What are the oldest Puppy & DebianDog in the forrum?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Moose On The Loose

Re: Saluki -- Still a great Puppy

#21 Post by Moose On The Loose »

mikeslr wrote:Not ancient. Yesterday I remembered that I had an Asus 701SD, https://www.linux-netbook.com/asus-eee-pc-701sd/ and wondered what I had installed and was it still usable.
I had my EEE-PC701 running 2 days ago.
It has my modified version of 528 on it.
Youtube videos played just fine.

ally

#22 Post by ally »

mike, I'm adding the pets n stuff to the saluki archive - thanks :)

enrique

#23 Post by enrique »

Guys, I had not forgotten on your posted Ideas. Thanks mikeslr & Moose On The Loose.

But Life call me to duty. I had to perform an emergency Hardware Upgrade on my home toilet. ;) That is Life. So I could not work on old laptop. But mikeslr links brought me to QEMU-Puppy.

I guess quemu may be the easy way to run the very 1rst Puppys on my New Laptop. At least until I make it work thru chrrot I have not tested the quemu images but I have no reason not to trust Erik Veenstra old images.

quemu should allow my new hardware to pass its capabilities to the old Puppys and the Puppys should work as intended. Well there may be small issues like ext2 limitation, and we know browsers are an issue.

But I do not intent this puppy to be perfect. I just only love to have them as demo to show what was back then.

I let you know if I succeed.

enrique

#24 Post by enrique »

QEMU-Puppy

At first impression, qemu seems to fail. But as soon I added -full-screen to the qemu sentence then there is no more issue with the focus and mouse and keyboard start functioning as intended. Nice.

Then I am able to set vesa resolution ( I could not made work xorg) and I got desktop working. Next I assume I will have to assign my laptop network to qemu in order to fake a valid network card inside Puppy. I did try ONLY Puppy 1.0.7-1 and Puppy 2.17-1.

DIsk are no issue. As real disk are not pass to qemu. Instead Disk images are in use. I guess once network is establish maybe we can add real drives as local area network drives thru samba. Or maybe we could try tell qemu to pass a Real Disk but then we have to ensure it is ext2 I guess.