Youtube downloading tips

Using applications, configuring, problems
nic007

Youtube downloading tips

#1 Post by nic007 »

I have a tip for those who download youtube videos to watch offline. Youtube stores in 2 formats, ie. webm for streaming (VP9 codec for video and ogg for audio) and mp4 (H264 mpeg-4 AVC for video and aac for audio). mp4 gives the better quality but it comes at a price, very big files. A lengthy 720P mp4 for example could be hundreds of MB bigger than a 720P webm file (higher quality will have an even greater difference in size). Now, I don't think a 720P webm file as hosted with youtube is actually 720P in the real sense of the word but the quality is still very good. So, I compromise. I download the webm video file and the mp4a (aac) audio file seperately and then combine them with ffconvert into a matroska (mkv) file. The great thing about matroska is that it is only a container so the actual files are just "combined" into one mkv file without actual conversion of the files. Almost all video and audio formats can be combined this way without actually converting them. Most video players with up to date codecs should be able to play it.
Last edited by nic007 on Tue 05 May 2020, 23:15, edited 1 time in total.

enrique

#2 Post by enrique »

Thanks for the idea. What you use for download?

nic007

#3 Post by nic007 »

enrique

#4 Post by enrique »

Will try it soon.

I used to have a Palemoon 26 faking it was latest. But it stop working about 1 or 2 month ago.

I personally do not like Gtk Youtube Viewer, I question how it behaves some times. I been force to used it lately.

dancytron

#5 Post by dancytron »

I download them to watch on my phone.

I use Youtube-DLG 0.4, which 666philb http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=115494, made into an app image single clickable file. It does about 75% of them.

I use Video DownloadHelper firefox addin (an older version that will run on stretch) on some and non youtube videos.

I use Gtk Youtube Viewer for the tough ones that nothing else will download. It hasn't failed yet. I have to put them into a playlist in youtube to find them easily in GtK youtube viewer.

enrique

#6 Post by enrique »

dancytron wrote:...I use Video DownloadHelper firefox addin (an older version that will run on stretch) on some and non youtube videos...
Yes exactly what I did, DownloadHelper but on Palemoon26. But it does not longer work, I guess the catch me up on the Missing HTML5.

What Firefox do you use that still working?

I do not use this a lot. But from time to time, when I have to learn a new thing, I search for a full tutorial, download the videos and watch at bed time until I get sleepy.

In any case THANKS for your testimony, I guess is finding new way.

dancytron

#7 Post by dancytron »

enrique wrote:
dancytron wrote:...I use Video DownloadHelper firefox addin (an older version that will run on stretch) on some and non youtube videos...
Yes exactly what I did, DownloadHelper but on Palemoon26. But it does not longer work, I guess the catch me up on the Missing HTML5.

What Firefox do you use that still working?

I do not use this a lot. But from time to time, when I have to learn a new thing, I search for a full tutorial, download the videos and watch at bed time until I get sleepy.

In any case THANKS for your testimony, I guess is finding new way.
I'm using Fred's portable Firefox kept up to date with the latest.

There is something that needs to be upgraded in Stretch itself for the latest version to run. It works in Buster the last I checked.

enrique

#8 Post by enrique »

So Buster+Fred's portable Firefox+DownloadHelper.
Any Specific AddBlock?

dancytron

#9 Post by dancytron »

enrique wrote:So Buster+Fred's portable Firefox+DownloadHelper.
Any Specific AddBlock?
I use uBlock Origin.

For my main OS, I'm still using Stretch, which is why I can't use the up to date downloadhelper.

edit: For the sake of completeness, this is what my notes say about making videodownloadhelper run in stretch.
Downgrade video download helper companion app to net.downloadhelper.coapp-1.2.1-1_amd64.deb

enrique

#10 Post by enrique »

I been busy testing AES algorithm speed. My mind is burned. But I hope to find some time in next days to test all what you have said. I prefer a local download method over an online. But will even consider going into none GUI Python. So your post are very interesting to me. Thanks for you help. If I see a real winner I will post the info.

nic007

#11 Post by nic007 »

Another good online downloader is: https://9xbuddy.com/. It combines the youtube video and audio mp4 streams in one file automatically.

enrique

#12 Post by enrique »

nic007

Most of my time I run with java scripts off. This online downloaders always required java scripts. That is why I prefer a local downloader. I know I am crazy. Since I do not do this youtube thing often, to me is better a little hard time on none gui that turning on my java scripts. I know "Que loco?"

But I will have your link ready just in case. There is always a time when no other stuff work, I know. So many Thanks

nic007

#13 Post by nic007 »

The problem with Youtube is that things tend to change ever so often. That's why I normally search for the next online site that actually works correctly. Had too many frustrations with installed downloaders and browser add-ons in the past. Dailymotion is even more difficult to get to work.

enrique

#14 Post by enrique »

Exactly.. That is what I said: " There is always a time when no other stuff work" And I will keep your links always handy. Thanks

oui

#15 Post by oui »

do so:
https://ssyoutube.com/watch?v=qfuGgRvtk-c
and
you can look or download easily your youtubes
(here:
Puppy Linux frugal install alongside Windows XP)

howto do it: hit on download, a second download key appears a few seconds later as the file is found and you can controll it is the right one, hit on the second download to! and turn the advertising off!

also extremely long ones like
https://ssyoutube.com/watch?v=5FN-z_4Yc2A
(8 hours long!!! it's very long...)
are going well!

enrique

#16 Post by enrique »

ssyoutube.com transfer to https://us.savefrom.net/ then

Subject: Discontinuation of Service in the United States

April 16, 2020

Dear Savefrom User:

As you may have heard, our industry has been under strenuous attacks by certain US copyright holders. Because of these attacks, it has become financially impractical for Savefrom to continue to provide services in the United States.

Accordingly, Savefrom will be terminating its services in the United States as of April 28, 2020.

We thank you for your past loyalty and patronage and wish you health and safety during the present health crisis and beyond.

Very truly yours,

Savefrom

© 2008-2020

trister

#17 Post by trister »

For youtube videos I used JDownloader in the past.

The past month I found out that slimjet browser when you vivit youtube It prompts you to install codes/libraries to download youtube video.
Once done each time you visit youtube it displays a button that asks you if you want webm ot mp4 format to download. It also downloads the mp3 of the video.
This is for me the easiest.