Captcha - What it is not?

For discussions about security.
purple379

Captcha - What it is not?

#1 Post by purple379 »

Captcha says it wants to verify if we are human, and we are required to choose from photos that require human interpretation to get to the desired web page.

I have also heard Captcha does a locate on on our "First login" IP.

Captcha being famous for helping to do a locate on "Dread Pirate Roberts." Hard to argue with the benefits of his not being around. I am sure we have many other more secrecy aware drug dealers to replace him.

Well, that is not my point. Frequently, if I use a VPN, or Tor, I get a Captcha to fill out. I would guess to benefit Surveillance Capitalism on the internet.

In one direction. Years ago I was on Dial Up and I benefited from a piece of software that blocked the immediate download of Flash -photos, advertising that were huge and took up a lot of time to download on Dial Up. The fellow who wrote FlashBlock eventually took his software down. He said something about that the advertising he was blocking was paying for the internet we enjoyed for free. Morality leads people to do strange, surprising things.

Still, is there a way I can prevent Captcha from doing locates on me, rather than its stated purpose, "Prove I am Human.?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Use Tor?

purple379

Dread Pirate Roberts caught while using Tor, by Captcha

#3 Post by purple379 »

Tor, the Onion Router has its own restricted Firefox Browser. OR is available with a Firefox addon, or inside Brave browser.

The IP of https://www.torproject.org/ is blocked at the public WiFi at McDonalds. as its download, and the download of Firefox itself, or Firefox Addons. Like most of Linux downloads.

If one already has the Tor Browser, one can use it at Mcdonalds.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/the-dread-pi ... al-mistake

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2014/09/dre ... y-captcha/

https://krebsonsecurity.com/tag/dread-pirate-roberts/

Tor was developed by the US navy, and is maintained by free software people, with the US government still donating money to keep Tor development going. Tor is used by: Whistle Blowers. Dissidents in repressive countries. Human Rights workers. Journalists. In theory; Human Rights websites have pages to defend the right to have and use encryption, but do not practice it themselves.

While using Tor, many websites demand the individual solve a Captcha.

I thought there might be a code to send to get around actually allowing it to identify me.
Last edited by purple379 on Sun 02 Feb 2020, 12:45, edited 1 time in total.

enrique

#4 Post by enrique »

Today there is no way to hide.
True Tor was introduce by US Intelligence. And still is funded by them. But do not leave it there. Internet was build by US Intelligence to have all US military facilities in communication. It was when they include the Development Facilities that they wrongly included Universities. So smart student came up with the WWW. So the whole Internet concept is a military thing.
Now If you have Captcha is ONLY because you have java script. So You are worrying only on what you see Captcha, but java is doing more than that.
In fact you are been force to use https. This mean all what leave your PC is signed by your UNIQUE signature. So you think VPN helps? BUt just think, If you hook to a VPN, do you think that your Bank does not know it is from your PC?

So anyplace you have already been in the web, if it keeps records can in fact realize it is you, even if you use VPN.

tallboy

#5 Post by tallboy »

NordVPN has both Double VPN and Onion over VPN, and if you also change your MAC-address, a LOT of work is required to find your identity.

Double VPN - a privacy solution that sends your internet traffic through two servers, encrypting it twice.
Onion over VPN - a privacy solution that sends your internet traffic through a VPN server and then through the Onion network.

However, if you log in to your normal email or bank service with https while hiding behind a VPN, I have no nowledge about how you are compromized.

I hate captchas, especially the latest sold by Google. They specify that only the latest browser can use the service. I usually block all Google addresses in /etc/hosts, but I have to use the default installed /etc/hosts to access the captchas.
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

backi

#6 Post by backi »

enrique Wrote:
Today there is no way to hide.
So true...so true ..

enrique

#7 Post by enrique »

Just in case. I am not saying to stop using it. Do use even a Halloween Costume while surfing if you think it helps. But do not forget this time are different.

enrique

#8 Post by enrique »

@tallboy your footer reads

I have assume must if not ALL puppy are single users. Then we all can do more than one puppysave. This is not the same as multi-user but it is close. In fact I even believe it is better as we can in fact have true separation of personal files.

No the question is why is that you post such a footer? Are you using puppy let say at work that you need to let say share some data? And even that you can use a separate server for commons.

tallboy

#9 Post by tallboy »

enrique, sorry, but I don't understand your question.Do you mix up multisession with multi-user?
Loading a Puppy from a multisession CD/DVD, which you can remove afterwards, and run the Puppy from RAM, protected by one or two VPNs, give me the feeling that I am free from worries about attacks and viruses. If it is true, I don't know.
I anything happens, I just shut down the PC and boot it from the CD/DVD again. Puppy has given me that freedom for more than 10 years, and multisession extends it.
Last edited by tallboy on Thu 06 Feb 2020, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.

tallboy

#10 Post by tallboy »

enrique, to explain about what multisession is:
If you use for example Burniso2cd from the Menu, you will have a choice of burning the CD normal, or multisession. See the attached window below. If you choose to burn your Puppy .iso to a multisession CD-R, it means that you can save your savefile - after you have finished your 'session' - back to the original CD. The sessions are stored as ordinary directories, with the date and time as a name, on the CD, see the attached photo. When you boot from that CD next time, Puppy will read all the files that you have saved, and load the latest version of a file. Multisession makes it possible to save many times to an ordinary, cheap CD-R, you don't need to use expensive CD-RW. You can also run from a PC without a harddisk, you save back to the CD.
Attachments
multisession-choice.jpg
(39.4 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
multisession-CD.jpg
(41.08 KiB) Downloaded 88 times