Volume too low in Xenialpup (Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
tem2

Volume too low in Xenialpup (Solved)

#1 Post by tem2 »

There must be a way to increase the volume level in my puppy. In my googling I found a thread that suggested opening gxine and cranking up the amplifier slider in the audio tab.

I was able to install xine, but there is no amplifier slider in the audio tab.

I looked for a way to install gxine, and came up empty.

My understanding of system audio functions is very basic, so please reply as if you are communicating with a third grader. :)
Last edited by tem2 on Sun 08 Sep 2019, 17:40, edited 2 times in total.

Mike Walsh

#2 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ tem2:-

Yo! (*Xine....GXine....huh?? What's going on there, hmm...?*)

Now, then; try this.

1. Right-click on the volume icon. Select 'Full window'. In the window that comes up, look for the slider marked 'PCM'.

2. Ten-to-one, this'll be part-way down the scale. It almost always is, on a fresh install. Crank it up as far as it'll go.

3. While you've got this window open, click on the menu item, 'File', at the top. Select 'Configure', then in the next window that appears, select the 'Main' tab.

4. Check, via the drop-down, to make certain that you have the 'Logarithmic' option selected. (You don't want the 'Linear' one, 'cos this doesn't really give enough 'boost', for want of a better word.)

Let us know what that does for you, please. :)

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sat 07 Sep 2019, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.

tem2

#3 Post by tem2 »

Mike-
I knew you would come to my rescue again!

When I right click on the volume icon I just see a thin rectangle with a bunch of horizontal lines going up. I can change the volume by picking one of the lines. It is already at max level.

I do not have an option to select 'Full window' or anything else.

tem2

#4 Post by tem2 »

Ignore my last post. I found out how to right click. Be right back with my results...

tem2

#5 Post by tem2 »

I have to go out for awhile.

I was able to right click eventually, I selected Full Window, but there was no slider marked 'PCM'

Smithy

#6 Post by Smithy »

This is one of Mike's, I just shove it in root/Startup folder and then it gives full volume on bootup. And helps if you are listening to a bit of Thin Lizzy :)
Rename it to volume.sh or whatever you want.sh

Code is:
#!/bin/sh
amixer -c 0 -- sset Master playback 0dB
Attachments
volume.pet
(51 Bytes) Downloaded 54 times

Mike Walsh

#7 Post by Mike Walsh »

Smithy wrote:This is one of Mike's, I just shove it in root/Startup folder and then it gives full volume on bootup. And helps if you are listening to a bit of Thin Lizzy :)
Rename it to volume.sh or whatever you want.sh

Code is:
#!/bin/sh
amixer -c 0 -- sset Master playback 0dB
Hi, Smithy.

Yeah; looks like a modification of that script I researched & figured out for setting volume to a 'reasonable' level at boot-time for my start-up 'jingle'.

I initially had that set to -36 dB, which equates to around 16% on Retrovol's slider; I have, however, trimmed it back to approx -45 dB, which gives a softer 10% at boot. Don't want to blast me eardrums out, now do I? :lol:

Thinking about it, since all percentage levels for Retrovol equate to negative dB levels when viewed with Alsamixer, I guess 0 dB probably would give you 'flat out'!

I still think making sure you've got the 'Logarithmic' scale selected (as opposed to the 'Linear' one) makes the biggest single difference. It does for me, anyroad. Combine that with my powered & subwoofer-equipped 100W speaker system, and I can reach some deliciously obscene levels of auditory mayhem..!! :D :shock: :lol:

--------------------------------

@ tem2:-

Nowt showing, huh? Hmm.... I reckon if you right-click the volume icon, select 'Config window', then look under the 'Hardware' tab, you'll find everything is in the right-hand column.....which means it all needs moving across to the left-hand one before it'll show up. (Helps to maximise the window while you're doing this; makes it a lot easier to see what you're doing, like.) Try and make sure you get 'Master Volume' and 'PCM' at the top when you do this - makes 'em easier to find when you want them. The up/down buttons will let you re-arrange the order to your liking.

Mike. :wink:

tem2

#8 Post by tem2 »

Thanks guys! I think it's working. I wouldn't mind a little more volume, but it's certainly better than before.

My next quest is to get Bluetooth working on my puppy. Watch for my next new post if you have any advice.

jamespoo

#9 Post by jamespoo »

i thought my speakers where broken the volume was so low i just going to post this question

im glad that my speakers where not the problem

nic007

#10 Post by nic007 »

tem2 wrote:Thanks guys! I think it's working. I wouldn't mind a little more volume, but it's certainly better than before.

My next quest is to get Bluetooth working on my puppy. Watch for my next new post if you have any advice.
Yes, volume can still be low even if ALSA is set to the highest levels. Luckily VLC has a remarkable amplifier which enhances the sound exponentially. It also has a function under the audio button to enhance or lower the volume whilst playing, so you can just click on that in the menu. You can also set the "step" in gain in preferences, it's very powerful. Also - VLC has an excellent sound equalizer, much better than any other player I have used.

bigpup

#11 Post by bigpup »

This also works in general in Retrovol

Add a preamp into Retrovol
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90759
May have to reboot several times before this gets into Retrovol.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)