Problem installing TahrPup64 to USB

Using applications, configuring, problems
charlane_meyer

Problem installing TahrPup64 to USB

#1 Post by charlane_meyer »

I have installed TahrPup64 repeatedly to delireum and the Bootflash either disappears or is gone. I have the puppy installer and maybe that's the same and IDK. The real problem is that in creating a bootable USB with either a FAT32 or ext4 file system for other pups, the TahrPup64 tells me to unmount the USB drive that I am trying to load an ISO to, and then when the ISO is copying I get an error that the drive is unmounted later.

I need to create a bootable USB drive with ISO(s). :(

I used the Bootflash on BionicPup32 and it worked great. I used it on BionicPup64 and that was great, too. The greatness has left. Any comments please? Thank you in advance.
Last edited by charlane_meyer on Sun 10 May 2020, 00:04, edited 1 time in total.

charlane_meyer

#2 Post by charlane_meyer »

Now it mounts as a CDROM drive to another laptop! At least Bootflash is still on that laptop that I installed BionicPup32 on.

That laptop screams after I took dielectric grease and applied to all connections taking care to thoroughly wipe all off, and still leaving a residue and not cross continuity, and then applied thermal paste to chips/chipsets to include RAM and onboard. It's messy and screams.

So what is up with the format to CDROM drive for my USB? I am trying to load TahrPup64 lite on my friend's Dell D820 from BionicPup32. :idea:
Dell Laptop E6430 with 4GB Ram, 1TB HD, and Puppy Linux 64x 8.0.

All rights reserved.

charlane_meyer

#3 Post by charlane_meyer »

Alright, when I go back into Gparted, I get the message that I have to create a Partition table and I do this with MSDOS. Then, I create a primary partition in GParted ext4 format. That appears OK and I am not getting 3 or 4 extra drive mountings for the USB. When I opened puppy installer and checked the USB HARD DRIVE, I get "Please plug in the USB drive right now" and I check "Ok" to continue. The next screen comes up with "Bootflash" at the top and "choose drive" and "choose which drive to format" and I select "sdb..." and check "Ok". Then I get "Please reconfirm that this it the USB drive that you want to format;". Here I am recommended to use the Puppy Universal Installer from the setup menu, first, that it will attempt to make the drive bootable as it without reformatting it. I have no Universal Installer in my Setup menu.

So, I check "Ok" to continue. I next get a box with "Bootflash" Install Puppy" and "USB drive now (hopefully) bootable!" and check "Install Puppy" next. I go to the "my-applications" folder from "root" and double-click and select the sub-directory that I made called "Puppies". I select "tahr64-light-6.0.5-uefi-MK1.iso" and check "Ok".

Then I get an error message "error accessing .iso file" with "Bootflash" at the top. Is there a read-only flag on this file somehow?

I go to the file icon and find the .iso and click on it for details. I click on "Properties" and find that the Owner has read/write access, but Group and World has read-only access.

At install of TahrPup64, I checked to run applications as Spot. Is this what is happening? How do I rectify this?

All rights reserved.

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

Hello Charlane.

Forget about all that. Instead, go into our HOWTO forum and page search rcr. "Bill" offers a better way.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

charlane_meyer

#5 Post by charlane_meyer »

Hello Semme. Thank you for responding. I found "How to Give Your Grub Menu a Password". Not sure about this, respectfully.

All rights reserved.

charlane_meyer

#6 Post by charlane_meyer »

Well, after all that I get the error message "Sorry /root/my-applications/Puppies/tahr64-light-6.05-uefi-MK1.iso is already mounted and in use by Puppy on /tmp/bootflash_iso from /root/my-appications/Puppies/tahr64-light-6.05-uefi-MK1.iso".

Not getting it!

All rights reserved.

Semme

#7 Post by Semme »

Maybe my directions weren't clear? Otherwise, I'd say you want the method described on page 12.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

charlane_meyer

#8 Post by charlane_meyer »

:?
Last edited by charlane_meyer on Sun 10 May 2020, 03:41, edited 14 times in total.

All rights reserved.

charlane_meyer

#9 Post by charlane_meyer »

Semme wrote:Maybe my directions weren't clear? Otherwise, I'd say you want the method described on page 12.
Thank you for responding.

Ok. I see this and what it's about. I have no idea where to get "isobooter.tar.gz". I know it is not much in number of files and that's it.

All rights reserved.

charlane_meyer

#10 Post by charlane_meyer »

I found the "Download" link. Been at this for 14 hours straight. I wonder how many people give up?

All rights reserved.

bigpup

#11 Post by bigpup »

Whatever Puppy version you are running.
The Puppy Universal Installer is coded to only install that specific Puppy version.

Example:
If you are running Bionicpup32 8.0, that is the only Puppy version it will install.

I have no idea if the computers you want to use the USB installed Puppy on are old style bios or new UEFI bios.

Try using this installer:
Frugalpup Installer
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114340
This installer can install any Puppy version using an iso of it.
It can also install old style bios boot loader or UEFI style boot loader or both.
Also, it does only frugal installs.
So you can have more than one Puppy version installed on the USB. Multiple Puppies or only one.

Frugalpup installer is only packaged as an sfs package.
To use it.
Download to /mnt/home location.
(make sure to get latest version)
Use SFS-Load-On-The-Fly program to load it.
Should now have Frugalpup entry in menu->Setup to run it.

The Frugalpup installer main window.
Puppy button does the installs.
Boot button installs boot loader.

Note:
I usually use Gparted to make two partitions on the USB stick.
First one a small 500MB, formatted fat32, flagged boot.
(used to hold the boot loader files and be the boot partition)
Rest of drive made into a partition, formatted ext 3 or 4.

When using Frugalpup Installer.
Select the second partition as the place to install the Puppy version.
The first partition as the place to install the boot loader.

Note:
Some computers, only look for a fat32 formatted boot partition, for the boot loader.
UEFI bios, that is one of the requirements for UEFI.

Using Frugalpup Installer.
If you do multiple frugal installs, of different Puppy versions.
Each time you do the frugal install on the drive.
Rerun the boot loader install, to update the boot loader menu, to have entry for the newly installed.

If you try this using Bionicpup64 8.0, have Updated it using Quickpet.
Frugalpup installer has been added already.
Use menu->Setup->Stickpup for USB
Or in a terminal

Code: Select all

frugalpup
To run the complete program.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)