Yandex browser 64 bit

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
watchdog

Yandex browser 64 bit

#1 Post by watchdog »

https://browser.yandex.com/

I'm using it in ScPup 19.09+3 32 bit with the 64bit-compatibility sfs. It works great. Very useful the just in time traduction of sites. Built-in ad-block. Is it chromium based? To use it as root:

Code: Select all

/path-to/yandex/yandex-browser-beta --no-sandbox

watchdog

#2 Post by watchdog »

It can be portabilized. Extract /opt/yandex/browser-beta dir from the deb package in /mnt/home and rename the dir as for example /mnt/home/yandex_64. Put in that dir a yandex-pup file with the following content:

#!/bin/sh
#
# Wrapper-script to launch Yandex browser beta
#
HERE="$(dirname "$(readlink -f "$0")")"
#
mkdir "$HERE/PROFILE" 2> /dev/null
#
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HERE/:$HERE/lib${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:+:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH} 
#
run-as-spot "$HERE/yandex-browser-beta" --user-data-dir=$HERE/PROFILE --disable-infobars "$@"
and make it executable. Clicking on it starts the portabilized yandex browser with spot user (credits to MikeWalsh and fredx181).

linux28

#3 Post by linux28 »

watchdog wrote:It can be portabilized. Extract /opt/yandex/browser-beta dir from the deb package in /mnt/home and rename the dir as for example /mnt/home/yandex_64. Put in that dir a yandex-pup file with the following content:

#!/bin/sh
#
#
#
#
#
run-as-spot "$HERE/yandex-browser-beta" --user-data-dir=$HERE/PROFILE --disable-infobars "$@"
and make it executable. Clicking on it starts the portabilized yandex browser with spot user (credits to MikeWalsh and fredx181).
Still not working

linux28

Re: Yandex browser 64 bit

#4 Post by linux28 »

watchdog wrote:https://browser.yandex.com/

I'm using it in ScPup 19.09+3 32 bit with the 64bit-compatibility sfs. It works great. Very useful the just in time traduction of sites. Built-in ad-block. Is it chromium based? To use it as root:

/path-to/yandex/yandex-browser-beta --no-sandbox
yandex-browser-beta --no-sandbox

Works, but prompts every time

watchdog

#5 Post by watchdog »

linux28 wrote:
watchdog wrote:It can be portabilized. Extract /opt/yandex/browser-beta dir from the deb package in /mnt/home and rename the dir as for example /mnt/home/yandex_64. Put in that dir a yandex-pup file with the following content:

#!/bin/sh
#
#
#
#
#
Still not working
Post your output of the console command:

/mnt/home/yandex_64/yandex-pup
Working here with ScPup64-20.01+2.

linux28

#6 Post by linux28 »

watchdog wrote:
linux28 wrote:

#!/bin/sh
#
#
#
#
#
Still not working
Post your output of the console command:

/mnt/home/yandex_64/yandex-pup
Working here with ScPup64-20.01+2.
This means that running multiple instances would start multiple browser processes rather than opening a new window in the existing process. Aborting now to avoid profile corruption.
Failed to create /home/spot/.cache/mesa_shader_cache for shader cache

watchdog

#7 Post by watchdog »

Open a console and type:

chown -R spot:spot /mnt/home/yandex_64/PROFILE
Click then again on /mnt/home/yandex_64/yandex-pup.

linux28

#8 Post by linux28 »

watchdog wrote:Open a console and type:

chown -R spot:spot /mnt/home/yandex_64/PROFILE
Click then again on /mnt/home/yandex_64/yandex-pup.
Still not working, can you write a script directly, and then make it as a pet, can I download it and install it directly?

watchdog

#9 Post by watchdog »

yandex_64.tar.gz:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17rDbMl ... sp=sharing

Extract the archive where you want and run yandex-pup inside it by clicking on it. This version runs yandex without sandbox and as root with portable PROFILE. I cannot replicate my install running as spot and with sandbox because I have used an existing PROFILE. With an already created PROFILE you can change to spot the ownership of the PROFILE and run yandex as spot and with sandbox by changing yandex-pup as explained in a previous post.

Mike Walsh

#10 Post by Mike Walsh »

Here's a 'portable' package of the Yandex browser that runs as root.

I've upgraded libffmpeg to a modern version that supports H264, and added-in the contents of the self-contained libs directory originally developed for Chrome. I know this is a bit bigger than most of the 'portables' I've done recently, but there is one hell of a lot of Russian-related stuff coded directly into the browser itself, all of which needs disabling...

One thing I do like about this is that it'll let you switch themes back to the older style of 'sloped' tabs from earlier versions of Chromium. It's one of the few things I do miss in current releases.

Anyway, for those of you willing to risk it, here's the download location:-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q8I7uo ... sp=sharing

MD5 - 7f0604e754e2307cf49ea36abfbbe9fe

Sha256 - 7c441b0cf43dc79c44d51814410aec9c0eefa25e10629a93bf146f0ca02f1179

------------------------------------------

Same as always; unzip, move anywhere you want. Click to open, click 'LAUNCH' to fire it up.

Thanks to watchdog for demonstrating this one's possible!

Have fun.

Mike. :wink:

Mike Walsh

#11 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ watchdog:-

Ah, hell; looks like you posted while I was 'composing', mate..! :lol:

The more options, the merrier, I always say..... :D

watchdog

#12 Post by watchdog »

In ScPup64 gtk+3 and at-spi2-atk from PPM are required.

Mike Walsh

#13 Post by Mike Walsh »

Evening, all.

Initial impressions...

Following initial reservations - mostly related to the sheer amount of Russian 'stuff' that needs removing from/disabling in this browser!! - this was as easy as the Vivaldi portable to make 'fully-functional'.

Despite not having the Widevine decryption module anywhere to be found, Yandex must be even more closely modelled on the parent Chromium than most of the other clones. I'd added the 'libs' directory from Chrome, including the 'proper' libffmpeg to support H.264, etc. I copied the WidevineCdm directory across from Chrome, as is. Re-launching Yandex after these modifications, everything just 'worked'.

I don't know if anybody else has noticed, but importing bookmarks (or trying to) is the most tedious PITA I've ever encountered in years of running these Chromium-based browsers. Every attempt to do anything at all with bookmarks ends up re-directing you to something Yandex call "Yandex Collections".....and of course, the entire site's in Cyrillic, isn't it? I'm guessing it's their own equivalent of Sync, though they don't seem as though they want you to keep anything locally; it appears they'd prefer you to upload even bookmarks. Sounds to me like it's tailor-made for the Russian Security Services...!! :roll:

I'm pleased to find LastPass is included in the default list of extensions that ship with Yandex. In all honesty, I'm not that bothered about extensions any more; as long as I can get uBlock Origin, LastPass and some kind of weather forecast on the browser, I'm happy.....

Posting from it now.