The Progress Trap

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
labbe5

The Progress Trap

#1 Post by labbe5 »

Ronald Wright, author and historian, says youth protests may be our last hope.

I, for one, do not think we are wise enough to do something while we still can. Intelligent, we are. Wise, we are not.

Massey lecture now a book : A Short History of Progress
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/escape-o ... -1.5288833

With his background in anthropology and archeology, and novelist's sense of storytelling, Wright traced the rise and fall of various cultures in his riveting 2004 CBC Massey Lectures. A Short History of Progress has just been reissued in book form.

The author is not pleased to have been correct in his assessment of our path, as he recently told CBC IDEAS host, Nahlah Ayed.

In the 15 years since his lecture, the earth's population has "gone from just over six billion to just under eight billion... which is like adding another China or 40 more Canadas to the world."

And it's not just our numbers, but our behaviour that is endangering us, Wright said.

"What makes that worse, from the point of view of keeping natural systems going, is that the level of consumption per person has risen, which has pretty much doubled the impact of that increase."

He's also troubled by the myopic tendencies of governments around the world "to think in very short term cycles, and to become captured by powerful industries."

Pointing to the Brazilian and American presidents as examples, Wright believes that "the quality of discourse and the quality of leader that we're getting in most countries seems to be unequalled for the tasks and the challenges ahead, especially at the moment."

Although he is more pessimistic about our chances to get out of this "progress trap," Wright finds hope in those who stand up to those in power, from the global protests of the Extinction Rebellion movement, to teenage climate change activist Greta Thunberg. The 16-year-old Swede bluntly told U.S. Congress this week: "I know you are trying but just not hard enough."

Massey lecture here : https://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/the-2004 ... -1.2946872

A hero of our time : Greta Thunberg
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... h/#content

Here in Canada, some women pledge not to have children, unless there is change, not just discourses about change.

The climate crisis can be compared to the Titanic. Everybody onboard is confident to get to their destination, even though there is an iceberg lurking in the dark.
Once the iceberg hit the Titanic, - we are at this stage - people scramble to the safety of a few boats - immigrants from drought-striken parts of the world-, hoping to survive in Europe, the U.S, in Canada, affluent parts of the world where we can still live a decent life. People are scrambling to get aboard a few safety boats, but we know there is not enough room for all, so we decide who will live and who will die. Because, we were over-confident in the first place. The Titanic should have get to its destination, no matter what.

Decades ago, when we were told about climate change, we wanted to believe it was fake news. So much so, we didn't do anything. Worse, we kept destroying earth ecosystems at a pace never seen before in the history of mankind.

Hoping activism by youth all over the world will do us any good is all we have left now. Do not waste this last chance, let your kids protest at the United Nations, at your sieges of government. Do them this favor. Please.

Extinction Rebellion
https://rebellion.earth/
Last edited by labbe5 on Thu 10 Oct 2019, 16:29, edited 2 times in total.

foxpup

Re: The Progress Trap

#2 Post by foxpup »

labbe5 wrote:I, for one, do not think we are wise enough to do something while we still can. Intelligent, we are. Wise, we are not.
I agree. We will have to survive some catastrophies. Perhaps we will.

In Brussels, maybe also on other places in the world, there is another climat march at this moment.
Here in Canada, some women pledge not to have children, unless there is change, not just discourses about change.
Here in Belgium it is not so rare that men and women choose not to have children for similar reasons
(there are enough people, quality of life for our children will be worse ... )
I have several friends like that.

backi

#3 Post by backi »

Ha Ha Ha !

Greta Thunberg .......the biggest Fraud of the Century !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Same for Angela Merkel !

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Do you know Greta and Angela?

backi

#5 Post by backi »

Do you know Greta and Angela?
Not really necessary .
They are anyway just virtual Realities .Holographic Projections artificial induced Hallucinations .
Synthetic Products designed in " New World Order Laboratories " .

Fridays for Future .............F-F-F-......
F is the sixth letter of the Alphabet .......so F-F-F= 666.....

Call me a Conpiracy Theorizer ........
Me..... don`t give a shit (for them) anyway .

Best Regards from the merry islamic Shit-hole Germany .

8Geee

#6 Post by 8Geee »

The only problem here is the addicted youth are gonna revolutionize eveyone else's thinking. When they exchange the smart-phone for a phone, and run a computer as the smart-part, I'll start believing. Until then, pure hogwash in need of mouthwash doomed to fail by their hypocritic actions.

JMH 2 milliWatts.
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."