Palemoon not updating

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
fernan

Palemoon not updating

#1 Post by fernan »

Hello. I'm getting this "latest version number could not be retrieved " error in my 4 computers running tahrpup, at 2 different homes.
Is the updater "down", or should I update some server address?

Same is happening with "Getflashplayer", it doesn't work anymore.

Installed "tahrfix8" from the thar updates menu item.

a_salty_dogg

#2 Post by a_salty_dogg »

Trying to update from version 27.9.4?
That'll be because from the next version, 28.0.0 and onwards, the Palemoon Updater has been deprecated so will no longer work.

Need to update manually by downloading the tarball from here and extract its contents to /opt/, which overwrites the current install version.
Then future versions can be updated from within the browser at "Help > About Pale Moon > Check for Updates".

Please note version 28 changes the format of your profile folder at "~/.moonchild productions" and you'd lose your personal settings if you ever decided, for any reason, to go back to version 27, so it may be a good idea to back it up before updating?

Sorry, can't help you with your problem with "Getflashplayer", since it's never worked for me! :oops:

fernan

#3 Post by fernan »

Thank's very much.

Yes, I see I have 27.9.4 version.

I'll try to update in one machine, backing up settings and so.

I've read Flash player not supporting linux anymore, perhaps the update channel is down, or moved. It worked fine until the last month. Now I can't even install flash in a recent installation. I manually copied "flashplayer.so" from another machine.

fernan

#4 Post by fernan »

BTW, do you recommend to update to this version?? I have some performance issues with my version, specially with the facebook site, and I always hope the next version will perform better.

a_salty_dogg

#5 Post by a_salty_dogg »

Personally I have to say I've honestly seen no advantage in installing version 28.0.0 (28.0.1 is now available btw) and some disadvantage in that it no longer works properly on the YouTube site, (though others' results vary!) so have only updated one Puppy, Xenial, for testing, and left the rest running on 27.9.4, or rolled back to it, until the dev can hopefully smooth out the bugs. Not experienced problems on any other sites as yet.
Also some have also reported it's slower than before but I don't find that on my machine (have just acquired two weeks ago a wondrous new desktop with dual core CPU and a massive 4 GB RAM, and everything flies along! :D )

Haven't used Faceache for a very long time so can't comment. It runs fine on Twitter though, which is my chosen poison; all features work as intended, both on 27.x.x and 28.

EDIT - Just visited Facebook in Xenial 7.06 running Palemoon 28.0.1 (in Private Browsing mode natch! :wink: ) and all seemed to load and display correctly, and an embedded cat video in a group played fine; even chat worked!

fernan

#6 Post by fernan »

Videos embedded in Facebook stopped working in my Puppies, but seems some change in facebook page, because it was working before in my setup.

I'll leave it alone by now, and update only when needed.

bigpup

#7 Post by bigpup »

Get Flash
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=74491
They keep changing the download location and Getflash needs to be updated to reflect that.

Download and install this latest pet.

Getflash 1.7.1
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 815#960815

If this version works OK for you.
Anytime it stops working. Go back to the Getflash topic and see what the latest version is.

I see at the end of the topic is some manual changes you could make.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

fernan

#8 Post by fernan »

THANKS THANKS THANKS !!

Solved my 2 issues (Y) (Y)

I thought the getflash was updated automatically through the "tahr updates"