code: Select all

lsblk
I've had to mount a disk on the command line before, but I didn't find out why there was a problem.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/177825/ ... ternal-hdd

but if a partition remains invisible in spite of this solution then I would be curious to know the reason. what is the model of this disk?

and finally, here's an approach I use if it helps ->

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=118541
Bionicpup64-8.0 _ Kernel 5.4.27-64oz _ Asus Rog GL752